Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-20, 01:43 PM  
TracyQ

Tony Horton Announcement

Tony Horton is selling raffles to finance his next project.

You can watch his announcement here on YouTube
https://youtu.be/xiEEqbX4n40

And purchase tickets here
https://tonyhortonraffle.com/landing-page1594876887450

The YouTube video made me sad. IMO Tony was the “King” of Beach Body and the home workout. He’s hit hard times and has to raise money to make his next series. I hope this project works out for him. P90X got me into the best shape of my life and I attended two of his fitness camps back in the day. The first camp was held before Tony really took off and there was just a small group of campers so we had a lot of access to him for the whole weekend. It was so much fun. We worked out, went horse back riding, ate healthy meals, ran obstacle courses and sang karaoke. By the time of the second camp P90X had really taken off and there were a lot more people competing for Tony’s attention but it was still a great experience working out with him live.

I am going to purchase a $25 raffle to help him out.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-20, 02:45 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Full Disclosure: I met Tony once and he was less than gracious. I can see how he landed where he is now.

I watched most of the video. Apparently, he and his wife are broke. He made money when he worked with Beachbody. He saved none of it, preferring to blow it all on $500 shirts, etc. He fell ill due to stress and took a long time to recuperate.

Now, he wants us to send him money to make a fabulous new workout system.

I wish him well, but do not care to donate.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-20, 03:05 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I quit watching after 2 minutes of "are we still sideways?" But it doesn't make sense that he's on hard times, because there's a blog post on Beachbody from just a few days ago about a typical day in his life, working out, going to yoga classes in Malibu and selling a new skin care line. Why doesn't he do a kickstarter? Sounds fishy.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-20, 03:32 PM  
Pam

Does anyone know if the final product of the workouts going to be streaming or DVD?
Old 07-25-20, 03:38 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I didn't at all get the impression he's fallen on hard times -- even with that thought in my head. Seems to me he made some bad spending decisions, but beyond that, there was nothing to say he's hurting. He just wants to make the next program and he doesn't have a giant company behind him to do that. Cathe would do a presale. He's doing a raffle. Personally I think a presale might have been a better approach for him. I also question the "millions" it takes to make one of those programs -- maybe a million, but plural millions? Really?
Old 07-25-20, 04:00 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I didn't at all get the impression he's fallen on hard times -- even with that thought in my head. Seems to me he made some bad spending decisions, but beyond that, there was nothing to say he's hurting. He just wants to make the next program and he doesn't have a giant company behind him to do that. Cathe would do a presale. He's doing a raffle. Personally I think a presale might have been a better approach for him. I also question the "millions" it takes to make one of those programs -- maybe a million, but plural millions? Really?
About halfway through, the missus jokes that if "you don't buy enough raffle tickets we'll have to start selling things from our house." Then, Tony jokes that he'll sell his car that he hasn't driven in 4 months. Maybe that was said all in fun.

It's too bad Tony didn't hook up with some fitness company to do product endorsements. That's what many aging athletes do.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 07-25-20, 04:55 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
About halfway through, the missus jokes that if "you don't buy enough raffle tickets we'll have to start selling things from our house." Then, Tony jokes that he'll sell his car that he hasn't driven in 4 months. Maybe that was said all in fun.
Yep, I heard that part..... I think they were just joking and I think people who are really in that situation wouldn't be joking like that. But I could be totally wrong -- these are just my impressions.

Heck, I haven't driven my car more than about five times since March!
Old 07-25-20, 05:31 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Yep, I heard that part..... I think they were just joking and I think people who are really in that situation wouldn't be joking like that. But I could be totally wrong -- these are just my impressions.
Heck, I haven't driven my car more than about five times since March!
Bee, you're probably right.

I should watch it again, but I have limited bandwidth. And limited patience.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 07-25-20, 05:31 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I was confused by the whole thing. I guess the bottom line is he is no longer with BB and needs to fund a new workout system himself, so he is doing a raffle to come up with the money. I don't understand how he has fallen on hard times since he has other businesses, but who knows. How do Cathe, Jessica Smith and others do it? A lot of them don't even do DVDs anymore, so I wouldn't think it's that expensive to film something with all the technology these days and put it up online, but I have no idea.
Old 07-25-20, 05:43 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

That was strange....

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beachbody, less tony option, tony horton