Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-16, 08:27 AM  
Vantreesta

I have to stop looking at threads like this bc they make me buy even more for fear I won't be able to get DVDs anymore or that I'll somehow get bored with the 700+ workouts I already have!!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-16, 09:53 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
I have a desktop IMac, and it didn't come with a DVD player, either. I bought an external DVD drive, and it works great.
Did you purchase external DVD drive from Apple, or another brand?

I just got my new iMac 3-4 weeks ago and I purchased external DVD drive from Apple at the same time. Then I read some reviews that were rather mixed and I decided to return it without even opening it. I will probably purchase one again, but need to do better research ahead of time.

I would love to hear some more feedback on external DVD drives. Thanks!
Old 03-21-16, 10:01 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
Yep!! To add, I don't need the hassle of "futzing" with devices and deal with freezing. When I get home from work, I want to get right to my workout and not worry about tech stuff. And yes, I like to own my workouts. I am looking at some older dvds that I may have missed out on, in case they become no longer available in a couple years. I really don't feel like I am missing out on anything with streaming and downloads. To subscribe to a streaming service for one instructors workouts, not my thing. And I am not giving up working out with a bigger screen tv to a computer monitor. Whatever floats your boat.
I feel the same way - I hate having to research with every thingie that plugs into the tv, is it Youtube or Hulu or Plex or whatever compatible, and how do you get it to work? I wish there could be one big standard, like VHS or DVD.

But it's a fact, the internet is the millennial generation's TV. My teen and tween spend a lot more time watching Youtube and other streaming sites than TV, and they even prefer to stream popular shows like Gravity Falls or Steven Universe, sometimes while the show is on! Saying you have to be home at a certain day or time to watch something, is as quaint to them as gathering around a radio to listen to Jack Benny.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-16, 12:33 PM  
Betty Boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Did you purchase external DVD drive from Apple, or another brand?

I just got my new iMac 3-4 weeks ago and I purchased external DVD drive from Apple at the same time. Then I read some reviews that were rather mixed and I decided to return it without even opening it. I will probably purchase one again, but need to do better research ahead of time.

I would love to hear some more feedback on external DVD drives. Thanks!
I got mine from Office Depot, because I knew I wouldn't have any problems if I needed to return it. It's a Kanguru Slim. I got it a few years ago, so I'm not sure if it's the same model that is currently on the web site. I originally bought it because the internal DVD drive in my old IMac stopped working. Then I got my new IMac last year and switched it over. I'm very pleased with it, and it takes up hardly any room. I see a Slim model on the Kanguru site https://www.kanguru.com which looks to be in the price range that I paid. That one is different from the one currently shown on the Office Depot site. If you're interested in the Kanguru one, you might want to contact the company and ask about the model.
Old 03-21-16, 12:35 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
I got mine from Office Depot, because I knew I wouldn't have any problems if I needed to return it. It's a Kanguru Slim. I got it a few years ago, so I'm not sure if it's the same model that is currently on the web site. I originally bought it because the internal DVD drive in my old IMac stopped working. Then I got my new IMac last year and switched it over. I'm very pleased with it, and it takes up hardly any room. I see a Slim model on the Kanguru site https://www.kanguru.com which looks to be in the price range that I paid. That one is different from the one currently shown on the Office Depot site. If you're interested in the Kanguru one, you might want to contact the company and ask about the model.
Thank you Carol. I'll definitely look into it.
Old 03-21-16, 02:33 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I also still have some of my VHS tapes. I like DVDs and downloads. Streaming sometimes freezes on me. Even though, I know that there are excellent workouts for free on youtube, it's overwhelming. There are too many choices. I don't mind doing workouts from my collection that I know are effective again. It's better than trying a new workout on youtube and finding out that you don't like it. That would feel like I'm wasting my time.
Old 03-21-16, 02:40 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Remember a few years back when there were the "HD DVD vs. Blu-ray" format wars?

Now, it really doesn't matter who "won."

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-16, 05:02 PM  
beanpeanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
I love my dvds. . I love going back to old workouts. Last week to did Bob Harper's and a slim series dvd. I Couldn't do that with streaming. I love Cathe live and powerstrikes. . But I cannot only do them. I like the variety of my dvds. . Old and new.
I know, I know! I feel just the same, love all my workout dvds and it is so fun to reach for a workout that hasn't been done for a long time.

Josephine
beanpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-16, 05:17 PM  
beanpeanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
Yep!! To add, I don't need the hassle of "futzing" with devices and deal with freezing. When I get home from work, I want to get right to my workout and not worry about tech stuff. And yes, I like to own my workouts. I am looking at some older dvds that I may have missed out on, in case they become no longer available in a couple years. I really don't feel like I am missing out on anything with streaming and downloads. To subscribe to a streaming service for one instructors workouts, not my thing. And I am not giving up working out with a bigger screen tv to a computer monitor. Whatever floats your boat.
I've been looking at purchasing some older dvds also, I really do worry about older titles soon being unavailable, too. In Fact, I just put an order in for several dvds on Gin Millers site, it mentioned that most of her titles will no longer be available on dvd.

Josephine
beanpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bandwagon bust, downloadable workouts, downloads, dvds versus streaming, end of dvds, external dvd drive, subscriptions