Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-09, 11:21 AM  
juberann

How do YOU decide???

So, I'm looking at my video collection last night and realize I must downsize but,really, it has gotten out of hand,however, I just hate having regrets about getting rid of certain workouts and having to rebuy something
So,when it's time to do some serious Spring cleaning of your exercise video collection, how do you decide what to keep and what to let go?? I have workouts I have never done and others I havn't done in forever but still I keep them. What if?????
I know for sure my Leslie and TaeBo workouts stay (no doubt there) but I am so on the fence about my FIRM collection. I have almost every FIRM from BSS1-present (sometimes more then one copy of the same workout) but havn't done a FIRM workout in a very long time now but still I hold onto them. Sad thing is,space is now an issue for me AND we are planning to downsize and move into a smaller house soon so I am guessing it will become an even BIGGER issue very soon.
Advice anyone??? How to decide?? Thanks~ Judy
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 11:31 AM  
3ks

I usually go by my "gut" feeling.

If I see a workout and it makes me want to puke...I get rid of it. [for example, Prevention's Fight Cellulite or Amy Bento's dvds, ugh, or Amy Dixon's workouts]

OTOH, if I see a workout and it makes me "happy" and want to "move," I keep them and start planning a rotation. [for example, Low Max, Ripped & Chiseled, PUB, KCM's bootcamp, etc.]

That's how "I" do it.

Last edited by 3ks; 05-01-09 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Typo
3ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 11:32 AM  
ldy_solana

i slowly start doing the ones i haven't done in awhile. sometimes i find a gem that i forgotten about and sometimes i see why i don't reach for it often. a general rule(based on how many i have) i go with ones i haven't done for at least 4 months or longer and work them into a rotation. i also look at other options like i don't need so many total body workouts b/c many dvds i have, opt to have that premixed on the dvd so i traded off many of those.

we sometimes get overwhelmed with the workouts we aquire that we forget some of those awesome workouts so its good to at least do them before you make up your mind

kassia
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 11:38 AM  
SAF

Hi Judy!

I just went to the post office and mailed off a box of 21 dvds I finally decided to get rid of. It took me a while to decide, but I guess I did it based on the "dread" factor, if the set or instructor drove me "nuts", workout too fast to really feel it in your muscles, getting rid of pilates was easy, I can't stand it, too mechanical and robotic for me(except for Progressive Pilates, Maui Pilates, Caribbean Workout Pilates, and ones like that), got rid of ones that hurt my knees, including 6 Prevention workouts, but kept Move To Love....

So, it wasn't too hard too downsize my dvds, plus now, I have no dreaded workouts, just the ones I enjoy doing and get results at the same time.

Hope that helps a little!
SAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 11:44 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I found it was helpful to do a rotation trying to use all the workouts I never had done, or hadn't done for a while. I noticed that I kept "putting off" doing certain workouts, then realized that I probably would never do them, and got rid of them.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 11:45 AM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

I have 4x6" index cards in the cases of all of my workouts that tell me the last time I did that workout. When I'm downsizing, I check the dates and if I haven't done a particular workout in over a year, it's on my list. Then I do or preview all those workouts and if I find any of them boring, then to the trade box they go!
Old 05-01-09, 12:15 PM  
adrien_73

I have to admit that I am guilty of rebuying most of what I sell.

My tastes and needs in regards to fitness change quite often. So I am learning that it is better for me to keep a workout unless I really hate it! Besides, I used to be able to get close to what I paid for a newer workout when I would list it at yayas. Now it seems like I have to practically give stuff away to get it to move.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 12:16 PM  
videofit

I'm doing that now. If I just don't enjoy the workout, I get rid of it.
Old 05-01-09, 01:38 PM  
DejaDeb

Same thing here: I to do the ones I haven't done in a while to help me decide WHY I haven't done them in a while. If I like it (again), I keep it; if not, I usually give it away. And yes, I've gotten rid of PLENTY of workouts (mostly because I thought they were too slow) that I end up repurchasing (mostly because now I WANT to slow down!)
Old 05-01-09, 02:53 PM  
KathAL79

Some things that have worked for me (including some that have been mentioned before):

- Work through them in a loose rotation. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised by them, and sometimes I'm reminded why I haven't done them in a while.

- Set aside the videos I'm not sure about in a place I can't see. If several months later I suddenly remember I've done this and realize I haven't missed any of them, I probably won't miss them if they're gone for good.

- Sit down and ask myself why I've kept that video. Does it really have a place in my collection? How do I use it? If I don't use it regularly, why do I keep it around? If I'm holding onto it for more sentimental reasons, do they outweigh the negatives of having them occupy real estate on my shelves?

- Do some research on the video's availability, resale rate / demand level, etc. I rarely get the video's value in return, but especially when I'm eying something new that can be an incentive to move stuff along. Also, if it's readily available (and likely to be even cheaper or more readily available in the future, such as Leslies that are bound to go r/etail to a wider audience), then it's easier for me to let it go.

Good luck!

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
declutter, downsizing, large collection