Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-15, 08:16 AM  
CabCalloway

Hi All,

About to start "Washington's Spies" by Alexander Rose. It's the non-fictional account of the spy network that existed on Long Island and New York City during the Revolutionary War. It's the basis for the AMC show TURN: Washington's Spies. That show takes great liberties with facts but is still quite entertaining. Although it's supposed to be set in the northeast, they apparently film it in Virginia. My DW and I love the show, so I bought her the book. She's just about done, so I'm itching to pick it up.
Regards,
CabC
CabCalloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 09:22 AM  
sherry7899

I finished "Finding Emma" which of course is left kind of unresolved (for the bigger picture-I don't want to give anything away) Of course, I ended up ordering the sequel "Emma's Secret."

I am reading Lisa Jewell's book "The House We Grew Up In" and I am caught up in it so far. I am trying to finish Rowan Coleman's "The Memory Book" which is slow, but well written.

Laura, if you want any/all please let me know

I gave up on "The Guest Cottage" by Nancy Thayer. It just ....stunk! The main character finds out her husband wants to divorce her and is leaving her for his young administrative assistant. The main character has practically no reaction at all. There is no depth to the characters or storytelling. What happened to this author? Her older books are SO much better!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 11:46 AM  
Judy W.

I read 'Secrets of a Charmed Life' by Susan Meissner. It's quite a tear-jerker, and I say that as one from whom tears are not easily jerked! World War II novels seem to be popular right now, although some are far better than others. This tale of the London blitz and its effects on 2 young sisters and their single (never married) mother is one of the better ones.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 12:13 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Judy - Secrets of a Charmed Life is on my wish list, so I am happy to see positive comments. I love her books. I read my first book of hers (new at the time - Fall of Marigolds) and have been catching up with her older ones ever since.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 12:27 PM  
sherry7899

I read and liked one or two of Susan Meissner's books. I will add it to my wish list. Thanks for posting about it!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 02:34 PM  
BunnyHop

Gave up on Mercedes Lackey's newest, From a High Tower. It's mashup of a Rapunzel retelling with some other not very interesting story elements from another writer.

I think I'm just tired of her writing style and apparent disinterest in story telling. In the intro to the story, she kinda takes a swipe at people who call her a hack, by mentioning that one definition of a hack is a horse, and trying to make the case that it gets you where you want to go. I'd suggest that any writer with her success and audience size really ought to be trying harder, and that a hack is actually a broken down horse on its last legs, unfit for a passenger. Trying to force it to carry the audience along? maybe beyond its powers.

Don't get me wrong. I don't begrudge her success, I hope she's got piles of money, lots of happiness and contentment with life, etc., but I really do think she's a better writer and story teller than her recent output would indicate. Churning out hack work 'writing' just for the money if she doesn't need the dough? Kinda insulting to her loyal audience.

Sorry to rant, but I guess I'm having a hard time accepting that she's just not a go-to author for me anymore.
Old 06-08-15, 05:25 PM  
Bluebelle

Last month I read If Hooks Could Kill and For Better or Worsted by Betty Hechtman. Both are crochet cozy mysteries. I really enjoyed them and was glad I was behind and read these back to back since the story line carried over to the next book.

Then I read The Target by David Balducci. Just love his stories. I usually read a few lunch hours a week at a coffee shop. No one ever comments on my books until this book. Had 2 people stop and comment on it. That was kinda funny.

Now I'm reading The Good, the Bad and the Emus by Donna Andrews. A very fun cozy series. I love thrillers and cozies. The series by Donna Andrews is probably my favorite cozy series. She always makes me laugh.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 05:27 PM  
Erica H.

Just finished "A Man Called Ove" which I liked a lot (and it made me cry). Moving on to "The Girl on the Train" which I don't think I'm going to like, but I'm hoping I will!

ETA: I also read Martin Short's book, "I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend." I am not really familiar with his work, but I did enjoy the book. It was very touching.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 05:41 PM  
PhyllisG

Read a couple of Liane Moriarity books. A new author for me and I enjoyed them....A Husbands Secret and something Lies.
Right now I am reading The Orphan Train and enjoying it more than I expected.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 06:02 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
Read a couple of Liane Moriarity books. A new author for me and I enjoyed them....A Husbands Secret and something Lies.
Right now I am reading The Orphan Train and enjoying it more than I expected.
I didn't like "The Husband's Secret" but I did like "Orphan Train."

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, reading, summer 2015