Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-14, 07:23 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

For all with foot/ankle problems, did your docs tell you to take any supplements? I don't take any vitamins but am starting to think I must be deficient in something for all these strange injuries to be happening. I was taking calcium after the stress fracture I had last year, but then got lazy and stopped.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-14, 10:38 AM  
PrairieGem

Ooooh, scooching over to sit next to Wish. I want to know, too. We give our severely arthritic dog fish oil, glucosamine/chondroitin, and something called Duralactin/microlactin, which is a kind of anti-inflammatory made from milk protein. The Duralactin has made a HUGE difference for her, and I want to try the human version, but it's hard to find. I keep meaning to ask my vet (who is getting ready to have knee surgery) what she takes, but oddly enough, we seem to have other things to talk about when I see her!
Old 09-28-14, 02:13 PM  
Bebop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2325 View Post
I have been dealing with a shoulder issue for about 5 months. finally went to an orthopedic who said i had a frozen shoulder and needed PT. Now the people at PT say it isn't a frozen shoudler- they think it is tendonitis or a tear. Meanwhile there are days where I can barely move my arm.
I feel your pain - literally. I have rotator cuff tendinitis. Went to an ortho only because my Primary care said I should go. Doctor diagnosed the tendinits and sent me to PT. PT helped a lot. I'm still not 100% and all I can lift is maybe 5lbs on a good day. Have to avoid lots of move now. Triceps - my lagging body part - can't do any over the head moves.

On a positive note - and back to poster who started the thread - we all experience these setbacks. Look at Cathe who had that knee problem. I hung on to my beginner workouts. No more heavy lifting for me but I modify what I can. You just do what you can do and be consistent and over time you will be back to where you were or close to it.

I have learned over the years from that fitness is a marathon, not a sprint. The body does have muscle memory and that fitness is cumulative. Don't push beyond what you can do and just take it a day at a time.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-14, 10:01 AM  
lorajc

Maybe. We can add what workouts have been good to modify with......touch I'm on day 5 of my most current injury and i know I need a gentle wo today ....feels like a horse trampled on my chest and my leg and foot are are swollen and black an blue as well as escaped........it sucks that it has to get worse before it gets better, but that's the truth.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-14, 10:22 AM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
I went from high intermediate to beginner....in three weeks. I'm glad I didn't trade away my beginner workouts. I hadn't used them in such a long time.

Anyone else in the same boat? What are you doing?
In the boat....I had a bad calf injury (still trying to figure out how that happened) and then caught the worst flu ever...literally off my feet and in bed for a week...still have that cough, although much better. Now, low and behold I have heel pain...yep, the dreaded PF caught up with me. I can't believe it's happening all at once...or so it seems. So, I am taking it easy. I should be happy for a break, but I need to work out to feel good. I do feel like I am back at step one...beginner in all my workouts.

Hope you are doing much better now.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-14, 10:26 AM  
donnamp

This is timely for, me, unfortunately.

I have had my share of aches and pains and back troubles, but my most recent "injury" is a posterior vitreous detachment (which sounds scarier and worse than it really is)

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/servic...ous-detachment

but, the symptoms are scary as they mimic a retinal detachment or tear. I'm also more prone to a retinal tear/detachment for about 6 weeks - I'm at week 2, right now. So, only four more to go (in theory).

My eye dr. recommended that I avoid heavy lifting, jogging (or other impact exercises) and inversions until I pass the "danger" point.

So, while not tragic, this has been an "interesting" experience. My only real symptom/problem right now is a bunch of new floaters in my affected eye. I am thankful for each day that I don't have further problems!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-14, 12:22 PM  
Sollamyn

Hi, Sherri, I hope you are back to your old self soon enough.

As for me, I am indeed working on recovery at the moment. I've had this achy left shoulder for longer than I can even remember (years!), and it was really starting to wear on me lately, so I finally saw my doctor a few weeks ago. X-rays came back fine so she prescribed 4 weeks of p.t. (I'm beginning week 3 now) and we'll see what happens. I am feeling better, but not 100%. If p.t. doesn't work, my doctor wants me to get an MRI. So--lately I've been doing p.t. for my shoulder on a daily basis (sometimes twice a day), plus p.t. for my lower back and knee. P.t. has now become a total body workout for me and it's quite time consuming, so I haven't been doing too much else in the way of workouts. Some walking and...well, really, that has been all I've done. Today I've picked out some DVDs that I consider 'fun' (they are short, too--mostly 20 minute or less), and that I am hoping will help motivate me to get back into the game of regular exercise.

Take care and hugs to everyone who is struggling.

Donna
Old 09-29-14, 08:29 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

So I went to the podiatrist today and found out I have tibial posterior tendon dysfunction. no idea how that happened but no lower body exercise for me for a while.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-14, 08:40 PM  
Bebop

Seems like so many of us are recovering from something. I think this is a positive thread in that those of us who can are modifying and still working out around our injury.

I think it's a credit to VF and the support we give each other. Funny, I used to hardly ever use my lower body workouts because upper body is what I need. Now that I have to eliminate a lot of upper body, I'm rediscovering some nice workouts for lower body that I ignored.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illness, injury, restarting, starting over