Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-10, 01:23 PM  
pumptmuscle

Montenegro Method Strength is amazing!! Why aren't there more discussions about it?

I'm usually hesitant to get workouts that are new. I prefer older workouts, say workouts that have been out at least a year, as their reputations tend to be more established over time.

I had the chance recently to get Montenegro Method Strength for a little over $3 shipped. I checked the reviews for it and also saw a clip of it before getting it. They tended to be mixed. There were very few discussions of the workout here, too. At that price, I had to get it. I wasn't really expecting to like it though. I saw it listed on wish lists so if I didn't like it, I knew I wouldn't have a problem trading it away. Well...then I did it this morning.

WOW!!!

This dvd is amazing!! The exercises are effective and unique; I love the music; virtually everything Marta does is a compound move, often things I've never seen before; and you just gotta love her accent ("dumb-bulls" ). Even though the workouts are separated into upper body, lower and core/abs, they really aren't distinct workouts limited to those areas. Even the core section includes squats and lunges. There's so much muscle integration that it can be tough to tell all the things you're working during the moves. You can easily mix and match the different workouts to customize the exact workout you want to do.

I finished the full workout about an hour ago and I'm really feeling it in my back as I'm typing. There's a strong focus on the core throughout and she often reminds you to keep your core and abs tight. There are almost no rest breaks making this an even greater challenge. The moves themselves are so clever that for variety junkies like myself, it fits right in. She always does 10 reps, on each side if applicable, except for the core section where she does 12 so you can pick your weights accordingly (I strongly suggest medium to light weights).

Ok, yes there is a drawback. There's no warm up or cool down. Considering how well planned the workout structure is, I have no idea why. I have the feeling they'd be great. It's rare for me to do a workout without previewing it first but I did that this time and forgot those were missing. I just began with medium weights and did fine. I was actually expecting to go heavier (after all, this is a strength workout) but the mediums were perfect.

I realize I really lucked out getting this for slightly more than an sase but this far exceeded my expectations. It's definitely advanced but if you follow the modifier and maybe use light weights throughout, it could be suitable for intermediates (or maybe high intermediates). It's certainly a workout like no other I've done.

I'm surprised that we haven't had more discussions about this one. I think a lot of people who try this will like it and enjoy adding it to their routine. I wanted to give this innovative and challenging workout the attention I feel it deserves.

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 01:51 PM  
counterclockwise

I think most people thought it was boring, didn't like the music, etc.

I think the lower body workout on Strength, and all the workouts on Power and Endurance are terrific workouts. Endurance is one of those rare all body-weight, short, but still tough DVD workouts.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 01:52 PM  
c4ward

I've had this sitting on my shelf. Your discussion has encouraged me to use it tonight!
c4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 01:58 PM  
Cecelia

I love it too, Bob.
I bought the entire set back in May and I'm still using it. I don't do the entire DVD at a clip like you did but I think I have made gains in leg strength and in core strength, even using low to medium weights. She loves plank work and you use your legs even when working the upper body and the core because the compound movements are so well integrated. I also enjoy Marta; she's encouraging and I find her accent charming.
I usually do a warmup while the DVD is loading and I have my own stretches which I do routinely to keep my problem hips/lowback area in check so I have never really minded the lack of a warmup/cooldown.
You got it at a great price! I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Cecelia
Cecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 02:02 PM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4ward View Post
I've had this sitting on my shelf. Your discussion has encouraged me to use it tonight!
Same here LOL!

How much weights does she lift on the DVD? is pretty low weight or heavy weight?

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 02:31 PM  
pumptmuscle

It's beyond my comprehension how anyone can think this workout is boring. I literally just don't get it. The moves she does are so unique and iirc, none are repeated (excluding repeating moves on the opposite side). Before I got it, I thought this would be "just another weight workout" but boy was I wrong. I guess everyone has their own opinions.

Carla, it's hard to tell but as I say in the op, I strongly recommend medium to light weights. If anything, err on the lighter side. I did all 3 together so I was focused on pacing myself to get through it, which I barely did. You could go a little heavier if you do 2 workouts or 1 of them. Remember, a lot of these are compound moves, a la the Firm. While you may be able to go heavy on squats, for example, she also has you do overhead presses so you'd want to accommodate the shoulder work more than the squats. Don't worry, your legs will be getting a workout no matter what workout(s) you do.

** 50 time marathoner
Old 10-26-10, 02:51 PM  
htimpaired

Glad to hear you guys talking positively about this, I liked the clips and asked for the three of them for xmas!
htimpaired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 04:35 PM  
upperwside

Love this one and power as well. I tend to do the whole workout and not just sections. Bob.. try the power on too, i am sure you will like that one as well. It is similar.. but with more cardio.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 04:36 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

When the Montenegros first came out, there were only a few of us who were really vocal (me, Nyx and a couple others) about liking Marta's dvds. I haven't done one in a while but they're front and center on my shelf for when the urge strikes.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-10, 06:07 PM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
Love this one and power as well. I tend to do the whole workout and not just sections. Bob.. try the power on too, i am sure you will like that one as well. It is similar.. but with more cardio.
I will. I have a feeling I'll like them all. I'll be posting a trade list shortly and Power will definitely be on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy View Post
When the Montenegros first came out, there were only a few of us who were really vocal (me, Nyx and a couple others) about liking Marta's dvds. I haven't done one in a while but they're front and center on my shelf for when the urge strikes.
It looks like it was around the spring of this year. There was a long thread about how they were upcoming releases but hardly anything after. I'd love to hear more (positive or negative) from those who've done them.

** 50 time marathoner

Tags
marta montenegro, mm21, montenegro, montenegro method, strength