Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-17, 07:34 PM  
anne

Stretching for lower legs, calves, ankles and feet

Hi everyone--I recently added a riser during step aerobics class and now have sore lower legs, calves, ankles, and feet. Any ideas for yoga or stretching dvds that focus on these areas? Thanks. Anne
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 09:41 AM  
Sollamyn

Chantal Donnelly's Strong Knees DVD includes a really good stretch for the entire lower body (hips, legs, calves). She doesn't do a lot with ankles or feet, though. Jessica Smith has a workout called Strong Feet and Ankles on her Walk On 5 Fat Burning Miles DVD that helps you strengthen and stretch those areas. It is 15 minutes long.
Old 01-08-17, 10:26 AM  
Vantreesta

I use Strong Knees as mentioned (used to be my go-to post-run stretch)and Jill Miller's Yoga Tune Up Lower Body Quick Fix. Jill's helped me get over plantar fasciitis more than once.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 10:29 AM  
alisoncooks

I really like the 15-minute targeted segments from the Essentrics Ultimate Stretch Workouts dvd, especially:

Quote:
Unlock: Feet, Ankles, Calves
The foundation of our body is supported by our feet. This short workout will increase the strength, mobility and energy in your feet, as well as help relieve any foot pain.

Stretch: Psoas, IT, Hips
This stretch sequence will increase the flexibility in your hips, knees and lower back, making you feel more energetic while relieving hip, back and knee pain.
I struggle with sore ankles, especially in the morning hours. The first section above really helps me.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 01:43 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

The best stretches I've done for that area of the body are ones that Miranda did in season 10 of Classical Stretch. I do them whenever I feel things getting tight. It has really helped a problem I have called PTTD to the point that I no longer have pain.
wishiwasinhawaii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 03:16 PM  
Eibhinn

Unfortunately, foot and ankle stretches are pretty uncommon in video workouts.

Yoga for Every Body with JJ Gormley has at least one practice for the lower body that includes foot stretches.

Yoga to the Rescue with Desiree Rumbagh also includes some foot and lower leg stuff, although the entire practice goes from head-to-toe.

I think Emily Splichal had a workout for people who wear high heels that was all foot, ankle, and lower leg exercises (called Stiletto recovery, or something like that), but I never bought it because her delivery drove me batty in V-Core.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 07:25 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Yes, Classical Stretch/ Essentrics - lots of lower body, feet, etc.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 07:40 PM  
DCW

Almost every day, I do Classical Stretch and Essentrics. I 2nd, 3rd, & 4th the motion on these workouts. My plantar fasciitis is now in recovery mode due to these exercises.

I hope you feel better real soon!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 10:23 PM  
carole r.

Jessica Smith has quit a few on YouTube, streaming and DVD that are for ankles, knees feet, hips etc.
Old 01-09-17, 09:22 PM  
anne

Thank you for all the ideas to check out. I've started looking at clips and just checked the new Classical Stretch book (Forever Painless) out of the library. I don't get much of a cardio workout anymore without the risers so am hoping to add them back soon. Thanks again.
anne is offline   Reply With Quote