Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-11-15, 03:05 PM  
antbuko

Broken ribs take 6 weeks to heal.

"To help prevent a collapsed lung or lung infection, do slow deep-breathing and gentle coughing exercises every 2 hours. Holding a pillow or blanket against your injured rib can make these less painful. You may need to take your pain medicine first.

It is important to stay active. Do not rest in bed all day. Your health care provider will talk with you about when you can return to:

Your everyday activities
Work, which will depend on the type of job you have
Sports or other high impact activity
While you heal, avoid movements that put painful pressure on your ribs. These include doing crunches and pushing, pulling, or lifting heavy objects."

I don't recall seeing any rehab videos for rib fractures, but maybe someone else will chime in. Here are a bunch of short, free videos on the web, Youtube mostly, but do be careful.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+video&tbm=vid
Old 11-11-15, 03:25 PM  
eeyore

If two broken clean through count as multiple, it took me four months
eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-15, 04:59 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
Okay- I got my reports -- It's only 9 ribs!! So that's a bit better. My breathing isn't that bad and I didn't rupture a lung or anything. I do have asthma....but they sent me home with this breathing treatment to keep my lungs open. I'm hoping for the best.

My reports say I have 2 fractures in my spine and new herniated discs in my thoracic spine now, joy! Like I didn't have enough already!!

I'm just looking forward to being able to start Kundalini Meditations soon. That's at least something good for me.
Spinal fractures usually take at least 3 months to heal. They are usually extremely painful, as are herniated discs. Also, herniated discs can get worse if you move in certain ways, so you really need to do all activity under the care of a medical professional.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-15, 04:32 PM  
lorajc

thanks everyone.....the pain is starting to get more centered, as in where I can feel exactly where all of the fractures are now, rather than all spread out.....so, that's the first step towards healing. I'm taking the supplements recommended on-line and I bumped my protein intake (via protein drinks as I'm a vegetarian) up to 2 a day.

Funny thing, is my Family Doctor doesn't even want an appointment with me to make sure I heal okay! I guess he feels following up with the NeuroSurgeon for my spinal injuries is good enough. Hopefully, the Neurosurgeon will talk to me about my ribs too. I know he has x-ray equipment in his office and an MRI machine that is like a Coffin!!! that I won't be going in. I'm severely claustrophobic! When I worked for him (yes, used to work for him -- did transcription for him for 6 years) I had an MRI done in that machine and had an asthma attack. Maybe he'll x-ray my ribs for me to see how they are healing when I have my follow up. I hope he only x-rays my spine, as I'm not going into the coffin!! I'll have to go to an open MRI if he wants me to have one!!

Oh....also, I'm the one here that is big on the facial machines....and I was reading that the LED lights used on the face ....especially the Red and Infared ones are good for healing.....so I've been using my Red/Infared LightStim machine ....daily since it has a pretty big head on it. I move it all around on my ribs and then try to reach it back on my cervical spine. I can't reach back to the thoracic....but at least, I'm getting everything else. I also read that Microcurrent is good for healing, but my facial microcurrent is not very good and I can't afford a new one right now......I've been wanting one....but I haven't worked for a while. I'm in the process of starting a Perfume Oil biz....so money is tight. I haven't even, SHOCKER, purchased any Video's lately!! However, if you saw my VF Roost Sale list, you would know I have enough in my collection to keep me good for a while!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injuries, injury, rib injury