Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-16, 08:07 PM  
sherry7899

Lynn- it was a psychological suspense book.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-16, 08:20 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels5 View Post
A Man Called Ove was so good! I laughed and cried at the same time. (I listened to the audiobook.) Have you read any of his others?

Gilead is on my list. (I think I may even own it.)
I have not read any of Backman's other books. I was looking at them the other day at Barnes and Noble. Britt Marie was here appears to be very similar to Ove IIRC but My Grandmother Asked Me...one looks interesting.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-16, 09:16 PM  
alisoncooks

Just finished The Dreaming by Barbara Wood.
Historical fiction based in colonial Australia. Interesting...though a little long-winded.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 04:53 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I read Ordinary Grace last year and enjoyed it. My most recent read is "A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.
Right now I am plodding through "Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson. It is a book I suggested for my second book group. I proposed 4 and the majority chose this one. So far VERY slow and boring although it won the Pulitzer Prize. For some reason I have decided I need to read Pulitzer winners. I have 3 more on my shelf to read(Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay, The Corrections, A Visit to the Goon Squad)
The Girls is another book that I have been hearing about and am interested in reading. Thanks for the review of it Judy.
I felt the same way about Gilead and I generally like gentle, character driven work. Kind of boring. I do wonder if some of the hype is because Robinson works at one of the world's most famous writer workshops and has probably taught many other writers. It does touch on some themes that are explored fairly subtly.

I enjoyed A Visit to the Goon Squad, but didn't get the massive amount of love that book got, a lot of it was based on format and how parts of it mirrored some other great work. I still think about the last story (or chapter) in that book. sp.... I despise Franzen. I need to read Cavelier and Clay. Or maybe I should stick to Booker and the National Book Award prize works.

Really liked Tinkers, loved Olive Kitteridge, Middlesex and quite a few others.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-16, 02:39 PM  
gladgirl

Quote:
A Man Called Ove was so good! I laughed and cried at the same time. (I listened to the audiobook.)

I also loved the audio of A Man Called Ove.

Am still doing lots of walking and would love more recommendations for really good audio books and which narrator you liked.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 12:25 PM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post

Am still doing lots of walking and would love more recommendations for really good audio books and which narrator you liked.
I'm always looking for audiobook recommendations too. I haven't been listening to them all that long but I thought these were great and I liked the narrators a lot in all of them:

The Good House - Ann Leary
The Nightingale - Kristin Hannah
We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson
Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King
Finders Keepers - Stephen King
Dolores Claiborne - Stephen King
The Story of Beautifu Girl - Rachel Simon
Days of Awe - Lauren Fox

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 12:33 PM  
muggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post

Big little lies by Lianne Moriarty. The author is Australian and so is the narrator. Loved it! Funny, suspenseful at times. Characters that stay with you long after you finish the book. Highly recommend!!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-16, 12:49 PM  
gladgirl

Quote:
I'm always looking for audiobook recommendations too. I haven't been listening to them all that long but I thought these were great and I liked the narrators a lot in all of them:

The Good House - Ann Leary
The Nightingale - Kristin Hannah
We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson
Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King
Finders Keepers - Stephen King
Dolores Claiborne - Stephen King
The Story of Beautifu Girl - Rachel Simon
Days of Awe - Lauren Fox
I heard the first two...thanks for all the other recs. Does Stephen King do his own narration?
Old 07-21-16, 12:50 PM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
Big little lies by Lianne Moriarty. The author is Australian and so is the narrator. Loved it! Funny, suspenseful at times. Characters that stay with you long after you finish the book. Highly recommend!!
Thanks for this one!
Old 07-21-16, 12:59 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post

This is my favorite of hers of the three I have read. She has a new one out, that I can't wait to read.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, overdrive, reading, summer reading