Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-26-20, 07:44 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Restarters: a new beginning starts here, anyone can join

Welcome restarters and anyone struggling!

Yesterday I did Kathy Smith's Pilates for Abs and the arm section of Method Precision Sculpting.

I'm usually pretty busy on Sunday morning and early afternoon so I will be back later.

Even if you haven't exercised post here about your issues.
Old 07-26-20, 02:16 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I'm trying to get back into fitness, after a long stretch of doing nothing.
I have been consistent with walking for the past year or two, but really am trying to add back weights and yoga and variety.
I have added something for a while, and then, for unknown reasons, stop.

Today I've done a little over an hour on the treadmill, and some Classical Stretch/Essentrics mini workouts from their site. I did a waist slimmer, a posture one, and something about hips. I've been doing balance exercises, too, after reading an article in a magazine a few days ago and not doing great on the test.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 02:21 PM  
LAC

Thank you Jane for getting this check-in up and running. I really need to add movement back to my days and to get back to a healthier place. I'm hoping that posting here with others motivates me to be more accountable!

For Sunday, July 26, I did:
  • Leslie Sansone 1 Mile Happy Walk from YouTube
  • Jane Adams Complete Floor Practice from her Gentle Yoga for Beginners DVD

Leslie has that walk posted online twice. One of them has a glitch in it and of course that is the version I somehow picked. I'm grateful she posts free content, but I really wish she would take the defective one down.

I have a few of Jane Adams' DVDs and haven't explored the content on all of them, so today's choice was new to me. I felt stiff as a board and totally uncoordinated while I was doing it, but my shins don't feel anywhere near as tight as they were this morning (a result of doing a lot of beach walking while on vacation this past week), so it did do me some good!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 05:37 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hello everyone,

I just came back to VF recently and happened to see Jane's post! Earlier this year I think I'd just gotten overwhelmed by my collection and my workout space felt like it was closing in. I had been doing mostly indoor walking, but with the start of the Covid-19 pandemic I began feeling anxious. So, I replaced my exercise habit with other hobbies, such as gardening. In Sept 2019, I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy and still suffer from some of the side effects (sinus trouble, hearing loss) as a result of the nerve damage. I also don't rest well and seem to be tired all the time, so had no motivation or energy to do much.

This week I began doing some gentle workouts, just to start moving again.

Cathe Friedrich

Mon. Fit Tower Slim & Trim (Beginner)
Wed. Fit Tower Long & Strong (Intermediate)
Fri. ICE (Intermediate Conditioning Extreme) To the Mat:Legs & Glutes
Sat. ICE (Intermediate Conditioning Extreme) Metabolic Total Body

Dean Pohlman (Body By Yoga)

Tues. Yoga Vitality:Chair Yoga for Healthy Aging (Level one)
Thurs. Yoga Vitality:Chair Yoga for Healthy Aging (Level two)

Miranda Esmonde White (Classical Stretch)

Sun. Season 11 Full Body Mobility, All Standing 1101 & 1104

After this weeks workouts, it was nice to get back into the swing of things though Cathe's Metabolic Total Body was a bit much for the first week. I want to begin incorporating the Fit Tower a bit more, since I neglected it last year altogether. It will give me an excuse to use some of my other barre workouts in combination with some other beginner/intermediate workouts.

Thanks again, Jane!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-20, 07:03 PM  
GypsyRose

Hello! Thanks for starting a Re-starters check-in.

I'm a perpetual re-starter and beginner, sometimes and advanced beginner but that's about it. My main goal is to move, be safe and get stronger. I want my body to feel good.

The past month I've been focusing on Margaret Richard's work, mostly her Unplugged. I was on a roll, got an infection, quit for a week, and today re-started again.

My plan with Margaret Richard will continue with some Richard Simmons and Leslie Sansone thrown in.

===========
Rose
GypsyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-20, 03:14 AM  
dlb

Hi all
My workout between Saturday & Sunday was 6 hours of weeding.Plus 1 hour of looking at dvd choices at Total Fitness. Probably doesn't count. After the weeding, I really needed to do a stretch dvd but was too tired.

Hopefully get something done before I start my work day (from home).

Thanks for starting the check-in.

Debbie
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-20, 04:20 AM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

Hi, I have had double rotator cuff surgeries. So I have weakness in my upper body. I fixate on posture and am convinced if I keep my scapulas down my shoulders work better. I worry dvd workouts are going to be too hard for me. So I started out with pilates. I did the intermediate sequence of Alycea Ungaro's book Pilates Body in Motion. Though my physical therapist told me pilates was too hard on my neck. But then my doctor told me my right arm was as good as it gets and I don't believe that. I am sure this check in is going to help me improve. Thanks for starting this, Jane.
Old 07-27-20, 08:21 AM  
SquishyMommy

Hi All!

I haven't worked out yet today, but hopefully will be able to fit it in. My schedule is insane between work and running the kids to all their activities. I am also dealing with a bone spur and plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I've done stretches and had the cortisone shot which helped temporarily, but the pain is still there, so it has greatly affected what workouts I can do. I bought a spinbike to help me get cardio in. I never knew how difficult spinning could be! I've done it a couple times now and my legs were on fire! Does anyone else here do any kind of spinning? Does it get easier??? LOL!
Old 07-27-20, 11:37 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I feel like I'm amongst friends here, after reading your posts so far!

SquishyMommy, I've had plantar fasciitis, too! You will get better, but it is slow going. It helps greatly to have more supportive shoes, especially if you are on hard surfaced flooring (tile, wood.) I used a knobby rubber stick roller religiously, as well as small rubber balls, foot strengthening and stretching exercises, and sometimes just a frozen small bottle of water, as a roller.

Softshoe, last year I had frozen shoulder so was also limited in what I could do. Physical therapy exercises helped, some Classical Stretch, stretch bands, etc.

Debbie, I was on Total Fitness for over an hour last night. I think we're just excited to get back to the exercise habit again. And, browsing or shopping can be a good motivator and incentive.

GypsyRose, I love Margaret's workouts but have neglected them along with many others.

LAC, I was doing Jane's workouts consistently last year. They are wonderful and scenery is great, too!

Glavtx, I think we've all fallen off the wagon and that's why we're all here to support each other along the way! I have a treadmill but it bores me to tears unless I'm watching a good TV program. I also needed more variety (besides walking) and that could have been why I stopped working out. Just bored with the routine of it all.

Jane, I knew you were a long time fan of Kathy Smith! I might pull out something from her collection soon!

Be back to post daily workout later....

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-20, 02:53 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Hi all!

Pam, I read while I walk most of the time, or I wouldn't spend nearly as much time on the treadmill. I don't go real fast, but I started doing it to get off my rear, since I spend so much free time reading.

SquishyMommy, I have a spin bike, and used to really use it - back when I really did all kinds of stuff! I did get on it last week, cause I thought it would be good for my knees, while upping my intensity. I've only looked at it so far today!

Debbie, I wish looking at dvds did count, cause I do that a lot. Pulling weeds counts,though.

Rose, the last weight work I've done was Margaret's Beauty to the Bone, just the upper body, I'm counting on you to inspire me to get a whole body workout done.

LAC, is there a way to tell the difference in the Happy Walk before you start it? I would like to try it, too.

Today, a little yard work, over an hour on the treadmill, and a few CS clips, one to jump start your weight loss, a waist one, and some showing the proper way to do different exercises. The weight loss one was only about 10 minutes, because it was just a demo, but it pointed out how far I have to go to get back into shape!

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miracle mile