Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-11, 05:00 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfitmom View Post
I have been thinking of trying STS or something similar. I have the Gym Style workouts and tried those and did not see much change, but maybe I didn't rotate through them long enough. I know that I lose weight really well when I go to the gym and do weight training. I have had trouble replicating these results at home. So, in your opinion, do you think STS is the closest thing to replicating the type of weight training workout done at a gym?

.....I guess it is possible that most of the workouts I am doing are more toning than really enough to build muscle.
I think the difference for STS was that it was well structured so that I lifted progressively heavier (and generally fairly heavy through the entire program). I had used Cathe's other programs but didn't get near the results. I think there is a tendency for many folks to grab 3 standard size weights (let's say 10, 15 and 20 lbs) and stick with that for an entire rotation. STS pushed me to get progressively heavier (even if it was a half pound or pound more each time) so I could reach for heavier weights instead of being stuck at certain "standard" weights. Also, I tended to do 6-8 week rotations and STS pushed me to 12 weeks so I really had the chance to build a good base.

Your answer may be in your own reply. If you are losing better at the gym, maybe it's because you are better set up to lift heavier there. When you did the Gymstyles, did you start heavy and lift progressively heavier each time you went back? I'm thinking about trying to do a Slow & Heavy rotation with careful attention to making incremental increases each week. I had done S&H before with okay results but I'm going to push much harder and see if I can do better. I do think that STS has a great variety and mix of exercises so S&H will lack in that regard. But I'm betting that the heavy weight is the key because I've had plenty of programs that touted muscle confusion (P90X, which I love) but didn't give the great results I had with STS.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-11, 07:00 PM  
txfitmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
I think the difference for STS was that it was well structured so that I lifted progressively heavier (and generally fairly heavy through the entire program). I had used Cathe's other programs but didn't get near the results. I think there is a tendency for many folks to grab 3 standard size weights (let's say 10, 15 and 20 lbs) and stick with that for an entire rotation. STS pushed me to get progressively heavier (even if it was a half pound or pound more each time) so I could reach for heavier weights instead of being stuck at certain "standard" weights. Also, I tended to do 6-8 week rotations and STS pushed me to 12 weeks so I really had the chance to build a good base.

Your answer may be in your own reply. If you are losing better at the gym, maybe it's because you are better set up to lift heavier there. When you did the Gymstyles, did you start heavy and lift progressively heavier each time you went back? I'm thinking about trying to do a Slow & Heavy rotation with careful attention to making incremental increases each week. I had done S&H before with okay results but I'm going to push much harder and see if I can do better. I do think that STS has a great variety and mix of exercises so S&H will lack in that regard. But I'm betting that the heavy weight is the key because I've had plenty of programs that touted muscle confusion (P90X, which I love) but didn't give the great results I had with STS.

I think you brought up some good points. I do need to do a longer rotation. I also tend to pick shorter rotations like recent Jari Love one I did that only lasted about 5 weeks. I also struggle with increasing the weights on upper body work. I tend to have weak shoulders and a weak chest as well and this limits what I can do. At the same time, I try to push myself a little bit so I don't get stuck in a rut, but still not able to increase my weights as much as I would like. For example, in a recent KCM Split Sessions upper body workout, for most of the workout I used 8 pound weights and that was really pushing it for me. Some of the moves that focused on the shoulders more I had to go down a little in weight. The pushups I am getting better at, but still struggle to do a lot of pushups. When people say they use 15, 20 pounds or more of weight, I cringe because I am no where near that unless you are talking lower body then I could probably handle that.

As another example, when I go to the gym I do around 70-75 pounds on the leg press machine and 15-20 pounds on the bicep cable machine, but I find with free weights I have to go a lot lighter. My main problem at home is I have no way to gradually increase the weights...I only have sets of 3, 5, 8, and 10 and then my hubby has a 20 pound set of weights (I doubt if I could lift those for upper body). I probably need to go buy some new weights, but I don't want to spend a load of money for the fancy ones like Chalean uses. This thread is definitely making me realize I need to work on my strength more.

If I start from where I am now, at around 8 pounds for upper body, how often and how much should I increase this to make the changes as you described?
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-11, 07:47 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
...I also struggle with increasing the weights on upper body work. I tend to have weak shoulders and a weak chest as well and this limits what I can do. At the same time, I try to push myself a little bit so I don't get stuck in a rut, but still not able to increase my weights as much as I would like. For example, in a recent KCM Split Sessions upper body workout, for most of the workout I used 8 pound weights and that was really pushing it for me. Some of the moves that focused on the shoulders more I had to go down a little in weight. The pushups I am getting better at, but still struggle to do a lot of pushups. When people say they use 15, 20 pounds or more of weight, I cringe because I am no where near that unless you are talking lower body then I could probably handle that.

As another example, when I go to the gym I do around 70-75 pounds on the leg press machine and 15-20 pounds on the bicep cable machine, but I find with free weights I have to go a lot lighter. My main problem at home is I have no way to gradually increase the weights...I only have sets of 3, 5, 8, and 10 and then my hubby has a 20 pound set of weights (I doubt if I could lift those for upper body). I probably need to go buy some new weights, but I don't want to spend a load of money for the fancy ones like Chalean uses. This thread is definitely making me realize I need to work on my strength more.

If I start from where I am now, at around 8 pounds for upper body, how often and how much should I increase this to make the changes as you described?
The weight will vary considerably depending on your level of conditioning and the muscle group you are working. For example, with a 1-arm row (back muscles) you may be able to lift a 15-20lb weight. With shoulder work you typically use much lighter weights. By the end of STS, I think I maxed out at 50lbs for a row and I don't recall ever going over 20lbs for a shoulder. I would have to check my log sheets to be sure but I was in that ballpark at least. The workout manager for STS provided the increments for increasing weight as the program progressed. You can use weighted gloves or small plate weights to gradually increase. So if you can't make the jump from 8 to 10 lbs, you have the option of adding 1lb gloves so you can bridge with 9lb weights. Cathe sells adjustable, weighted gloves (I think they are cheaper on Amazon) and uses them in STS. I don't like the Chalean weights (too awkward for my short limbs) and I did just fine with regular weights and weighted gloves/plates. Also, there are tricks for increasing weights for leg work (like using a weighted vest) if your shoulders aren't up to hoisting a heavy barbell.

The nice thing about STS is that it is based on YOUR 1 rep max. You enter your info and can then print out the sheets which guide you on how much to increase every week. You don't have to worry about what every body else is lifting. And if you have weaker areas, the program will adjust for that because the weakness will show up in the 1 rep max.You may want to play with the workout manager (if you are not signed up at Cathe's forum, it takes about 2 minutes) to get a better idea of the program. You can use it to answer specific weight/body part questions based on your own level.
Old 08-30-11, 09:14 PM  
txfitmom

EnglishIvy, thanks for all the fabulous info about STS and weights in general. You have helped me out a lot. I did not know that Cathe had weighted gloves, I will have to look into that. Do you absolutely have to use a barbell to do STS properly?
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-11, 09:42 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
EnglishIvy, thanks for all the fabulous info about STS and weights in general. You have helped me out a lot. I did not know that Cathe had weighted gloves, I will have to look into that. Do you absolutely have to use a barbell to do STS properly?
Glad to help! You don't absolutely need a barbell but I think I made better progress because I had one. Being able to adjust plates gives you a lot more weight options. Also, I think I really gained a lot of strength in my chest because I had a barbell/weight bench (turbo tower) for presses. You can press dumbbells of course but with heavy weights it was easier/safer to have a place to rest the bar after pushing out the last rep. For me, it's really hard to set dumbbells down after I have exhausted myself. And bench presses really improved my push-ups. If you can't have a bar/tower/bench combo, you still get a LOT of chest work via push-ups. If you can afford a tower, it's great for back work too. Cathe does show options for using bands for back work though.

FYI, Cathe's weighted gloves

Don't let equipment keep you from doing STS. You can still make progress if you have to modify. But if you have the space and already know that you get good results in the gym, it might be worth the investment to give yourself a better home gym setting.

Tags
last 10 pounds, last 5 pounds, plateau, plateaus, weight loss