Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-14, 11:20 AM  
pamela224

Strength videos? Your ideas!

Looking to add a few great strength videos to my routine - I'm a pretty solid intermediate, have several sizes of free weights, tubing and bands. I'm not really interested in a cardio element, just really want to focus on strength. I think I do need 2-3 so I don't get bored. I'd love to hear your ideas!
Pam
pamela224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 11:34 AM  
alisoncooks

I like:
Gilad's Cuts & Curves and his Express set (to mix & match)
Jari Love's original Get Ripped and her Slim & Lean
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 11:38 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Here are some of my all time favorites.

Jari Love Ripped
This is the first workout she did and I think it's one of her best. It's similar in format to a Body Pump class in that you work each muscle group for the duration of a song with different rep counts to break up the time. It comes in at less than an hour and you can just do certain tracks if you need to shorten the time further. Although they use a barbell there is one exerciser showing all the exercises with dumbells.

Cathe Friedrich Pyramid Lower and Upper Body
Two different workouts on one DVD utilizing the pyramid method of lifting (more reps with lighter weight to less reps with heavier weight, then back down). The workouts clock in at about an hour and there are plenty of premixes that can shorten the workout plus a great total body premix. They use a barbell and dumbells and the exercises are very easy to modify to dumbells only.

Kelly Coffey Meyer 30 MTF: Split Sessions
Two different workouts on one DVD that clock in around 35 minutes each. The format is typically a superset of 2 exercises for two body parts done twice with 3 supersets for those body parts before moving on. All exercisers use dumbells. Again, there are some great premixes that shorten, lengthen, and combine the two workouts.

I think these 3 would give you a nice variety in terms of style of lifting, length of workout, and lots of premix options to keep things fresh.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 12:13 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Kelly Coffey Meyer 30 MTF: Your Best Body
Kelly Coffey Meyer 30 MTF: Weights
Kathy Smith: Project You (Upper Body + Abs and Lower Body + Abs)
Kathy Smith: Lift Weights to Lose Weight
Kathy Smith: Secrets to a Great Upper Body and Lower Body
Gilad: Quick Fit
Gilad: Express Workouts (you can see all the 10-min segments on YouTube for free and legally, just search for "Gilad 2008 challenge")
Cathe Friedrich: Muscle Max

Have fun!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 12:48 PM  
punkrockmom
VF Supporter

Jackie Warners Power Circuit Training was my first strength without any cardio dvd & it's still one I go back to a lot.
punkrockmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 01:11 PM  
jenn38

Cathe Muscle Max
Cathe Pyramiads
Cathe Gym Styles
Cathe XTrain Strength workouts
KCM 30 MTF Split Sessions
KCM 30 MTF Weights

I like Kelly for upper body and Cathe for lower body.
Old 07-21-14, 02:13 PM  
northernlight

I'll second (and third) what other posters have recommended.

Jari Love: Ripped

Jari love: Slim and Lean -- I just started doing this w/o last week and I love it.
Cathe: Pyramids -- I have only done Upper Body Pyramids, but intend to try the Lower Body w/o sometime before the end of July.

and I would add:

Cory Everson: Get Hard Arms and Shoulders -- This has been a favourite of mine for a long time. Unfortunately, only available on VHS.

Cathe: Butts and Guts: Only some of this w/o is done with weights. But it is such an amazing w/o for the caboose!

Karen Voigt: Great Weighted Workout. Light weights for upper body, ankle weights or dumbbell or bodyweight for lower body.
northernlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 02:36 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Do you want total body or split routines?

Cathe's recent X-train set had some good strength work, particularly Burn Sets for the upper body. It also has 3 other additional dvds for chest, back & shoulders, bis & tris as well as a leg one. I believe these can all be bought separately now so you don't have to buy the whole X-train set.

For a two day split, my favorite workouts Kathy Smith's Secrets to a Great Upper and Lower Body which are on her Super Slimdown Circuit dvd.

The Drop Two Sizes set has three levels of total body strength work and allows you to progress. The set also includes cardio, but the emphasis is definitely on the strength work.
Old 07-21-14, 02:40 PM  
Jeanne Marie

All of Cathe's weight workouts are excellent, but my most recent favorite is Burn Sets. It has done the most to increase my strength.

I still do the oldies but goodies too.... Pure Strength, Slow & Heavy, Pyramid Upper Body, GymStyles.
Old 07-21-14, 03:24 PM  
imhere2dance

I recommend Joyce Vedral's The Complete Bottom's Up Gold Plus!. The entire workout is great, but I think the abs section alone is worth buying the DVD for.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kcm strength, strength