Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-17, 08:53 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie_p View Post
I want to ditto this entire post except that I never took classes. Otherwise, yes on everything. My left hip has been bothering me, and it's been ages since I last melted. Need to hop on the roller!
Yes, I find I can get to a good place and neglect melting for a while, then everything starts hurting/stiffening up and I have to do it daily again for a while. I need to be more disciplined about doing it a few times a week even when I am not in pain or stiff. Preventative melting!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-17, 07:30 AM  
SquishyMommy

I have been interested in this for a long time and think I am ready to take the plunge and order. I really think it would help my husband who has all kind of issues, aching feet, lower back pain and stiff hips. I think MELT might really beneficial to him, but I'm am not sure how the roller will hold up under his use. He is 6'4" and 230 pounds. Do you all think the roller is sturdy enough that it won't get squished quickly under his weight? I definitely want to use it myself as well but will be very disappointed if his mass is too much for it. We already need to get a new couch and new mattress after only five years. It's funny, I look at him everyday and just don't think he is that big, but we are bombarded with looks and comments everywhere we go. He plays basketball and has a physical job, so he is in pretty good shape for his age, but all the sports and heavy lifting jobs are taking a toll. I think MELT would really help make him more comfortable. Any thoughts?
Old 02-17-17, 07:45 AM  
CarlaVeg

How do you learn how to do the MELT method? I am having muscle pain in my back ribs... I know VERY weird... I am taking muscle relaxant that helps, but I can't be on that stuff forever.... I also have neck and shoulder pain...

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-17, 11:03 AM  
winnie_p
VF Supporter

Talking

[QUOTE=SquishyMommy;2694972] He is 6'4" and 230 pounds. Do you all think the roller is sturdy enough that it won't get squished quickly under his weight? /QUOTE]

Even if he melts daily, he won't be spending large amounts of time on the roller. Each segment is 10 to 20 minutes, and the longer maintenance ones are up to an hour total. I am tall and sturdy and haven't experienced any flattening.

Cats seemed to love it when I loaned it to a friend, though. It came back with some claw marks and scratches.
winnie_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-17, 11:24 AM  
winnie_p
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaVeg View Post
How do you learn how to do the MELT method? I am having muscle pain in my back ribs... I know VERY weird... I am taking muscle relaxant that helps, but I can't be on that stuff forever.... I also have neck and shoulder pain...
I had a terrible bout with similar pain for several weeks. It was debilitating! Melt helped it (I use the DVDs), but what fixed it for me was a device called the backpod.

I found a YouTube video talking about costochondritis and ended up ordering it. For me, muscles weren't the source of pain, but pain definitely made it to muscles all around my neck, shoulders and ribs. The cause was ribs being out of place. My chiropractor adjusted them, but they wouldn't stay in place until I spent some time on either a half-dome foam roller or the backpod. I also used a nylabone dog bone to crack them back into place. It was no fun. I hope you figure out how to feel better, soon.

Last edited by winnie_p; 02-20-17 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Missing word
winnie_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-17, 12:58 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaVeg View Post
If you search on YouTube I'm sure you'll find some videos. You need a very soft foam roller (the melt roller is even softer than the softest roller I tried at my physical therapy gym) and soft balls. I don't have the official melt balls, so I don't know exactly how soft they are. I use some balls my kids have. I think I'm going to get the hand and foot kit. I am hopelessly devoted to melting!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 01:53 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

I'm late to the MELT party, but a friend recommended it to me (after complaining about my lower back/Hip/SI joint issues repeatedly, LOL!) - do I *need* the equipment - I have a regular foam roller and an assortment of balls at home.

I am going to pick up a copy of the book at the library today. I will probably want the DVDs as it is easier for me to learn something that way. But, I'm wondering if I need the equipment bundles, too.

I'm mostly going to use it for back issues - my hands and feet seem to be holding up!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 02:42 PM  
BunnyHop

The MELT roller is MUCH softer than a regular one, and that's the point.

Back when I first discovered the method, I cobbled together my own soft roller with a pool noodle that I wrapped in several layers of an old 3/4" foam workout mat. Taped it all together with duct tape. It's similar to the MELT roller, but the real one is nicer.
Old 02-23-17, 03:33 PM  
donnamp

Thanks, Anna - maybe I will splurge on the roller! I just picked the book up from the library and will read that through as well.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 06:18 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I just received my Melt package. Which Melt exercises do you find help achey hips the most?

Tags
melt method