Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-20, 06:24 PM  
jordan

Kristin Kagen 99.99

I saw her VHS workouts priced at 99.99 on Amazon . Do people really pay that much for a workout video? When I did a lot of step, I thought Step This Way was fun but I don’t think I would pay that much. How high would you go

So I wonder, with the ability to transfer VHS to DVD does anyone still look for VHS workouts and if so which ones?

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 06:34 PM  
Mickey12

I have purchased vhs in the past because I have a dual player that can convert vhs to dvd as long as they are not copy protected. But, I can still play vhs too. Sometimes I see them at the Salvation Army and will pick them up for the fun factor and nostalgia. I found a QVC host walking workout with Leslie Sansone that I bought just for fun. It was really a hoot to see everyone as a younger version of themselves.

I have purchased old Richard Simmons or Denise Austin too, again, mainly for the nostalgia factor.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 06:48 PM  
bubbles76

I'll just wait for them to show up on YouTube, if they were never released to dvd . I don't have a VHS player.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 07:44 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi jordan--good to "see" you---it's been awhile!

Personally I wouldn't pay 99.99 for any workout (even Step My Way, which I love, and have converted to DVD)! I do occasionally look for VHS workouts, but I convert them to DVD rather than doing the workout using the VCR. I still have some conversions of other VHS recordings to do so I'm trying to "preserve" the one VCR I was able to find at the thrift store. There are still a lot of VHS workouts that haven't made it to You Tube unfortunately.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience

Last edited by cataddict; 09-10-20 at 07:45 PM. Reason: add item
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 08:59 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Xtend Barre Lean & Chiseled DVD (2011) by Andrea Rogers sold price is as high as $100 plus shipping - again, this is the "sold" price, not the asking price. This is a 55 minute workout. i'm guessing it's closing at these prices due to the popularity of her "streaming only" series. her Quick Sculpt pilates is going for bonkers prices too.

Andrea has 3 DVDs that i know of - xtend Barre and the 2 10MS workouts.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-20, 05:08 PM  
jordan

Hi Cataddict-nice to be able to stop by more often.

There have been a few VHS workouts I would have bought. Namely, GI Jabb (I can’t remember which one I was looking for) and the early Powerstrikes. I still have my VCR which I use to play the GI jabbs that I own. Once in a blue moon I use an early FIRM.

The only other VHS videos I have are a few early Cathe step workouts, Step this Way, JF Lower Body Solution, Cindy Crawford shape your body (which I don’t remember ever using) and a Yoga Pilates video (which I just recently found still in the sealed postal box. I don’t have any idea where this one came from cause I’m sure I didn’t order it. I had this group of workouts packed up thinking I would throw them out but maybe I’ll check them out again someday. I don’t know why, but I feel guilty putting them in the trash. I have a VCR. Didn’t even realize they didn’t make them anymore . I did see a couple listed as new online but WOW the price.

jordan
Old 09-11-20, 05:13 PM  
jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Xtend Barre Lean & Chiseled DVD (2011) by Andrea Rogers sold price is as high as $100 plus shipping - again, this is the "sold" price, not the asking price. This is a 55 minute workout. i'm guessing it's closing at these prices due to the popularity of her "streaming only" series. her Quick Sculpt pilates is going for bonkers prices too.

Andrea has 3 DVDs that i know of - xtend Barre and the 2 10MS workouts.

WOW ! At least it is a DVD. I just don't think I would pay that much, but maybe the pay to play ratio makes the price a good buy for the purchaser.

jordan
Old 09-11-20, 06:14 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I'm moving and just a couple of hours ago put the last.of my VHS tapes in the trash. The place I'm moving out of is in Seattle so there is no place to take them before we have to be out, not that anywhere is taking them any more. I didn't have a VCR player here since we cleared out for putting it on the market and just got rid of our last one where we live now. It does feel like the end of an era. Some.of these never went on to DVD and there obviously was a reason I hung on to this dozen or so. But I've reached a point where I'm no longer keeping things for sentimental reasons unless they're really significant.

As for price, some of those listings never sell and I'm not sure the vendors expect them to. I've never figured out what the rationale is. As for the things that are selling, right now there are a lot of people working out at home.who are new to it and everything is in short supply. Someone I sort of know was comparing the price of step DVDs and a step to buying a Peloton bike and their streaming service and thought it was the better deal. She could only get them from 3rd party vendors for a mark up plus shipping but could afford it, was happy to get them and desperate.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-20, 06:45 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Xtend Barre Lean & Chiseled DVD (2011) by Andrea Rogers sold price is as high as $100 plus shipping - again, this is the "sold" price, not the asking price. This is a 55 minute workout.
What a coincidence! Just yesterday I was looking for a couple of DVDs in my vast collection and I came across this DVD and thought I used to like it and should give it a go again. I may do it tomorrow. Hundred dollars though, is a crazy price to pay for a DVD. I'm kinda glad now I rarely purge anything in my collection!