Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-09, 11:04 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Jillian Michaels: 'Perfect' weight-loss day

Jillian addressed the question of what would be a 'perfect' weight loss day on a recent podcast. She clarified that she did not mean 'typical day she herself prefers' because she is not in weight loss mode, and she did not mean 'typical day at Biggest Loser ranch' because that is insane. She means what an average person trying to lose weight should aim for if they were having a 'perfect' day. Here were her recommendations:

(Diet related material removed by moderator. Please remember VFs "no diet talk" guidelines. Thank you)

Exercise for a minimum of one hour. She emphasized that this was non-negotioable. You could break it into two 30-minute sessions, but it had to be an hour total, and you have to push yourself and go hard during this hour.

Aim to get in little fitness or activity breaks whenever you can. This is called 'non-exercise activity thermogenesis.' She emphasized that this is NOT a substitute for the required workout and that in her opinion nobody ever makes or breaks their weight loss program by taking the stairs instead of the elevator or parking at the back of the parking lot. BUT she also says that if you are diligent about this and take it seriously, you can burn off an extra 300-400 calories a day.

And that's it! She concludes that if you follow these suggestions for 5 out of 7 days...
(Diet related material removed)

exercise for one hour at high intensity
aim to burn 300-400 calories more with NEAT

...you should 'easily' lose 2-4 pounds a week (up to 5 if you are a man)

What do you think?
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-09, 11:14 PM  
ilovemybirds

It's an interesting idea. I suppose it 'could' work. I know for me, I don't want to count calories, and I don't necessarily want to worry about balancing my meals. I'm happy doing portion control (I won't say any more about diet).
I know there are some people who do better when they exercise with less intensity. I started doing a lot of walking recently, and I aim for 3 UB, 3-4 abs/core workouts, and 1 LB workout a week. Since I started this plan, I FINALLY broke the weight plateau I've been stuck in for 3 months.
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-09, 12:14 AM  
jhardy

Thanks for posting. Is there anyway you can post a link to the podcast? I would love to listen to it, especially her other guidelines not mentioned.
Jen
jhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-09, 01:20 AM  
Janga

Plus, does that include taking the diet pills she has put her name on ... the fat burner and the calorie stopper (or whatever it is called)?

I'm sorry, I find her really hypocritical ever since I saw the giant ads that came out in two recent mags that I've seen for these pills.

Sorry, I guess I am talking about "diet" on this diet free forum ...
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-09, 05:45 AM  
Charlene
VF Supporter

unless she's resumed the show, Jillian hasn't done a radio show (podcast) since mid-july, when she quit abruptly and without warning (coincidently, I'm sure, after the show in which she bashed the biggest losers sponsors pretty hard, LOL). I think this topic was her last show, and it was interesting to hear the variations between a 'real' good day and a biggest loser good day.

"“Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again , come , come.”

Rumi.

Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.
Rumi
Charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-09, 06:11 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janga View Post
Plus, does that include taking the diet pills she has put her name on ... the fat burner and the calorie stopper (or whatever it is called)?

I'm sorry, I find her really hypocritical ever since I saw the giant ads that came out in two recent mags that I've seen for these pills.
I completely agree. I was really disappointed to see Jillian had gone in that direction. She lost so much credibility with me.
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-09, 06:27 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

I'm not a follower of Biggest Loser, don't have any of JM's workouts, have never listened to her or read any of her writings. I've heard she's a bit abrasive, maybe arrogant, compassionate, thoughtful. Now she has excellent advice for a "perfect weightloss" day...which could also be called a perfectly healthy fitness day...and is pushing diet pills Her advice on her perfect day is really pretty good. I have to modify a lot given the heat/humidity and the demands of my job lately...but I have to admit, I follow her recs pretty (count calories, eat every few hours, stairs more than elevators, a lot of walking...I'm not getting in a workout every day right now...) much.
Old 08-29-09, 06:57 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene View Post
unless she's resumed the show, Jillian hasn't done a radio show (podcast) since mid-july, when she quit abruptly and without warning (coincidently, I'm sure, after the show in which she bashed the biggest losers sponsors pretty hard, LOL). I think this topic was her last show, and it was interesting to hear the variations between a 'real' good day and a biggest loser good day.

Charlene that is surprising. Why was she p*ssed at the sponsors (doesn't seem smart on her part)?
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-09, 07:43 AM  
daisyduke

This seems like the basic recommendation for any weight loss, doesn't it? Eat less (or within your daily calorie requirement), eat high quality foods and move more.

I like Jillian. I loved her podcasts. I love her 'tough love.' I think she has good intentions for sure. I love her workouts. I'm not too keen on the supplements, and I'm surprised she went down that road. I don't know much about them, though, so I am not in a position to judge.

Hedygs - She is really into healthy eating and good nutrition. I don't know who sponsors Biggest Loser because I don't live in the US. But if one of the sponsors is a Cola company - she is not promoting their product AT ALL. She was very verbal on her radio show about her dislikes regarding processed foods/colas/etc and those seem to be the companies with enough funding to do major sponsorships. Let's face it - unfortunately, most farmers don't have the funding to promote carrots and lettuce. : )
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-09, 07:46 AM  
violingal3

I don't know what's going on with the Jillian drama, but from what the OP posted, sounds like nothing new to me but common sense!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jillian michaels, plateau