Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-15, 11:50 PM  
bjones

Well, I am glad to hear that my experience with hot flashes, joint pain, weight gain, severe fatigue and insomnia is the norm, because I was starting to think I was crazy! And yes, I'm on thyroid with a good TSH. One thing I've found is that my knees and feet hurt if my weight goes above 135. Its almost a magic number for me. I was really stupid this summer and endulged myself in Hagen Daz ice cream bars and now I am trying..trying...trying...to lose back to 135. It is SO MUCH HARDER than even 2 years ago. I'm 58, been in menopause for 8 years. For exercise, I too find that 45 minutes is my max now. Used to be 75. Obviously doesn't burn as many calories. I am trying to split up a 30 minute walk every am with 45 minutes of spinning or weights or low impact HiiT later in the day, M-W-F. I am retired so I have the time. If I am just so stiff and tired the next day then I do something easier like a Jessica Smith walk, although even THAT can make me a little stiff and sore now! If 58 is this tough, what in the world in 68 going to look like? sometimes I feel like just succombing to age like our grandmothers did and look nicely plump and do no exercise except a 30 minute walk!
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 06:35 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Yeah, it sure ain't for sissies, is it? I can understand why people sit down and decided it's too much effort. Good thing for me I'm stubborn.

I hit menopause in my mid-forties. I still have hot flashes 6 years later. The good news is I don't miss my period at all.
My trip to Alaska took off some of my ab fat. Hiking without eating much is the bomb. Hopefully, I won't eat my way back up to pre-trip.
So I am also stubborn in a sense that I want to hike even in very old age.
My fave workout this year is still TA streaming. That's my endorphin releaser.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 06:40 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones View Post
Well, I am glad to hear that my experience with hot flashes, joint pain, weight gain, severe fatigue and insomnia is the norm, because I was starting to think I was crazy! And yes, I'm on thyroid with a good TSH. One thing I've found is that my knees and feet hurt if my weight goes above 135. Its almost a magic number for me. I was really stupid this summer and endulged myself in Hagen Daz ice cream bars and now I am trying..trying...trying...to lose back to 135. It is SO MUCH HARDER than even 2 years ago. I'm 58, been in menopause for 8 years. For exercise, I too find that 45 minutes is my max now. Used to be 75. Obviously doesn't burn as many calories. I am trying to split up a 30 minute walk every am with 45 minutes of spinning or weights or low impact HiiT later in the day, M-W-F. I am retired so I have the time. If I am just so stiff and tired the next day then I do something easier like a Jessica Smith walk, although even THAT can make me a little stiff and sore now! If 58 is this tough, what in the world in 68 going to look like? sometimes I feel like just succombing to age like our grandmothers did and look nicely plump and do no exercise except a 30 minute walk!
I could have written your post word for word, except that I'm almost 59. The stiffness and joint pain is miserable, not to mention poor sleep patterns and weight gain. Good grief!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 11:52 AM  
jb1586

I am really glad that I opened this thread! So many of you described me and my issues to a tee! I am 56, and have been in menopause/perimenopause, for a few years. My big issue, along with all of the common ones (hot flashes, tired, sleep issues, etc.) is constipation. There is a website called something like "The 34 signs of Menopause", and I'm sure I have at least 32 of them! I used to run, but broke my ankle, like another poster above. It took a year to heal, and now my knee and hip are achy. Can't run anymore, so I'm doing Jari, and walking on our treadmill (which still causes hip pain). My husband understands my complaints, but doesn't, you know? I'm tired of venting to him about all of this.It's interesting about the coffee--I just noticed that regular coffee makes me jittery, which it never did until recently. Didn't think that it was related to menopause.
jb1586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 12:00 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinda View Post
But my husband - he has insomnia, joint issues, muscular aches & pains... and he has dedicated so much of his life to being physically fit! It's so frustrating. And he's younger than me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballnut View Post
Hmmmm. My husband is 2 years younger than me. Some nights I wake up and his side of the bed is soaked. He doesn't have the joint issues I have, though. Aging can such a pain.
My husband is two years younger than me, and he has lower back pain. He's been in good shape as he has an active job, but it's finally getting to his joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Yeah, it sure ain't for sissies, is it? I can understand why people sit down and decided it's too much effort. Good thing for me I'm stubborn.
I'm stubborn too, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizach View Post

The good news is I don't miss my period at all.
Neither do I. The one bright spot!
Old 09-02-15, 12:38 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Timely article:

https://home.bt.com/lifestyle/wellbe...11363999736469

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 03:39 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I have really enjoyed reading all of these replies! I am 52, and have still not had many signs of peri-menopause. I do sometimes wake up in the middle of the night overheated, and have to throw the covers off. I still have TOTM like clockwork I would not mind if that went away.... I do often have trouble sleeping, and frequently take a nap in the afternoon. I don't have the desire for high intensity workouts anymore. I can't do high impact due to left foot and ankle issues. Also, my left knee gets twinges from time to time, but nothing too bad yet. I find myself wanting to do things like Denise Austin, Powerfits, and simpler workouts. I do love barre now. Love Leslie, lol! I have not had any weight issues, but I have always been good at regular exercise, and keeping an eye on calories, so I think that helps. I guess we will all get through it one way or another!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 03:45 PM  
cherimac

Carol, thanks for the article.

Sherry~wow, I'm 50 and started having odd periods by 46. Maybe you'll be a lucky one who just has them like clockwork until one day nothing. My MIL was like that.
Old 09-02-15, 05:49 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizach View Post

I hit menopause in my mid-forties. I still have hot flashes 6 years later. The good news is I don't miss my period at all.
My trip to Alaska took off some of my ab fat. Hiking without eating much is the bomb. Hopefully, I won't eat my way back up to pre-trip.
So I am also stubborn in a sense that I want to hike even in very old age.
My fave workout this year is still TA streaming. That's my endorphin releaser.
About 15 years ago, I climbed Mt. Whitney. At the top I met a man who had done the John Muir Trail thru hike in a week (it normally takes 3 weeks), and was turning around to hike back the way he came. I met him at the top of Whitney (the highest mountain in the lower 48). He was about 6 foot, had a robust upper body (barrel chested and bellied - but he was not fat), and slim legs. Looked about 45/50. He was 79. He may be the exception, but he was pretty phenomenal. I want to be like him when I grow up.
Old 09-02-15, 07:36 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Cheri, I would be very sad if I had to give up my morning coffee!
I just have to say - this is one of my worst nightmares!!!
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, hormonal replacement, hormones, menopause, old thread alert, over 50, peri-menopause, perimenopause