Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-20, 12:24 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Endurance Check in March 2020 ~Run Bike Swim Hike

New month, new goals, newcomers welcome!

INTRO: This check-in celebrates the art of staying in motion. Some of us are training for marathons, some for 5Ks and others for triathlons. Some of us are just training for life or trying to keep up with life.

We talk a lot about running, but we are also cyclists, occasional swimmers, hikers, past and future triathletes and any other long distance sport you can think of. We struggle with fitting in all the workouts, what we "should" be doing to overcoming injuries and life's challenges. We learn from one another and trade training tips, links to cute workout clothes and, of course, recommendations for good workouts.

March questions:
1. Has spring shown signs of starting where you are?
2. What's your favorite thing about spring?
3. Any races this month?

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 12:30 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I had to start a new thread, couldn't let our check-in die!

I was hit with a stomach flu last week. Vantreesta, I'm so sad we didn't get to meet up. Hopefully I'm on the mend now. January and February tend to be the worst for me. I suspect this year I was sick even more than usual because I was going to bootcamp and the gym a lot and exposed to more germs than normal.

I'm on a campaign to stay healthy, so this whole week I didn't go to bootcamp or the gym.

My workout room was taken apart back in July. DH painted it and built me a medal rack. I sold a media rack and small shelf I had in there. That meant all the kids' books and all my DVDs sat on the floor in the room and in the hallway in front of it, which made it not appealing to work out in.

A couple weeks ago, I finally bought two cheap bookshelves and put everything back. That inspired me to do a big purge of DVDS which is ongoing, and made me want to work out in there again. So this week, I've run twice and done three DVDs.

I do plan to return to bootcamp and spin class next week. I'm heading to ATL Friday though so hopefully will stay well until then!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 03-06-20, 03:02 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for starting the new thread, Pratima! I got home Sunday and things have been a bit of whirlwind since then so I'm just kind of spinning. I hope to get back on track soon. I haven't worked out in weeks. I'm sorry we couldn't meet up too. It would have been fun but sometimes it just doesn't work out. I hope you're feeling back to normal soon. You've had quite a run of it this year! I still can't imagine purging my workouts. I'm still buying more at thrift stores, any I can that look good! Have a safe trip to ATL. I hope it goes well.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 06:13 PM  
Vantreesta

This morning I did Minna Lessig's Fat Eliminator. This is six 4-minute circuits of strength then cardio. I haven't worked out in a few weeks and was surprised how much this got my heart rate up. I have always loved Minna and this was perfect for me today. Cyric and I walked just over 4 miles before the workout and I did Slim & Limber after it.

March questions:
1. Has spring shown signs of starting where you are? At least half of our snow melted over the wknd so it's soggy brown outside. It's still too early to think spring is here though. It was 60 yesterday but only about 35 today.
2. What's your favorite thing about spring? Baseball starts again! That's what I hold onto bc until the slop is gone I am not a fan of the season.
3. Any races this month? Nope, not even in good enough shape for one right now.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 03-10-20, 05:55 PM  
Vantreesta

This morning I did Happy Yoga with Sarah Starr S1E2 and Classical Stretch S11E3. I have major DOMS from yesterday so I just wanted some easy movement.

Old 03-12-20, 03:51 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta, pulling all my workouts off the shelves and then having to put them back was eye-opening. There are some I didn't even want to put back, others I put in a cabinet with the thought that if I don't get them from it, I'll get rid of them soon.

March questions:
1. Has spring shown signs of starting where you are?
Yes--it's warmed up quite a bit, no more freezing temps. Lots of rain though!
2. What's your favorite thing about spring? I like that it's warm but not blisteringly hot! That brings out wildflowers, which are so pretty!
3. Any races this month? I was supposed to do a race this Saturday (more on that below) but am not. I am still planning to do Run3rd on March 28.

My family had a trip planned to ATL from tomorrow through Wednesday. I canceled last night because a friend said something about getting my dad and grandma sick. I think my family would be fine, but going through two airports and then staying with them might not be good for them. DD and I were going to do a race there but obviously won't now.

I'm feeling better. I STILL have a few days left of antibiotics. I'm running more, but OMG I am SO sore! I went to bootcamp twice so far this week and plan to go again tomorrow. Also went to spin once.

I took a whole big pack of wipes with me and completely wiped down the bike before and after!

Instead of the trip to GA, I booked a house up north. It's pretty expensive but I figured if all we do is drive up there and hang around the house, at least we did something! And we can cook at the house if we need to.

Coronavirus hasn't shut down anything much here yet, how about where you are?

Old 03-21-20, 08:47 PM  
Vantreesta

We are finally home. We stayed as long as we could but had to be home for Monday and started getting nervous about all the restrictions. So happy to see my little bubby boy. He was so excited to see me he peed a little. Just couldn't contain himself!

Old 03-25-20, 11:30 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Got back from Flagstaff Thursday and started working again Friday. It was so nice to get away! I did two trail runs and got to see snow.

The kids are of course home all day. I set them up with ways to message their friends (two school buddies for DS, one school friend and her gymnastics teammates for DD) and they're much better. I've given them sort of a checklist rather than a schedule and they both do pretty well with keeping busy. I feel guilty, like I should spend more time with them, but have been so busy at work since I was gone that it's just not an option. We do have meals together and walk a mile each day.

I signed up for the free 90 day Peloton membership and am really enjoying it. I tried a spin workout with my road bike on a trainer Monday. Yesterday I did Kelly Coffey's Build and Burn upper plus a 15 minute HIIT Peloton workout (no equipment). Today was Build and Burn lower body. I am apparently really out of shape because every workout makes me SO SORE!!

I was pretty frustrated, annoyed, etc. yesterday. I thought I'd finally made it through my horrible 2019 and could relax but no. Then in the evening I did a virtual happy hour with a group of friends for one lady's birthday. That was so nice! We met via Zoom and chatted for about an hour.

I suppose we're finding our new-for-now normal. The hardest part is probably knowing how long this will last. I miss my little hourlong outing to the gym or bootcamp!

Old 03-25-20, 12:16 PM  
Vantreesta

I'm tempted to try the Peleton app. What information did you have to give to sign up? And I assume I could only do it on my phone? I have no way to do it from my TV but didn't know if I could from my laptop.

Old 03-25-20, 01:26 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

If you go to the website, you have to enter a credit card, but if you go through the app, you just put in your name and email. I put the app on our Fire Stick and used it on the TV. I have it on my phone now too.