Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-20, 07:12 AM  
Diana3271

Question Need a recommendation

I have neck/shoulder issues. I carry a lot of tension in those areas. I stretch and I am getting back to massage therapy for help with the tightness. I am looking for a full body weight workout that uses lighter weights #5 or less, that's not shoulder intensive and doesn't go to the floor much if any, I don't do push ups, burpees, etc. I skip through those. Any recommendations? TIA

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 07:55 AM  
LAC

I have neck/shoulder issues (cervical disc and nerve damage) and I also carry a lot of tension there. I spent a good portion of last year in physical therapy and they mostly had me work with tubing and bands and they made me work at a much, much slower pace than what happens in most videos. I've been on the hunt for a similar video ever since and haven't really found anything that fills the bill (most are too fast paced and the ones that aren't tend to feel like they are meant for somebody 100 years old). I'll be interested to see what people recommend to you.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 12:18 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think Kathy Smith's Secrets to a Great Upper body is shoulder friendly. There are no shoulder presses. You work the deltoids in all three directions with light weights. I only use 3 or 5 lbs when I do it.

The lower body portion is quite a bit different. You may not like that as well. Kathy uses no equipment besides a chair. I generally will cut out some of the exercises in the middle and just do basic squats and lunges without holding any dumbells.

As for one single total body workout that doesn't rep you to death. I haven't found one. Maybe others will chime in.
Old 05-30-20, 01:00 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

+1 to Jane's recommendation. I don't have it anymore but I remember another good option being Karen Voight's Firm Arms & Back, and maybe the Powerfit series with Stephanie Huckabee (that uses bands)?

And maybe Gilad's Arms of Steel? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efyK...&index=36&t=0s

And lots of band options on Jessica Smith's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...F2ov1-_kQUtNaf (and you can always search for her gentler options which include chair workouts)

And perhaps Petra Kolber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBLZL05MvAE
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 08:34 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
I have neck/shoulder issues (cervical disc and nerve damage) and I also carry a lot of tension there. I spent a good portion of last year in physical therapy and they mostly had me work with tubing and bands and they made me work at a much, much slower pace than what happens in most videos. I've been on the hunt for a similar video ever since and haven't really found anything that fills the bill (most are too fast paced and the ones that aren't tend to feel like they are meant for somebody 100 years old). I'll be interested to see what people recommend to you.
Hang in there. I have gone through physical therapy and chiropractic care, neither were helpful. The only thing that helped with the tension feeling and pain is accupressure. I feel the weight training exasperates that tension feeling. I had to stop with the accupressure massage due to COVID19. In that time we closed our business and I had to lift a lot of heavy stuff. I have been feeling a lot of tension since. Thursday I went for a focus massage and it was very similar to the accupressure massage. I told the massage therapist what the previous people did. Hopefully it will work again.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 05-30-20, 08:35 PM  
Diana3271

Thank you for the suggestions. I will check my collection and look for video clips online.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 05-30-20, 09:49 PM  
Sissy B

It’s not strength training, but I have neck and shoulder issues and I really like the Mountain Pose Series practice from the Ultimate Yogi with Travis Eliot.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 05:14 AM  
soulflower

Beyond Balletone - it’s not strength training either, but it always feels like a gentle way to tone all over

Elegant Strength by Petra Kolber - I’m not really familiar with this one, perhaps it fits the bill
soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 11:30 AM  
Tugger31

I also have neck/cervical/shoulder issues and had surgery last Fall. Since then I know that if I slack off on my PT stretches I get tight even before I realize it! I realize how tight I am when I start to stretch. I do twice daily stretches for my neck and front of the shoulder/upper chest area. For strength I have found that working the posterior delts and the mid back area as well as doing bird dogs and elbow planks on a regular basis has helped my posture which in turn has helped my neck and shoulders. I started with bands and now rarely go heavier than 5 lbs. I also never do any overhead exercises or upright rows anymore. For lateral raises I make sure my hands are oriented in a thumbs up position instead of palm down. This really helps to keep the shoulders open. For mid back I do T and Y raises laying on a stability ball. I never go heavier than 3 lbs. Slow and steady progress is the key and I can't stress enough how much consistency is so important. Good luck!!

I have found that some of my "slow and heavy" dvds, even Cathe, work best b/c of the pace. I just use lower weights and bands and substitute what I can do for any overhead exercises or certain back and tricep work. I have it down to an art form now. So you may have luck looking for "heavier" weight training dvds and just going lighter b/c the pace of these seem to be slower than the light weight/higher rep workouts, or if you do those just do every other rep.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 12:01 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I also have neck/cervical/shoulder issues and had surgery last Fall. Since then I know that if I slack off on my PT stretches I get tight even before I realize it! I realize how tight I am when I start to stretch. I do twice daily stretches for my neck and front of the shoulder/upper chest area. For strength I have found that working the posterior delts and the mid back area as well as doing bird dogs and elbow planks on a regular basis has helped my posture which in turn has helped my neck and shoulders. I started with bands and now rarely go heavier than 5 lbs. I also never do any overhead exercises or upright rows anymore. For lateral raises I make sure my hands are oriented in a thumbs up position instead of palm down. This really helps to keep the shoulders open. For mid back I do T and Y raises laying on a stability ball. I never go heavier than 3 lbs. Slow and steady progress is the key and I can't stress enough how much consistency is so important. Good luck!!

I have found that some of my "slow and heavy" dvds, even Cathe, work best b/c of the pace. I just use lower weights and bands and substitute what I can do for any overhead exercises or certain back and tricep work. I have it down to an art form now. So you may have luck looking for "heavier" weight training dvds and just going lighter b/c the pace of these seem to be slower than the light weight/higher rep workouts, or if you do those just do every other rep.
Can I ask about your surgery? I had an MRI last spring and my doctor said while she thought I would eventually need some surgery, she felt I could hold off for awhile, which I assumed met a few years. When I saw her in early March of this year, she asked if I would be open to traveling outside of the area where I live to see an orthopedic surgeon. She didn't specify what kind of surgery, but I suspect she is thinking cervical laminectomy. Is that what you had?
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back surgery, of steel, total body weights