Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-20, 03:18 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Fitness Budgets, streaming memberships, and Zoom

I'm just curious....I used to spend a lot of money on dvds. Now that technology has evolved....what's your limit as far as streaming subscriptions or Zoom classes you're willing to pay for? I think it's interesting what people consider is reasonable vs too expensive or not worth it.

I have 2 memberships that I use regularly; ETV and Ellen Barrett. Considering a third.

I do also Zoom my own classes and other instructors.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 03:58 PM  
Demeris

I don't stream much because I live in a rural area and have satellite internet, which charges by the gigabyte. When I have some gigabytes to spare at the end of the month, I download workouts from YouTube or Vimeo.

BUT if I lived where cable internet were available, I doubt I would ever spend that much on streaming, anyway. I like owning the workouts, and I try to limit leaks in my budget. I would probably, however, be willing to do the free trials that so many streaming sites offer, but that would be to determine whether or not I ought to buy their workouts.

As for Zoom, I've had to use Zoom several times during lockdown. I don't like it much. It really doesn't replace an in-person experience, at least for me it doesn't. And it uses up gigabytes like mad.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 04:51 PM  
prettyinpink

I have two now that together are a little over $200 per year. I don’t like managing monthly charges.

On top of that, I might do an additional sub or purchase for a month or two at a time, every so often. This year, I purchased one weight template during the initial shutdown, and then recently a couple months of another one during a different place.

I do have a no-frills gym subscription, but that is more for my family, for a couple of my kids to keep in shape over breaks or when sports are not happening. I use it a little bit because I have it, but if it were just me I’d do without.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 04:53 PM  
fanofladyvols

If I had to rely on streaming, I would still treat it as if it were a gym membership. That's how I treat my fitness budget now.

I would try to find subscriptions that filled my needs within that cost. So I would probably want three: 1) essentrics, 2) pilates and then 3) a site that provided cardio/strength.

If I couldn't achieve that within that cost I would opt for cardio/strength and essentrics.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 06:12 PM  
bubbles76

I think I would make do with free resources on YouTube, if I had to . It's amazing what I would spend monthly on dvds but would balk when it comes to streaming. Maybe it's that feeling of ownership.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 06:30 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I like to keep my streaming subscription limited to 2 sites and I almost always commit to the annual membership because most of the time it's a better deal. I usually do my research before I commit and if I'm not sure, I'll only subscribe for one month. My upper limit for monthly subscription is $19/month. If I buy an annual membership it's about $130/year - but most are cheaper. I wait for specials.

Bubbles, I like free youtube workouts but I hate being constantly interrupted by ads that youtube intersperses within the workout itself. Example: latest Gina B's 80's Retro workout. Ads in the beginning, 8 minutes into it - another ad and that's when I just gave up. Youtube is aggressively pushing paid subscription in my area, and I'm just not going to do it. That's why if I like the instructor, I'm willing to pay for subscription so that I can enjoy my workouts ad-free.
Old 12-02-20, 06:33 PM  
jusca

The most I'd spend is $10/monthly for a short-term period of 1-2 months. I'd try a service out then quit it. I neglect any non-entertainment streaming so it's a money waste for me. The streaming services I've tried have been for rut busting when I'm tired of my dvds, which is rare.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 06:35 PM  
laurajhawk

I pay $99/year for Beachbody On Demand, and I pay $60/month for a yoga studio membership. Right now, I only use the studio membership for Zoom classes - I have unlimited access to both livestream and recorded classes. I find the livestream experience - especially on Zoom, where we can chat before & after class - to be much more immediate and personal than a recorded class or DVD, but that's probably because it's a small studio and we all know each other.
Back in the before time, I would occasionally go to yoga workshops and retreats. I have an allowance that I used for those expenses plus DVDs and gear, and most of that money is stacking up right now.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 06:54 PM  
fanofladyvols

Dana I think your monthly upper limit is a good one.

I also agree I'm frustrated with the frequency of the youtube ads. They ruined my pilates challenge experience.

Even before the ad in your face campaign, I rarely returned to a workout on YouTube. Couple that with videos randomly disappearing and I just have no desire to subscribe to YouTube.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 07:11 PM  
Izzy

My income is pretty low and expenses high. I don’t have a gym membership and only stream ETV and Ellen. When I had an additional PT job I did streaming with a yoga studio but had to give that up when Covid hit and lost the job. I know eventually streaming will not be an option for me if I ever retire so I am happy I have all my CS/Essentrics DVDs. But I do love ETV but I have also had issues of the episode freezing or just stopping which then I have to re log in etc.

I would pay for a Zoom class. I have had a few issues with those as well. It’s frustrating to pay $10 for a class and have tech issues. I pay the $14.95 for ETV which I think is pricey. I for sure would not pay more than that. Essentrics IS pretty good with new content. It is bothersome to pay a lot and only get 1 or 2 new classes per month.

I will add this. I respect the work these instructors go through but I don’t need bells and whistles, fancy sets etc. I am happy with their live classes and wish they offered them on DVD or downloads.

Tags
budget, subscriptions