Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-09, 06:37 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Slim Fast shakes have changed over the years. They're not nearly as 'bad' as they used to be. I really like to lower carb version; not much sugar at all.

Stephanie Huckabee says she uses the Magic Bullet all the time, too. I just bought a little personal blender because I couldn't find a Magic Bullet. Well, I actually one looked in one place.
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 07:02 PM  
Cowgirl32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
Pretty much anything with calories could made that claim. Actually, you could say that of food. Again, beware of the hype. If it's really so great, it would have independent studies supporting it's claims. Has anybody seen any?
Amen.
Old 05-08-09, 07:48 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcjasp View Post
Or just plain healthy...lots of the (here we go again...and this time this thread will be closed!) old veggies, fruits and whole grains. Lean protein.
Yup, totally agree. But for me, often, I simply don't have time to pull together a "real food" meal. For times like this, having something that is very healthy and fast/portable is key for me. I'm also not a big fan of cooking - the easier I can get in my nutrients, the better.

I can certainly see where some folks wouldn't be interested in this type of product in the least (and in certain times of the year, I don't need the convenience as much as other times). For others, it's a godsend.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 07:50 PM  
akaAnnie

My favorite and most used kitchen appliance was a hand blender. I used it two or three times a day for shakes/smoothies(feeding teenager). I'd just put milk, protein powder, fruit, cocoa, etc. in a pint ball canning jar, give it a quick blend and it was ready to go. Used the jar to drink from-easy to wash(both jar and blender). I say "used" because earlier this week it made a funny grinding noise then a "pop" and died. It cost 15 whole dollars in 1994 but I guess nothing lasts forever and they just don't make things like they usta. Now we are using an ancient, antique blender(think Carter administration)and it works but takes up more room, is not as quick to clean and even my son wants me to pour the shake into a glass to drink, making even more wash up.
But it's just a supplement or quick breakfast-we've got to eat anyway so it might as well be healthy and eliminate the need for expensive mixes.
Ann
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 08:03 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
But for me, often, I simply don't have time to pull together a "real food" meal. For times like this, having something that is very healthy and fast/portable is key for me.
No argument about that. The thing is, if you look at what's actually in this product and compare it to other like products on the market, this stuff appears to be a TOTAL RIP-OFF.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 08:07 PM  
RachelleS

I have the Back to Basics single cup blender and love it. I won it years ago and bought an extra one to have on hand in case the motor goes . It has a cover that you screw on and is almost like a coffee cup as you can open it and drink from it so it is easier to take on the go. I was able to buy extra cups and covers.

Rachelle
RachelleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 06:59 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

That's exactly the blender I bought the other day, Rachelle. Small investment - $22.

I agree with Michelle, but I keep forgetting about protein shakes (even canned ones). Sometimes I'm running around and end up skipping a meal or grabbing whatever I can find. Weekends are especially bad for me since I don't have my normal 'routine' of a breakfast, lunch and dinner time (plus a.m. and p.m. snack). Thats when I end up grabbing stuff because I didn't eat lunch, for example, and I'm starving in the middle of the afternoon. Making a quick protein shake would be easy.

I bought the blender and some whey protein power at GNC (although I'm not sure I shouldn't have gotten casein protein based on an article I just read). My next step is to track down some good protein shake recipes.
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 07:12 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
Yup, totally agree. But for me, often, I simply don't have time to pull together a "real food" meal. For times like this, having something that is very healthy and fast/portable is key for me. I'm also not a big fan of cooking - the easier I can get in my nutrients, the better.

I can certainly see where some folks wouldn't be interested in this type of product in the least (and in certain times of the year, I don't need the convenience as much as other times). For others, it's a godsend.
Of course these shakes are great when you don't have the time to fix up a "real meal". I guess I figure an apple or a Fiber 1 Bar does just as good or a container of yogurt. In the mornings, at least at work, I can't seem to get enough food in me to keep my stomach from complaining , but as the day wears on, it gets less cranky (my stomach). So I carry around the apple or banana and a bar and run down to the lunch room for the yogurt...have to eat something every couple hours!

And I am a bigger fan of cooking than you are (home economics major), so that makes it easier for me to prepare quick things I can grab and eat or research recipes for simple and quick things...but that also makes it easier for me to prepare things that are more fattening, too
Old 05-09-09, 07:52 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I used to like Whey 2 Go, but the last one I bought tasted funny. So, I got some Designer Whey and it is OK.

DH likes the chocolate EAS protein powder from Costco. It comes in a giant bag. They also sell pre-mixed Premier Protein shakes that are easy to take on hikes and car trips. They are very low in sugar and taste OK.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 01:00 PM  
GotToBeFit

Shakeology is out of my price range, but in one of my fitness magazine (oxygen maybe) was an advertisement for lean 1 nutrition 53 that sounded like it has a lot of the veggie stuff that shakeology has and is way cheaper. I was gonna try it cause they have packets you can buy to try it out.