Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-01-20, 10:07 AM  
Tugger31

Unhappy FIRM-like Rotation Advice

I'm looking for something similar to the FIRM's 90 day rotation but not the FIRM. Ideally something with metabolic feel with some pure strength here and there. I can't seem to stick to the FIRM b/c I don't like alot of the workout personalities and the Stepford wives feel. I just end up hitting Eject. I do, however, like the concept of the rotation. Where I'm at right now is that Jessica is a bit too easy, Cathe a bit too high impact and intense. I don't click with Linda or KCM, but I like the 30 min concept, but that is not a deal breaker. I tried Slim Series but they're too long and too hard to break up into smaller segments. B/c of some vertigo issues I'm looking for something with not a lot of burpee or up/down, but a few are okay. I'd prefer dvds or something free on youtube. I'm feeling in a bit of workout rut. Anything new (or old) out there that might fit the bill?? I'm really needing a rotation right now and can't seem to find something motivating right now
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 11:31 AM  
fanofladyvols

Any of these appeal to you?
Supreme 90
Men's Health Circuit, Muscle system, 15 minute workouts, Belly off Strength
Spartacus workouts
Men's health MH60, MA40, Metashred, Anarchy workouts
Added: Power 90

Harder to find but Men's health Deltafit

You can find the Belly off, the Spartacus and some Metashred workouts on youtube.

There are Prevention and Women's Health workouts as well.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 12:45 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

what workouts do you already own? many, many VFers have taken the rotation and substituted it with other brands/instructors.

this is the firm 90DR and you can see the concept behind it and insert whatever workout you want to mimic that rotation.
http://videofitness.com/~vfwnk/forum...read.php?t=262

i lacked a handful of Firm workouts when i did my first 90-day rotation. i substituted the ones i didn't have with instructors like Karen Voight, Cindy Crawford, Gilad and Keli Roberts.

since that time, there have been quite a few other instructors that can be substituted for the workouts in the Firm 90DR: Jari Love, Debbie Siebers, KCM, Stephanie Huckabee (Daniel Plan comes to mind), Kathy Smith (Project You comes to mind), and even some of Cathe's intermediate workouts can be used.

That said, there are very few workouts that do leg press and tall box climbs such as The Firm. It's something almost unique to the Firm. Cathe is one of the few and Michelle Dozis does them in just 1 of her workouts.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 01:50 PM  
fanofladyvols

Ohh good call Jeannine

I forgot about Jari Love...have you tried hers?

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 11-01-20, 03:32 PM  
kat999

I would echo the Jari Love recommendation. If you had the complete set of her DVDs, you'd find that some have cardio intervals and some don't, and many have premixes so you can stick to 30, 45, or 60 minutes. For those that don't have premixes, she does a lot of stretching in between sets, so you could really just quit at the 30-minute mark if you wanted and do your own cool down and additional stretches.
Old 11-01-20, 04:18 PM  
fanofladyvols

And when Jari gets squat happy,
you can sub in leg presses or tall box climbs

Old 11-01-20, 07:03 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
And when Jari gets squat happy,
you can sub in leg presses or tall box climbs
true - good point.

P90x workouts are another source of workouts - the lengths are equivalent. you can make some substitutions too:
- Tony doesn't do any chest press/flyes, so you can sub those for push-ups
- For pullups, you can follow the modifier who uses bands or you can do rows
- or an opportunity to do The Firm tall box climbs/leg press in place of all the pull-ups and push-ups in P90x even though it's a LB move

The Firm back then had very little cardio workouts when they created the F90DR. Fat Blaster, Core Cardio 1 and 2, TCM and TAM were the primary cardio workouts. When i felt tired of those i usually did Gin Miller Step or another instructor's step workout like Keli Roberts or Kathy Smith since this would be equivalent to short box cardio work. Since then, there have been more step workouts like KCM, Kathy Kaehler, Jenny Ford, and even Zumba.

i didn't have Core Cardio 1 and 2 back then because i had heard it had a dread factor, and it was on VHS with no ability to skip chapters. i eventually got the Fitness Favorites versions that are chaptered but have yet to try these 2.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 07:28 AM  
buffmama

Heather Robertson has monthly calendars on her youtube channel. Her workouts are primarily full body metabolic mixing cardio and strength although she throws in some dedicated strength work. Impact is both high and low and easily modifiable. Most workouts are about 30 minutes although times vary.
Old 11-03-20, 02:55 PM  
Tugger31

I did Jessica's Tread & Shred today, it was a bit more intense then some of her others. I'm thinking I could classify this as a "Hare" workout (??) Are there any other Jessica workouts on dvd that have this intensity or a bit more intense??

I'll also check out Heather Robertson, thanks
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm 90 day rotation, mh60, rotation, rotations