Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-15, 01:07 PM  
BamaTanya

Do any of you have a daily routine?

I'm fascinated by 5BX and XBX because of the simplicity.

I know Dr. Oz has talked about a daily yoga routine.

T-Tapp seems to be based on a daily routine.

I remember physical education in middle school -- the daily calisthenics and then run 2 laps before we'd get on with the game or learning planned.

I wonder what other simple, short, somewhat complete (total body) routines are out there. Has anyone updated XBX or found a similar modern routine?

I've been following Herbalife 24Fit for over a month, alternating strength/stability with cardio. I can't believe how soothing/comforting it has been to know what is expected each day. I've spent so much time trying new things all the time. Now I'm thinking that finding something simple (do I mean boring??) would be better for me than all the jumping around from style to style.

Any ideas?
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 01:22 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Yoga has been a constant for me for many years.

At one time I did nothing but David Swenson's Yoga Short Forms. I still do these practices frequently and am about to start doing the 45 minute routine 5-6 times a week for awhile, along with walking. I'm older now, so I don't do every chatturanga/up dog/down dog vinyasa--too many vinyasas bother my shoulders. Instead I will stay in plank throughout some of the vinyasas and then get into down dog and the end. I figure I am still benefiting by substituting plank. I modify other poses as I see fit. David is very encouraging about modifications and shows them throughout the routines.

I have done these routines for so long that I have memorized them, which is very nice when I want to do a yoga session at my own pace.

I suppose that I have a bent towards yoga practices where you follow a set order of poses. Ashtanga, Bikram, and kundalini yoga are all like this, and I like all 3 of these styles--Ashtanga in particular. I started my yoga practice with Ashtanga yoga over 15 years ago.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 01:23 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I have something of a daily stretching/foam rolling routine, but not one intended to promote fitness gains. Since the body adapts quickly, I would think doing the exact same thing might be counter-productive?
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 01:31 PM  
Kitten

Well I was doing a Supreme90 rotation. Then someone here put up links to the Body Beast worksheets & the rotation, so I switched because building muscle is what I'm working on.

I agree, the nice thing about rotations is not having to figure out what to do. My mornings look like this:

Wake up
Take out the dog
Feed the kittens
Grab water bottle out of fridge
Do whatever workout is scheduled while listening to a podcast.
At some point my husband wakes up and pours coffee for the both of us.

I can (now) exercise with a loose rotation I make up myself.

Also, I did a 30-day yoga challenge & that was fun & really improved my flexibility.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 02:03 PM  
Demeris

My only routine is to workout shortly after I wake up. I brush my teeth, drink some water, shimmy into a bra and loose T/cotton bottoms, turn on the dvd player/computer and start working out.

Sometimes I do the workout I selected the night before. Sometimes I choose a different workout. Sometimes it's stretching; sometimes it's weights; sometimes it's t-tapp; sometimes it's barre; sometimes it's cardio. But at least 6 days a week, I get up and do a workout.

With the exception of a couple of years in my 30s and a couple years in my 40s, this has been my routine since I started running in the early 80s.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 02:12 PM  
PhyllisG

My basic routine. Is to get up, have tea and work out. I generally follow a set rotation. It can be FeFit, 21 Day Fix, or just a few weeks of alternating Ellen Barrett. My most recent one was Beach Babe 3 followed by 2 and then 1. also like Barre3 rotation and BarreAmped. I just find it easier if I know what I am doing that day. If I have to choose, I get hung up.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 03:01 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I have the type of personality that rebels against a too rigid routine. Also, since I'm retired, I don't always get up at the same time. I do exercise in the AM shortly after waking up, but that's about it for routines for me.
Old 08-01-15, 03:21 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
My only routine is to workout shortly after I wake up. I brush my teeth, drink some water, shimmy into a bra and loose T/cotton bottoms, turn on the dvd player/computer and start working out.

Sometimes I do the workout I selected the night before. But at least 6 days a week, I get up and do a workout.
This is me I used to open every workout with sweet tea and a granola bar, but since I wake up too early for this now, I just don't.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 04:56 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

My routine is a cup of black coffee and some fruit before my (morning) workout. If I'm not on a rotation, I decide the night before which workout I'm doing, or at least narrow it down to two so I don't have indecision paralysis.
Old 08-01-15, 10:22 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I always walk, do CS, and an add on. Been the same for years now.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
daily workouts, herbalife 24