Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-17, 09:33 AM  
BunnyHop

Went to the bookstore yesterday, picked up GirlBoss.

I'm more than halfway through it. Entertaining, and interesting to learn about her life story. (i.e., chaotic childhood, turned a side job selling vintage clothes on ebay into a corporate career with herself as boss at a very young age, no college degree, no debt)

Also visited her website, where they don't seem to have any clothes in my size even though the search options claim it's possible. Pretty clothes, though.
Old 11-12-17, 10:14 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Beth-has your mom read anything by Rosamunde Pilcher or Maeve Binchy?
Sherry, good question! I bet she would like those books; I may have shared some with her in the past.

I decided to get her a second non-fiction book, both on Louisa May Alcott and her mother (I was named after Beth in Little Women ). Thanks so much for all the ideas, though--I still may use them in the future!!!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 10:32 AM  
sherry7899

I would suggest "The Shell Seeker" by Rosamunde Pilcher, "Light a Penny Candle" and "Circle of Friends" by Maeve Binchy and "A Week in Winter" by Marcia Willett.

She may also like the Irish author Patrician Scanlan. There is a trilogy "City Girls" "City Women" "City Lives." Other favorites of hers are "Finishing Touches" and "Foreign Affairs."

She also may like the book "PS I Love You" by Cecilia Ahearn. I do not recommend the movie based on the book. They changed too much of it.

The British author Katie Fforde has some good titles. She may also like the Australian author Monica McInerney . Has she read anything by Lianne Moriarty?

Can you tell I love British/Irish authors

Does your mom use a kindle? I think the Patrician Scanlan books are available really cheaply on the kindle. Of course I ordered them all from amazon uk years before they were published in the United States.....

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 06:03 PM  
BunnyHop

Does anyone have a favorite daily readings sort of book?

It can be spiritual, or not, just something that you enjoy reading a bit of, on a regular basis. Poetry, something else, whatever's managed to hold your interest and inspired regular visits.

I'm tempted to get A Year with Rumi: Daily readings

but it occurred to me to ask here, since people have such wide ranging tastes.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-17, 06:06 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Anna, I loved Judith Hanson Lasater's book:
https://smile.amazon.com/Year-Living...40_&dpSrc=srch

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 09:17 PM  
Boots

BunnyHop - I enjoy reading anything by Joyce Meyer, especially her devotionals. I have been reading her Trusting God Day By Day 365 Daily Devotions, and I really like it. Joyce tells it like it is, and I appreciate that. What she says is very easy to understand and apply to one’s own life. You should check it out!
Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 07:39 PM  
BunnyHop

Thanks toaster and Boots!

I wound up having a nail in a car tire today. It all turned out fine. I took the car to the shop because tire pressure was low so I didn't wind up with any roadside flat tire adventures, but in all the stress I forgot to look for these IRL when I was in the bookstore. Phooey. Thanks for the rec, though, they're on my list for future perusal.

I did pick up a copy of Amy Tan's new memoir, Where the Past Begins: A Writer's Memoir, a copy of RBG's workout book and The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin.

Guess I'm not in the mood for fiction today.

I also got some used books in the mail.

The Hidden Words by by Baha’u’llah, recommended elsewhere for contemplative reading. I'm utterly unfamiliar with it, the Bahai faith and the author, but I thought I'd take a chance.

Also got

A Little, Aloud: An anthology of prose and poetry for reading aloud to someone you care for

This last one I found just by searching online for things to read aloud to my dad.

Edited to add: I pretty much inhaled the Amy Tan Memoir this weekend. I really enjoyed parts of it, especially the beginning. It's a kinda rambly, free-flowing memoir, mostly about writing and the author's relationship with her parents, especially her mom.

Last edited by BunnyHop; 11-19-17 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Just a bit to add
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 04:30 PM  
BunnyHop

Currently reading Penric's Mission by Lois McMaster Bujold. Good story so far.
Old 11-30-17, 04:42 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm reading:

> The Swallow's Nest by Emilie Richards, not her best, but I've enjoyed it.

> Unintended Consequences by Dan Walsh, one of the historical mysteries he has written. It's dragging some, but keeping me with it so far.

> Forty Autumns by Nina Willner, a non-fiction book about a family split by The Berlin Wall for 40 years. It's a really interesting book so far.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 04:59 PM  
videofit

Devil's Bargain by Joshua Green. Easy to see why this was a best seller. Behind the scenes details of the 2016 presidential campaign. Green spoke with political operatives from both sides (he is a Dem so a bit biased). Find out why Trump won. Hint: It had nothing to do with Russians!

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading