Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-15, 03:16 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

I just finished The Goldfinch. I have mixed feelings about it, though I mostly didn't like it. It was good writing and compelling, so I couldn't quit, but it was just depressing and way too long.

I love Lianne Moriarity, especially What Alice Forgot!
Old 06-11-15, 03:28 PM  
isebelleg44

I have read three books by Lianne Moriarity and Big Little Lies is my favorite of hers.

I am reading the Good House by Ann Leary and might bail on it. I also have The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell on my nightstand and might start that instead of continuing on with the other book. I have never read anything by Lisa Jewell.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 04:04 PM  
sherry7899

Isebelle- I just finished that Lisa Jewell book yesterday. It was very absorbing but I had a hard time really liking any of the characters. I just started her book "The Real Life of Melody Browne."

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 04:39 PM  
shelleyann

Emily. I've heard that about The Goldfinch also, so I've put off reading it.

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
shelleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 05:03 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyann View Post
Emily. I've heard that about The Goldfinch also, so I've put off reading it.
Me too, Shelley. I love that you're reading "Little Women" to your daughter! Mine isn't interested which makes me very sad because I loved it so much as a child and was hoping to share that with her. Also, my Little Women book has sentimental value to me and I was hoping to give it to her.

I am almost done with "The Girl on the Train." Definitely has me hooked, but I really dislike the characters.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 05:07 PM  
shelleyann

Girl on the Train characters....I disliked them too, Erika!!! Funny about Little Women, my copy is OLD and aged also, but a really nice, hard back copy. I read it long ago and now I'm reading it to Catelyn. I hope she keeps it someday. Sorry your dd didn't want to hear it.

I've not heard of Lisa Jewell...is this someone worth reading? If so, which book is good to start with?

Exercise should enhance your life! It should make you feel good & be fun, not drudgery or a beating.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive-to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." Marcus Aurelius
Old 06-11-15, 05:22 PM  
sherry7899

Shelley- it depends on your preference. Her earlier books were lighter chick lit. Her later books are more serious.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 05:45 PM  
shelleyann

Thank you, Sherry! I'll check them out.

Old 06-11-15, 11:41 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily B View Post
I just finished The Goldfinch. I have mixed feelings about it, though I mostly didn't like it. It was good writing and compelling, so I couldn't quit, but it was just depressing and way too long.

I love Lianne Moriarity, especially What Alice Forgot!
Agree on Goldfinch, and it didn't leave a longer term impression on me. So, in the long run, I didn't think it was a great book. The farther I am away from it, I think of the 3 books I could have read in the time it took me to read Goldfinch. I would like to hear what she has to say the point of the whole thing was. (although she may be one of those writers who insist the meaning is with the reader.)

In the middle of the same 4 books mentioned I've been reading. Scarlett the second in the Lunar series is not nearly as interesting and for big parts of it, when Scarlett is the focus, I'm like snooze.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-15, 12:27 AM  
videofit

Our local library has sales throughout the year of donated books and library books and DVDs. Picked up a brand new hard cover book for $1.00 -- Dangerous to Know: Women, Crime and Notoriety in the Early Republic. Discusses the intertwining lives of two women who became involved in a scandal involving murder, bigamy, kidnapping a governor, and running a newspaper.

Tags
audiobooks, books, reading, summer 2015