Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-16, 03:35 PM  
lorajc

Extreme & Hardcore Workouts & Those getting Older - 40-s - late 50's??

Hi,

I'm 58 and just finished doing amy bento Urban rebounder kick box metabolic interval. boy did I have to modify. I know I have limitations due to injuries.....but age has also limited my intensity.

so I was just wondering (sorry my capital button is broken)......how are others that are getting older dealing?

I love amy and don't want to get rid of her workouts.......and as with most hardcore workouts, I just modify, however, I was just curious about peeps my age and what they experience? although, I know there are a few hardcore women on here that are out of the normal (at least my opinion). In general...if you're pushing 60....do you still follow a hardcore workout to the tee?

thanks in advance.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 05:10 PM  
bubbles76

I'm not your age, but am 40 I have had to modify a lot. Although my body can handle some hardcore workouts while I'm doing them, I've had to take more time off to recover after doing them. It's not due to injuries or DOMS -- I just don't recover as fast. I run out of steam . I've been dealing with injuries since 2006, and it's a hard pill to swallow that I can't blame my loss of steam on my injuries.

I just find the workouts that I can do, and do them. Or I modify. But for the most part, I have to tell myself to stay away from workouts marketed as advanced and stick to those that are intermediate. Or advanced intermediate. Some folks that I know I can modify, like Cathe, Mindy Mylrea, and Amy Bento, I modify. But I really am not looking to discover anyone new, only to find out I can't do their workouts.

ETA: Well, I did get Anni Mairs Fierce Force recently But it's broken into shorter segments, and I think there's a modifier.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 05:43 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
if you're pushing 60....do you still follow a hardcore workout to the tee?

thanks in advance.
I'm 44 and I don't know if I ever followed hard core workouts to a tee! Or any workout, for that matter. I believe very strongly in the importance of making a workout your own, depending on where you are on any given day. Some days, I feel able to do more, others, less.

Today I did Cathe's Bootcamp, which I remembered being very challenging. I used lighter weight loads than Cathe and Co., and I skipped a couple of segments, but otherwise I did the whole workout with a few other modifications here and there. Heart was pumping, muscles fatigued, and I had a marvelous time. Modifying is a great thing!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 05:51 PM  
Calistro

Deleted.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 06:07 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

I'm 40 and can't handle many extreme workouts anymore. I can manage one every now and then, but my energy just isn't there. And I'm wiped out afterward. I used to think that if I didn't go all out and take the intensity all the way up I was wasting my time, but I just don't have that in me anymore.
Old 07-16-16, 06:09 PM  
dmlarue1

I have never been extreme and hardcore. I enjoy workouts that make me feel better and if they are too punishing then I don't enjoy the after effects. Plus, with a full time job and 2 boys 4 and 8, at 43...I want my workouts to bring something to my life, and if I feel too beat up, it affects everything else.

I always liked walking, classical stretch, yoga, margaret richard. I recently found Hamelin and am in love. His workouts slay me during, but afterwards I always feel great. I don't get as sore or get injuries with those workouts.

If something is marketed as hardcore, I honestly stay away from it
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 07:15 PM  
lorajc

Well thanks so far....you ladies are even younger than me --- and I even have horrid injuries, one that requires surgery, among many other and am pushing 60.....so this makes me feel better.

My routine usually consists of a workout one day and Kundalini Yoga the next. I'm trying to get it to the point of 2 workouts then yoga. After my horrid car accident on Halloween, and after healing from 9 fractured ribs and fractured vertebra.....i had to lift only 1-3 pound weights and I'm slowly progressing from there....but at least I can work out again.

I'm taking it easy during this process. However, I'm still trying to be healthy. Thank God for Kundalini Yoga and the fact that it is so healthy for you and your internal organs....it's been a Godsend.

I thank everyone for their responses and look forward to more.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 07:36 PM  
marki64

I am 52 and I still like my advanced workouts. I have an achey, stiff lower back/hip, but I still try to give it my all. Things I have changed in the last couple years: when I do step workouts, I use 1 set of risers instead of 2. My achilles tendons can't handle 50+ min. of step with 2 sets of risers. I feel I still get a good workout and feel much better. Otherwise I am paying for it for a good 2 weeks afterwards. I like my drills and with some moves I don't go at rapid speed. Burpees to a jump- not so quick. I also don't workout for more than an hour and I don't do as much straight cardio. During the week, my workouts are 40-50 minutes, tops. I don't know when I will decide to take my impact down. I really like to move. I am definitely not a yoga person. I have to move and sweat otherwise I feel cheated. I keep telling myself, age is just a number.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 07:54 PM  
MARIKA

I just turned 51 and still love the Insane stuff. I may back off here and there but always come back. I think the trick is for me if I'm doing 2o in outs. squats , burpeea, presses and I know theres a twinge somewhere I stop. If I know I'm really just punking out and know I can do it I just go for it. I also feel we can all push more in certain areas. I even in my 20's could never jump on 1 leg without my ankle feeling it. I just never jump on 1 leg now. I know better
Old 07-16-16, 08:53 PM  
Sara1000

In my 60's I started getting injuries from the workouts I had always done - I guess strained ligaments - I never went to the doctor about it; a glute injury from burpees kept me from doing most lower body work for over a year; a knee injury from jumping lasted 6 months; I went back to high impact and hurt the other knee, which bothers me to this day. Too much walking and stretching strains my hip flexors; sciatica from a slip and fall while hiking in rough terrain.

I am just about pain free now from taking it easy for months. I do strength training but take it easy on lower body work. For cardio it is walking outside, sometimes in the hills, Leslie and Jessica. I'll probably get back to some step work eventually but with no risers and no jumping.

So I've sadly said goodbye to most hard core extreme workouts - my goal now is to do as much as I can while avoiding injuries that will set me back. I am 72
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
40's and over, aging, extreme workouts, getting older, hardcore