Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-15, 05:31 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

The Powerfits are great little workouts and easy to modify up or down. I just did a short rotation using PF, PF Harmony, & PF Plus. I am also a fan of Essentrics, try and fit them in regularly. I do a lot of stretching in the form of gentle and yin yoga. It's not unusual for me to spend an hour or more doing reclined, seated, & yin yoga stretches while I watch tv. I find it keeps aches and pains at bay, I have some joint issues that are much less of a problem if I keep up my stretch routine.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 07:39 PM  
laurajhawk

I'm going to chime in with a slightly different experience. I'm 51, been perimenopausal for ages, but hit a rough patch this year with hot flashes etc. I'm loving my weight workouts more than ever, and find that some moderately-intense workouts -- Pump and Body Beast -- really improve my energy levels. On the other hand, I've given myself "permission" to shift the written rotations to a 4- or 5-day-a-week routine: I do the workouts in the rotation order, with the prescribed rest days (and adding in live yoga classes), but I take the weekends off whether they're rest days in the rotation or not. It's working pretty well for me.

(I'm doing 3 "rotation weeks", or about 4 calendar weeks, of Pump, then the same of Body Beast, then the Power of 10 book workouts, then back to Pump & so on.)

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 08:46 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I'm going to chime in with a slightly different experience. I'm 51, been perimenopausal for ages, but hit a rough patch this year with hot flashes etc. I'm loving my weight workouts more than ever, and find that some moderately-intense workouts -- Pump and Body Beast -- really improve my energy levels. On the other hand, I've given myself "permission" to shift the written rotations to a 4- or 5-day-a-week routine: I do the workouts in the rotation order, with the prescribed rest days (and adding in live yoga classes), but I take the weekends off whether they're rest days in the rotation or not. It's working pretty well for me.

(I'm doing 3 "rotation weeks", or about 4 calendar weeks, of Pump, then the same of Body Beast, then the Power of 10 book workouts, then back to Pump & so on.)
I'm loving beast these days, but any kind of cardio wipes me out.

I'm dealing with hypothyroidism as well.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-15, 09:15 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcathy View Post
So glad I found this thread. I'm 45, not quite menopausal yet, but my fatigue has been so horrible I feel like my body is going crazy!
I'm not menopausal, but I like to read the threads to help myself be prepared for what may come. Cathy, if you haven't already, please see a doctor for some blood work and get your thyroid checked. What I thought was just fatigue was actually something else. So please get yourself to a doctor.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 07:47 AM  
Anny

I've been doing more of Ellen Barrett's workouts, after a forced time of rest for health and pain issues. I had been doing mostly Jillian Michaels until then. I am loving Ellen's workouts, no dread, and make me feel great afterwards. The stretching in the workouts helps me on my long commute days . Those days I catch public transport and walk 3km to and from the station so I get my walking in as well.
Old 08-30-15, 09:09 AM  
cdayley

I'm 51, and I'm sure I've been in peri for many years. I have no idea if I'm in menopause because I had a hysterectomy when I was 30. I'm having a different experience than most of you exercise wise. I've developed a love for cardio, high impact, and low weights lots of reps work. I workout for an hour 5 to 6 days a week, and add a 2 mile walk every day. My weight is lower than it has been for years.
On the meno symptoms front, I am miserable. I have horrible hot flashes, insomnia, and acne. I've had mood swings, but they are under control for the moment. I am using herbal hormone replacements - cream and supplements. This phase of life stinks

Chrys Dayley
cdayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 09:18 AM  
Diana3271

I am reading with interest. I have always had hormonal insomnia and night sweats associated with TTOM. My TTOM has always been terrible. Recently my TTOM is more frequent so that means the insomnia and night sweats are more frequent, too. Oh, joy, right? My insomnia isn't like the typical insomnia. I fall asleep just fine but I wake about 1 - 1 1/2 hours too early in the AM. More joy, LOL. I have lower back pain with TTOM so all of that is more frequent with the more frequent TTOM. I have been checked out by the gyno and all seems fine. It's just that stage of life.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 10:20 AM  
Sara1000

I never experienced fatigue before, during or after menopause, so I hope this thread is not describing the norm. I still do vigorous exercise every day, as well as working full time.

I have however had insomnia since my late 40's and am still troubled with it today at 71. It's just like Diana described - I fall asleep fine but wake up way too early.

I don't take any medications but do take various vitamin supplements.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 11:05 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I can't say I have experienced fatigue that is related to menopause, but certainly had fatigue related to hypothyroid which I have rectified. I do suffer from insomnia off and on, definitely started with a forced post hysterectomy menopause at 51. My weight is stable, but no matter what I do those last 5 lbs just hang on for dear life!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 11:08 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I can't say I have experienced fatigue that is related to menopause, but certainly had fatigue related to hypothyroid which I have rectified. I do suffer from insomnia off and on, definitely started with a forced post hysterectomy menopause at 51. My weight is stable, but no matter what I do those last 5 lbs just hang on for dear life!
How did you rectify the thyroid fatigue? All tips welcome.

Thanks

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, hormonal replacement, hormones, menopause, old thread alert, over 50, peri-menopause, perimenopause