Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-05-15, 03:35 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Amazon customer service

(I labeled this thread as off-topic but I don't believe it is. Not entirely, anyway.)

Has anyone else noticed the change in Amazon's customer service?

I ordered three items on Thursday. One isn't supposed to be available for two or three weeks but the other two shipped Friday. FedEx Smart Post! I am a Prime member and I always ask for two-day shipping. Smart Post will not get here in two days. The main reason I broke down and paid for Prime was to avoid FedEx Smart Post.

I sent an email asking what was going on (my invoice indicated it was a two-day shipping order) and got a response saying they were sorry I was upset because my item hadn't shipped yet but it wasn't available yet and they would change it to one-day shipping but that was all they could do. I sent another email saying, no, I'm talking about the items that have already shipped. Why were they shipped Smart Post?

I got another email once again mentioning the item that hasn't shipped yet, specifically by name this time. So once again, I emailed telling them that wasn't the items to which I was referring.

Finally, the third person who emailed understood my problem. They offered a one-month extension to Prime for my trouble and said they would call the shipper and try to get them to speed up shipping. Is that even possible?

The first thing I noticed was that all of these emails had grammar that would indicate the responders don't have a great command of English. Secondly, they all had what appeared to be Indian names.

I have absolutely nothing against people from India. But, am I going to have to send three emails every time I have an issue before someone understands what I'm saying? And why are shipments going out incorrectly?

The reason I mention this here is because this experience made me think of the recent thread about Jessica Smith's new release. IIRC, some people who have Prime had their items shipped out more slowly or not at all. I'm wondering why some of us are having this issue now.

I have always bragged about Amazon's amazing customer service. Is this the direction in which they are going?
Old 09-05-15, 03:47 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I haven't been having problems with the shipping times (yet) but as a prime member I would be upset if things were taking longer too. That is what you are paying for.
I also found that "speaking" to Amazon's customer service through email to be an exercise in frustration. I don't have to do it often but I dread it when I do.

Somewhat but not totally off-topic did everyone see the article in the NY Times a few weeks ago about how Amazon treats their employees? I meant to post it here but I was on vacation. Honestly even though I love Amazon it bothers me that independent and even chain bookstores are struggling because of Amazon. And if their business practices are shady I will hesitate to renew my Prime membership and shop locally more often. I am starting to do this now.
When we were in Scotland I found it refreshing (and somewhat amazing actually) to see so many bookstores. Mostly the chain type (WH Smith etc. ) but I miss going into a store and browsing through books. Here is a link to the (rather long) NY Times article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/te...lace.html?_r=0
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 03:50 PM  
SuzieC

I'm sorry to hear about this.

Yes, I had a similar issue where I had to explain via several emails what my problem was. I was extremely upset by what had happened, but in the end, no one understood and I had to let it go.

What happened was this.
I did not order anything but received an item in the mail.
When I emailed the person who's name was on the label, they told me THEY had ordered the item, but it was the wrong size so they printed the return label from Amazon.com and returned the item.
MY NAME AND ADDRESS WAS ON THE RETURN LABEL AS THE PERSON WHO SOLD THAT PERSON THE ITEM I RECEIVED.

I thought this was a HUGE deal (security wise), but in the end everyone blew it off and said I could "keep the item for free, because I was not charged a thing!". Why I would need a phone case for a phone I do not own, which features a picture of a football player I don't know is beyond me. I threw it in the trash.

But, I noticed in all the responses from Amazon support were that they were written by people who probably didn't understand my concern, and their English was very bad.

But I'm EXTREMELY concerned that my name and address were just given out. If I receive anything else in the mail, I'm going to freak out and cancel my Amazon accounts. I don't know what will happen to my Kindle books if I do that, however, and I have many of those.
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 03:53 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

SuzieQ I would have been upset too. That is just wrong! I don't even know how something like that happens. And to add insult to injury the people you spoke to didn't have a clue what you were talking about and why it was an issue.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 04:47 PM  
Zenara25

I have been having this issue for awhile now. Amazon Prime member with free 2 day shipping sent via UPS Ground quite often. I live on and island and so even if it's shipped from their Massachusetts warehouse it will still never reach me in 2 days! I have complained many times. They always say they'll look into it. I've had my prime account extended now by at least 5 months. Wish there was an option to actually enforce UPS 2nd day. When I need something very important I now have to choose Next Day to ensure it will reach me in time. They really need to coordinate better between the shipping company and when the package is actually expected for delivery. Not just look at the destination and say well there in the same state so it must be able to get there in 2 days. I've considered many times canceling but maybe I won't have to if they keep extending my membership. Very frustrating

I must say under the fine print regarding Amazon Prime it does state: "We may ship products by ground or air; our shipping speeds don't correspond to any carrier-branded shipping services"
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 05:34 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I've been a Prime member for years and recently ordered some vitamins that were marked Prime. The confirmation had a delivery date of 5 days later. Upon further inspection, the listing said something about taking a few extra days. Well, that's not Prime. Prime means I'll get it two days from when I ORDER, not from when it becomes available. I cancelled and looked for another Amazon seller.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 05:48 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

I've only had 1 of my Prime orders sent via SmartPost and, shockingly, it did arrive by the scheduled delivery date. I figured they had worked something out with SmartPost so that SP could accommodate the 2-day delivery window.

I have to admit, though, that I've been spoiled recently by having most of my shipments upgraded to one-day delivery at no extra charge. I've even used the Prime Now app which guarantees my delivery to be delivered via courier within 2 hours. It's pretty sweet and now if I am forced to wait for something for 2 days (where 1-day or Prime Now isn't available), it's a bit of a hassle. LOL
Old 09-05-15, 06:23 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Like others I'm a Prime member and have had experiences over the last year or so with stuff marked "Prime" that shows up late, sometimes only a day but sometimes longer. I've had to cancel a few items when I place the order and get the confirmation page with shipping times, and all of a sudden the guaranteed delivery date is 3-5 days away. Annoying.
Old 09-05-15, 08:25 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Suzie C, I don't even understand how that could happen. Do you sell on Amazon? Even if you do, that shouldn't happen. I, too, would worry about my personal information being handed out like that.

The shipping notice I received said my order would be here on time: on Wednesday. If it shipped Friday, that is not two-day shipping. How could they call that on time?

I just wonder what is going on.
Old 09-05-15, 10:26 PM  
SuzieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
Suzie C, I don't even understand how that could happen. Do you sell on Amazon? Even if you do, that shouldn't happen. I, too, would worry about my personal information being handed out like that.
Nope, never sold a thing on Amazon. I'm not a seller, anywhere. I never even purchased from the seller that the person who sent me the item purchased from originally. I'm really scratching my head - this happened about a month ago. Furthermore, the purchase was made from Amazon.com, I live in Canada. Though I sometimes (rarely) purchase from Amazon.com, most of my purchases are from Amazon.ca.
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, amazon prime, usps