Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-15, 01:11 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Now that menopause is a few years into my rear view mirror, I'm finding that I'm a lot less hungry than before, and get full faster. I still love to eat, but now I'm satisfied with just one helping or even half a helping. Is this normal or happening to anyone else? Not that I'm complaining
I know a lot of people whose appetites are much less active than they used to be. Less food is fine for them.
Old 10-28-15, 01:13 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I know a lot of people whose appetites are much less active than they used to be. Less food is fine for them.
I hope to reach that point.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 03:28 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
I hope to reach that point.
Believe me, until this year, I was a menopause Godzilla. I was able to easily inhale 3 platefuls at my favorite buffets, and at night I would go crazy with snacking. It showed, too - I put on a lot of weight.

I couldn't imagine not being constantly hungry. But now, I have one serving and not only does my stomach feel full, my appetite shuts off as well. The weight is now coming off I guess it means the hormone dust has settled? A lot of older folks I know, eat very little.

Anna, LoveVA and bzar, congrats on your progress!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 03:43 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Now that menopause is a few years into my rear view mirror, I'm finding that I'm a lot less hungry than before, and get full faster. I still love to eat, but now I'm satisfied with just one helping or even half a helping. Is this normal or happening to anyone else? Not that I'm complaining
I'm finding that my appetite is decreasing. I consider it a mixed blessing. Of course it's good to match a slower metabolism with reduced food intake, but it also is a loss (or reduction) of yet another pleasure in life! (I've never been one to envy people who just don't like to eat - even though they may look stylishly fashionable, I always thought that they were missing out. I always wondered if they had systemically reduced pleasure-receptors. Of course that could just be a defense mechanism, ha ha.)

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 07:20 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
I'm finding out the hard way...

I had my yearly physical this week. Everything was fine...except my weight. My weight is the highest it's ever been.

I'm not crazy about the prospect of eating like a bird from now on, but that looks like what I need to do.
I'm glad I'm not alone. Sorry you are experiencing this. Me too...
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-15, 10:32 AM  
ssgilby

Just an update from me. Maybe it will help someone else. I continued to experiment with different workouts trying to find something that wouldn't cause pain. Everything seemed to aggravate things - even the very gentle Margaret Richard's "Getting Better" workout. My lower back and neck conditions were at their absolute worst. I had constant pain, and I was getting so fatigued, cranky, depressed -- all that stuff. I had e-mailed my doctor and asked for a referral to an ortho. I dreaded going back and going through MRIs, endless appointments, etc. only to be told like last time that my issues were degenerative type conditions that really couldn't be fixed but only managed through PT or some sort of specialized rehab program. (When I was dealing with my lower back before, it was suggested I do a rehab weight training program which would have required me to travel to the specialized fitness center (about a 45-minute drive) multiple times per week and, of course, the visits were not covered by insurance. Working full time, it was just not an option.)

The thought of taking time of work for multiple visits to the PT'ss and/or rehab place was not something I relished! And for what? I KNOW what the problem is (yes, age and degenerative changes play a huge part), but I think it is largely do to my hormones. I suspected this for a long time, but after reading here that I'm not the only one who seems to have a lot more pain, injury, etc. during peri-meno, I know that fluctuating hormones can wreak absolute havoc on a body, and I know they are doing so with mine. I have days where my body feels almost perfectly fine, and my mood is good. A day or two later (with really no change in physical activity or any kind of emotional upheaval or upset), I'm suddenly wracked with pain and so irritable.

In any event, I finally decided to give Jill Miller a try. After hearing the raves about her for YEARS here on VF, it was time for me to give her a try. I've been using her Yoga Tune Up Quick Fix videos and her Roll Model book self-massage method. I have been converted! These things are working to actually fix my issues and heal not only my body but also my mind and soul - both of which were fatigued, depressed, angry and so many other negative things resulting from such constant, annoying pain in my body. The self-massage is wonderful. I often experience a big rush of emotion during a session in addition to a tremendous amount of bodily relief. I've had emotions from tears (of joy and release) to absolute euphoria. I often feel a burden (both physical and emotional) being lifted during a session.

No it has not immediately stopped all my issues, but I can feel it working. My lower back has felt PERFECT the last few days. Something I haven't felt in a months and months. My upper back/neck still has good days and bad, but I'm getting more good than bad. I am also building some really fundamental strength and learning good habits/body mechanics which will serve me well for the rest of my life.

I've also been doing some walking with Leslie and short walks outside. Walking always helps my back issues, but with the plantar fasciitis flare up I've been battling since last March, the walking obviously wasn't doing my foot any favors. I notice by doing the Yoga Tune Up Quick fixes for the feet and using the balls on them, my PF is clearing up! So, I've been able to do some short walks a few times a week. Hopefully I can continue to build on that, since taking 3-4 short walks per day has always caused me to lose weight.

I am going to order Jill's Yoga Tune Up At Home series and basically start from scratch with yoga. I've been doing it for years on and off, but for the past several years, it seemed like most yoga aggravated my low back condition. As Jill sees it, yoga is not a "cure all" and can often make things worse instead of better. People go into it with bad habits, bad body mechanics and a huge unawareness of how the body works and what a pose is designed to do. In those cases, yoga is just going to reinforce those things. Soooo, I am going to start at the beginning, learn from Jill and hopefully re-gain my strength and my energy (and hopefully lose a few pounds in the process - my inability to exercise much as made my weight continue to creep up). I will continue to do the self-massage with Yoga Tune Up balls, as I really feel that is a KEY component to Jill's work.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else is still looking for some help.
Old 11-09-15, 11:26 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Shelley, I agree hormones can wreak such havoc. I decided to go back on BCP for one last year; I'm 51. After that my doctor and I will look at all the HRT options. The extra weight that was so frustrating surprisingly dropped off after a month back on BC, and I was very happy to be able to cut down on the amount of workouts I was doing. It's so nice to be able to sleep through the night again.

I am finally getting excited about working out again. My plan is walking, Margaret Richard and I have Barlates downloads to check out. Yay!
~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-15, 07:15 AM  
cherimac

Shelley and Beth-so glad you found options that are working for you.
Old 11-11-15, 09:59 AM  
ssgilby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
Shelley, I agree hormones can wreak such havoc. I decided to go back on BCP for one last year; I'm 51. After that my doctor and I will look at all the HRT options. The extra weight that was so frustrating surprisingly dropped off after a month back on BC, and I was very happy to be able to cut down on the amount of workouts I was doing. It's so nice to be able to sleep through the night again.

I am finally getting excited about working out again. My plan is walking, Margaret Richard and I have Barlates downloads to check out. Yay!
~Beth
Yea, Beth! I'm glad you are feeling some relief and losing some weight!! Please let us know how the exercising is going.

Jill Miller continues to help me. I am expecting the Yoga Tune Up At Home videos I ordered to arrive any day, and I am anxious to get started. After a few weeks of regularly doing the Yoga Tune Up Quick Fix videos and using the therapy balls, my back problems have all but disappeared, and along with that, a lot of other aches and pains (not to mention emotional distress) have gone too. I'm excited to take things up a notch with the At Home program.
Old 11-11-15, 08:34 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Shelley, I hope you feel better very soon and I'll have to check out Jill Miller. I had my hormones tested twice this year. On both occasions, progesterone was extremely low, FSH in menopause range, but estrogen was fluctuating. This makes me wonder about other hormones like testosterone and DHEA; is it worth getting those tested. Thinking on it, I wonder if my insomnia problems had more to do with progesterone deficiency. It's a bummer we can't stay on hormones long term.

I'm sorting through Barlates downloads; these look so much fun. I think I'm going to try Callanetics Evolution tonight to ease back into things.
~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, hormonal replacement, hormones, menopause, old thread alert, over 50, peri-menopause, perimenopause