Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-15, 12:08 PM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
Been there, done that, and continuing to do that. I am also hypothyroid.

I have struggled with the loss of my parents. Once I start feeling somewhat better, something else major happens, a friend passes away, another friend is diagnosed with cancer, another one has a stroke, etc. It's like all the stress is triggered all over again, to the point that I have felt like I had PTSD.

I have found the guided meditations from Belleruth Naparstek to help with this stress and I truly feel that I have made some progress.
There is a nice program for your phone called Calm.com It comes with many free meditations and visual scenery. I paid the yearly fee that I liked it so much and they have many, many different guided meditations.
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 12:11 PM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
I second that.
Same here, lost my dad August 2012 suddenly. He was a very active, healthy person. It has really rocked my world. Add peri with the increased anxiety, and Hashimoto's, it has not been fun.

Bio-identical hormone replacement helps, meds for depression and sleep help and walking has become my new love. I am thinking I should invest in a treadmill this year for when it becomes cold outside. Since my dad's passing walking has become almost a meditative thing for me to do. Now, I love to walk everywhere.
Old 08-31-15, 12:27 PM  
andtckrtoo

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad I found this thread. I thought I was going insane! I'm 51 and peri-menopausal. I recently moved to a RWH Cathe rotation. Two weeks and I was so sore I could hardly move. I thought my joints were on fire. I can do PUMP just fine, but most other heavy lifting workouts kill me and make me want to eat the house.

I've recently moved back to TA and Dance (I'm doing CIZE right now) and this morning, after 4 days, I was so relieved to wake up and feel human again. I lost 25 pounds doing TA last year, but she really bores me after a while. I guess I'll just suck it up. I have added HDM to my repertoire, so I do have variety.

I've gained the 25 pounds I lost. I also have SAD - so this time of the year is especially hard - I always gain weight, but I usually drop in the Spring. I'm terrified of gaining another 10-15 pounds this fall. Oy.

I do have thyroid nodules, but so far, my T levels are right where they should be. If the change to my workout rotation, and my diet (I've switched that up, too - but won't get into that here - but I have learned that beans and I are not friends - at all) don't work, I'll get my levels tests yet again.
Old 08-31-15, 12:36 PM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Oh my goodness! I'm so glad I found this thread. I thought I was going insane! I'm 51 and peri-menopausal. I recently moved to a RWH Cathe rotation. Two weeks and I was so sore I could hardly move. I thought my joints were on fire. I can do PUMP just fine, but most other heavy lifting workouts kill me and make me want to eat the house.

I've recently moved back to TA and Dance (I'm doing CIZE right now) and this morning, after 4 days, I was so relieved to wake up and feel human again. I lost 25 pounds doing TA last year, but she really bores me after a while. I guess I'll just suck it up. I have added HDM to my repertoire, so I do have variety.

I've gained the 25 pounds I lost. I also have SAD - so this time of the year is especially hard - I always gain weight, but I usually drop in the Spring. I'm terrified of gaining another 10-15 pounds this fall. Oy.

I do have thyroid nodules, but so far, my T levels are right where they should be. If the change to my workout rotation, and my diet (I've switched that up, too - but won't get into that here) don't work, I'll get my levels tests yet again.
I'm worried about SAD myself. Winters are tough for me. I am hoping to buy a treadmill (looking at the NordicTrack commercial 2950) so I can keep up my walking at least.
Old 08-31-15, 03:36 PM  
TinaT

So as the reality check settles in once again with the season of life I'm in, it's so nice to see so many in my boat with me. I really felt a bit crazy at times and tired of being tired.

Today, my husband and I worked out early and got a great start to the day. All I did was walk...walk.. carry weights while walking... walk a bit more, followed up by recovery walk. Yet, I'm sore now. Really? So I guess this is a good start point for me. I'm committed to not beating myself up anymore. And I hope you don't either.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 04:30 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
So as the reality check settles in once again with the season of life I'm in, it's so nice to see so many in my boat with me. I really felt a bit crazy at times and tired of being tired.

Today, my husband and I worked out early and got a great start to the day. All I did was walk...walk.. carry weights while walking... walk a bit more, followed up by recovery walk. Yet, I'm sore now. Really? So I guess this is a good start point for me. I'm committed to not beating myself up anymore. And I hope you don't either.
And of all things, my plantar fasciitis is acting up, so walking is tough. Yeah, I feel like I'm 100...
Old 08-31-15, 04:38 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
And of all things, my plantar fasciitis is acting up, so walking is tough. Yeah, I feel like I'm 100...
So is mine!! Gah!!

But being in this big boat with you all makes me feel better.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 05:09 PM  
BunnyHop

PF-wise, I've found that making sure to work both strength and flexibility workouts into my routine has pretty much solved that problem.

CS is perfect for it, but if I remember right, kettlebell swings were also helpful.

It's been a while since I had a flare up of those symptoms (thank goodness) so my memory of exactly what helped is a little vague, but I hope this is helpful.
Old 08-31-15, 05:16 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
PF-wise, I've found that making sure to work both strength and flexibility workouts into my routine has pretty much solved that problem.

CS is perfect for it, but if I remember right, kettlebell swings were also helpful.

It's been a while since I had a flare up of those symptoms (thank goodness) so my memory of exactly what helped is a little vague, but I hope this is helpful.
Hmm - Kettlebell swings. That's interesting. I do do a lot of stretching, icing, and have this spiky little ball that helps a lot, too. I'll start adding swings. And thanks for the tips on CS. I'm really tired of getting up and feeling like an old lady. Plus I have Australian Shepherds who insist on being walked daily.
Old 08-31-15, 05:30 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Hmm - Kettlebell swings. That's interesting. I do do a lot of stretching, icing, and have this spiky little ball that helps a lot, too. I'll start adding swings. And thanks for the tips on CS. I'm really tired of getting up and feeling like an old lady. Plus I have Australian Shepherds who insist on being walked daily.
My husband has horrible PF. I've gotten him many things to try. The latest thing I'm eyeing for him is the Fascia Blaster -- has anyone tried that for PF and had any luck with it?
bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, hormonal replacement, hormones, menopause, old thread alert, over 50, peri-menopause, perimenopause