Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-06-09, 11:59 AM  
myndee15
VF Supporter

Cardio with Chalean extreme

I'v been away from Video Fitness for a while. This topic may have already been discussed. I am thinking of doing the Chalean Extreme program soon. I notice in the the program she doesn't discuss cardio. Do I still need to do cardio along with the program or can I just do the program as prescribed still possibly get results? For those who have done or is doing the Chalean Extreme program, did you do any cardio with the program? If so , how much cardio did you do?

myndee15
myndee15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 12:12 PM  
naturallove

CLX has 2 cardio workouts that come with it. One is an interval cardio workout that I really enjoy, and one is more of a AWT type of deal using light weights (I didn't love it). A lot of VFers, and the Beachbody test group added more cardio to the rotation, others did not. There are several lists floating around of substitutions for the two cardio workouts as well. HTH!
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 12:42 PM  
MARIKA

I struggled with this too.

I wanted to do the program as designed but felt guilty about not doing more cardio especially after coming off Insanity. I think Chalene should have been more specific about adding more cardio. I just started the Push Phase & have been adding 3 short but intense spin sessions per week! The fact that CLX is short which is so nice, makes it easy to add on.
Old 11-06-09, 12:53 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i'm in week 3 of Burn. i only use the weights disc (which amounts to 3 clx toning workouts a week) and the other 3-4 for days, i do barre for elongations/core work and dance workouts for cardio.

i also make sure that my pedometer reads 5 miles/day for 3 days a week. i strive for 5 miles (vs. 10,000 steps) because i have short legs.

so far, i've been losing weight. most people gain weight or stay the same during burn. i've also "broken a plateau" in the body fat % department.

i'm loving this rotation. if i'm not in a rush in the morning, i'll do a fun cardio workout after my burn workout (which doesn't go past 35 min or so).

i'm also not feeling the intense hunger that sometimes accompanies heavy lifting - i'm mindful and just basking in the DOMS glow. the mindfulness is allowing calm and rational thinking to take charge.

ok zen speech over.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 01:55 PM  
myndee15
VF Supporter

Thanks for the replies. I will add some cardio with the program. When I did a Slim Series rotation, I gained weight because I did not do enough cardio. My body needs cardio to keep the pounds from creeping on.

myndee15
myndee15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 02:29 PM  
AnMrsDe

I usually start with a 15-20 min. of cardio before my strength workout. I'm not a fan of Chalene's warm ups and cool downs. I find them incomplete, so I always add my own. Doing the cardio before, I find that warms me up and has my HR up which burns more calories during the strength workout. I don't find this practice to fatigue me too much for the strength workout. Sometimes I also add on more cardio (30 min.) to the Burn Intervals and Burn It Off workouts. I love how short the CLX workouts are, which make it very easy to add on other instructors' workouts, so I don't miss them too much.

I found adding in more cardio during the Burn Phase was easy. The Push Phase took more out of me, and I found I needed to concentrate more on the strength workouts, so sometimes I forego the cardio beforehand. I'm currently in the 2nd week of Lean, and am finding this Phase the hardest of all. I am trying to keep up with the extra cardio, though. Another thing that is helping, I have lots of raking and yard work to do - which I count as cardio, too!

Today was the first time in the rotation that I "cheated". Instead of doing Burn It Off, I pulled out Christi's Totally Hot Cardio and did the No Equip. abs from Cathe's Ab Circuits. I guess I kept them in the same genres, LOL, but just felt a little funny subbing for the intended workout.

I'm getting the Deluxe workouts next week, so I'm looking forward to more of a challenge! I didn't think I would grow bored with BI or BIO, but I am finding I need a change, LOL!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 08:21 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnMrsDe View Post
I'm getting the Deluxe workouts next week, so I'm looking forward to more of a challenge! I didn't think I would grow bored with BI or BIO, but I am finding I need a change, LOL!
Are the Deluxe workouts on Disc 7? I purchased the Burn, push and Lean circuits through yayas and might trade for Disc 7. Are the workouts on disc 7 cardio workouts or cardio/weight intervals? I tried BIO and BI in a temp trade and did not care for them because I prefer straight cardio to cardio/weight intervals, especially if I am going to be doing a heavy lifting program. I am planning on doing my own cardio when I start CLX in a few weeks but am curious about Disc 7. TIA for more info

Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 08:41 AM  
sherry7899

Leslie,

Here is a breakdown of the exercises for disc 7, very kindly posted by waterbabie. Hopefully it will help you decide if you want the disc or not.

Sherry

Fat Burn Challenge – DVD 7 (CARRIEKEELE OF FIRMBELIVERS/fit1)
32 minutes total
warm up/stretch 4:48
jump rope drills 2:00
jumping jack drills 3:00
plyo lunges 2:25
break - catch breath, drink water, breath :30
hit 1:07
plyo sculpting with thigh band 3:06
modified burpee 1:09
break - catch breath, drink water, breath :30
moving prisoner lunges 2:06
crosses & zig zags 2:09
squats 1:24
giant leaps 2:40
squats 1:30
lateral lunge 1:00
cool down/stretch 3:03

Get Lean Intervals – DVD 7 (CARRIEKEELE OF FIRMBELIVERS/fit1)
Total: 41:39
warm up 4:27
kickboxing drills 1:54
bicep curls w/ sumo savat 2:03
single leg floor tap 1:22
squat w/ lateral raise 1:20
squats :22
plyo plank jumps 1:03
overhead press 2:27
jump rope drills 2:02
lunge w/ tricep extension 2:00
mountain climbers 1:10
squat w/ chop block 2:24
jumping jacks 1:39
overhead press 2:25
speed skate 1:36
step taps 2:11
screamers 1:41
lunge w/ row 2:26
kickboxing drills 1:46
squats 1:41
cool down 3:42

I've Got Abs – DVD 7 (CARRIEKEELE OF FIRMBELIVERS/fit1
total time: 15:17
moving cat :39
push ups :42
crunches 1:52
crunches w/ knee in :36
walk up thighs :35
criss cross :23
push ups :35
crunches 1:40
single leg stretch :34
crunches 1:40
single leg stretch :34
push ups :57
weighted crunches :51
weighted side pikes 1:12
weighted slide 1:13
plank work 2:07
back extensions/stretch 1:24
Old 11-28-09, 09:16 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Thanks Sherry. I still think I am going to go with my own cardio just so I don't OD on Chalene. May try this on a temp trade however. Thanks for the breakdown.

Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 10:05 AM  
gigi

I want to do CLX with Shock Cardio when it comes out. I think some of the shorter cardio workouts will compliment CLX well.

Tags
chalean extreme, chalene johnson, clx, plateau