Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-17, 05:24 PM  
sherry7899

For some reason I can't focus on reading anything new lately. I have been re-reading some old favorites. I am currently going through the Irish author Patricia Scanlan's books.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 10:58 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I just finished The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood. I liked it much more than I thought I would. It was for book group that was supposed to meet tonight but I couldn't make it so I figured I wouldn't read it. The meeting got delayed a week and I have been sick so I ended up reading it in two sittings.

Sherry I haven't been in the mood to read books much either. I spend too much time reading the news and magazines, which only aggravates and depresses me so I really should stop. I hope that after reading Handmaid's Tale I will get back on a book reading kick.

I did start to read The Alienist by Caleb Carr. Its funny a friend recommended this to me years ago and it popped into my head to read it several weeks ago. Then I heard it is going to be a TV series and of course they are releasing editions that tie into the series. I decided I must read it before I watch it.

I have so many books I recently purchased and downloaded onto my kindle lately so I need to start reading again STAT!
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 11:17 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi,

Lori - thanks, I think that one is on my wishlist/to read list.

I'm currently reading The Purple Hibiscus which seemed to get a lot of buzz, at least around here....I'm only 25% into it according to Kindle and I'm enjoying it. I got sidetracked by watching Stranger Things and i haven't been reading as much as i usually do.

Am I the only one who will watch a TV series or movie and say "wow, that would make a great book" as opposed to reading a book and saying "wow, that would make a great movie"!

Donna
I really liked Purple Hibiscus. I thought it was better than Half of a Yellow Sun which got rave reviews. I also liked Americanah.
Old 11-30-17, 11:26 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
New book. My Absolute Darling. Amazing. A book that will stay with me forever. Can't recommend it strongly enough. Beautifully written. Horrifying and inspiring at the same time. A young girl, an abusive survivalist father.
My Absolute Darling is on my list as well. It was the #1 pick on the Indie Next List for September which I picked up at a little bookstore I visit. Thanks to your review Phyllis it is now on my "to read" list that keeps getting longer and longer.
Old 12-01-17, 12:02 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
For some reason I can't focus on reading anything new lately. I have been re-reading some old favorites. I am currently going through the Irish author Patricia Scanlan's books.

Sherry
I've been rereading too. My to be read pile on the bedside table is mostly stuff I've already read.

I've been trying to read The Book of Jhereg, which has an intriguing beginning and seems quite well written, but I can't get in to it. I've had the thought that maybe it's just not good bedtime reading for me, so I've put it beside my easy chair. Maybe I just need to take the plunge some evening after dinner.
Old 12-01-17, 09:09 AM  
donnamp

Leslie - I liked the Handmaid's Tale and I read the Alienist years ago, I think I will re-read it. I bet DH will want to watch the series. We are so opposite, he watches all the series and I read all the books! LOL!

Sherry and Anna - during this season, I do like to re-read some old favorites, too. "Comfort food" reading.

Right now I'm reading The Bear and the Nightingale - I think I would like it better if I had a chunk of time to sit and read it. Hopefully the weekend will give me that opportunity! I recently finished two quick reads - The Breakdown by B.A. Paris and Keep You Safe by Melissa Hill. Both were enjoyable and quick reading.

I also have Cinder on my Kindle which is a YA fantasy, that genre is hit or miss for me, so we'll see how it goes!

I have also started listening to books on my commute - which is great - don't know why I didn't do this sooner - I just started Dark Matter by Blake Crouch and I recently finished To Kill a Mockingbird, which I read twice and now listened to once. It is a favorite and my DD is reading it for school right now so it was nice to re-visit it so I can share it w/ her. I do want to read Go Set a Watchman, even though the reviews are mixed.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 09:36 AM  
sherry7899

Donna- I loved most of Melissa Hill's books but they seem to be losing their Irish flavor. One of them was made into a movie for the Hallmark Channel. I have to look up which one.

Old 12-01-17, 09:48 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Sherry - When we were at MIL's house over Thanksgiving, we watched Hallmark movies one evening. There were three movies in a row that I had read the book, including Melissa Hill's book.

I finally finished Dominion, all 600+ pages. It was a really engaging read, the only reason I stuck with it through 1.5 months and the craziness of buying a house, selling a house, and preparing to move.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 10:02 AM  
sherry7899

Laura-was the movie true to the book? I generally find that movie adaptations of books change too much of the story.

Old 12-01-17, 02:01 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Sherry - Actually, I didn't enjoy that book. They just kept not talking and making assumptions which led to problems that never had to happen. So, I enjoyed the version that dropped some of that.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading