Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-20, 09:09 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy Saturday,

Today was Firm Strength with Pam. I haven't done this one in almost three months! This one gets me every time, I think it's the long focused intervals of lower body and then upper body. Unlike Firm Cardio with shorter intervals of lower and upper. There is more burn out with Firm Strength.

Eventmom Firm Strength always makes me think of you! I know this one and Vol 3 (which I plan to pull out soon) are your faves!

Buzzer It was a few years ago with the obsidian boards - maybe 3 or 4 years ago? I remember they were basically going out of business or whatever and they were clearing inventory, and I got a really good deal. I don't remember how much I spent but I got the board without any DVDs. It has been a good purchase for me! I had gliding discs (the ones that are really furniture moving disks) but they never seemed that slippery on carpet, and nothing is slippery on my blue gymnastics mat that I work out on. But the Obsidian board is VERY slippery with the little booties it came with!

There is a barre workout that uses the slider, I want to say Beyond Barre or something? Mary used to sell them (I think there may have been 2). Also Linda/Barlates uses gliders a lot with her barre. And I really like the Dream Body Bump (pregnancy) workout which uses sliders! But wow I still think about how much I didn't like Cathe's Slide and Glide. But, almost all of the DVDs I've purchased of hers have been winners.

I started in with a journal from probably about 12 or teenage-ish and am about to turn 38 and still avidly use a journal. I really think it helps with my anxiety! You should try using one again! At least it's a cheap investment.

I just had Chick fil a nuggets for the first time in a couple of years! When we went out of town for our day trip the other day. LOL! They were good but I find nearly all store bought food, especially meat, to just be so salty! Not just chick fil a. But I like that you can get them grilled or breaded. And I got their macaroni and cheese side and that was definitely delicious

The last time I got a crick in my neck it took me I felt like a solid week to get over it! WOW getting older is startling in that way I really hope you're feeling better by now!
Old 10-11-20, 02:58 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yoga basics Caribbean aerobics - it's a nice yoga routine about 1/2 standing, 1/2 sitting good before I take a jumping lesson.

ebianco - yes! I love that firm - love Pam she's great. haven't done a firm in I don't know how long.

hi buzzer!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 09:30 AM  
Buzzer

AWOHL Legs... DONE!
a whole lotta workouts and nothing done.... done.

Yesterday I did the AWOHL workout for legs. I skipped a squat section and instead did extensions and curls, which was great! I did a lot of the exercises by themselves instead of with another one, and went slow and controlled for most of it. The extensions and curls I went faster on the way up then slower on the way down, but that's the only way I have found I can continue to progress on those so that's where I didn't.

I wore my vest for most of it, and did enjoy the workout. my legs are pleasantly sore today, not "I can't walk or sit on the pot!" sore, but more like "OK, I feel those muscles" sore.

Last night I didn't sleep well. LB and I are in the camper, it was windy. Which wasn't bad, but it did get cool in the camper, and LB kept sitting up and adjusting her covers. She was sleeping with me, which ended up being good because there's no way our space heater would have kept both ends of the camper warm, and the bunk beds and my bed are at opposite ends of the camper.

I was up at 2:45, finally got out of bed at 3:30am. I drank my coffee, checked the weather and news, blah blah blah. At about 6:15am I went back into bed, and figured I could lay there for 45 minutes and try to sleep, or I could sleep. I slept!! So I woke up at 7:20am, and went to workout.

It was a bad workout. I did the warm up of a death box firm (abs legs and hips or something like that) and it was too lifty for my legs that are sore, so I stopped the workout. Then I did the warmup on a BSS one that I had labeled good abs, because I decided to do an abs. I didn't like it. It was Allie, and sometimes I like her, sometimes I don't. Today was an "I don't" because I just was in a kinda "I don't wanna move" mood.

I then moved to Insanity cardio abs, because it was short. Forgetting Insanity is a lot of jumping, and thinking it would just be abs, I took it down about 3 notches, did V sits up and downs (or back and forth? from a V to a very obtuse angle with my legs and upper body) instead. Then he moved to the floor for C shape abs, which were OK, but I was cheating, not doing anywhere near my best, and was just a reluctant student. So I bagged it all and just called it a rest day.

Good day to rest.

We worked on the garage yesterday, and DH decided that we could pour concrete this week!!! So we put plywood on all the door corners so they don't move, and he said he'll schedule it! I am so excited! I think he rethought it when I talked to him on Sunday morning and decided to skip more of the busy work and cut to the building part. I am not interested in a hard freeze for weeks, where the blocks freeze to the ground in the snow and ice, and we are trying to lift 20 pound bricks into place while we can't feel our fingers.

So yay, maybe some progress!!!

Today is school, violin, probably scooping poop at the horse pasture, picking up my car, and going to look at halloween costumes for LB. We are getting quickly to the day of halloween and I am once again late on getting her a costume, and she may end up with a crappy one because time got away from me!!

Ebianco: I think it was beyond barre that I was waiting for and wanted the obsidian for!!! I remember seeing the previews and falling in love, then it didn't come out. I guess it finally did, and I missed it! HA! oh well. no slide board anyhow. I do have glide discs, I bet if I got beyond barre I could use those instead. But that obsidian looked so pretty!

I agree that chick fil a nuggets are super salty. I usually get a salad because I can't eat very many of the nuggets. LB and DH love them, so we go there. I do like their salads though and usually get that instead. They also have good shakes, LB gets them and I drink a little of them. I can't have a whole one, it blows me up like a balloon for a day or two! so does egg nog, and I'd rather have egg nog. I have a love/hate relationship with egg nog season! We have egg nog right now, and I drink just a little bit in the evening so I feel like crap for a short amount of time, then hopefully it all goes down by the morning.

The crick in my neck is still there a little bit. Not so much that it bugs me, but enough where it annoys me. I am ignoring it as much as I can!

Eventmom: The horse does trip, and we've wondered if it's the hooves. Yesterday in the wind, she sent us a video of all 3 horses running around agitated from the wind, and we laughed. I guess we shouldn't be worried about pain! The horse was running and doing good with it! I'm sure the tripping is just the hooves. The farrier comes out this week, so hopefully that is taken care of!

So we are about done with camper sleeping. It's getting colder, and I don't want to walk out when it's super cold, or in the snow. The camper is situated about 100 yards from the workout room, so it is a bit of a walk to go potty. Last night with the wind, made me realize I don't want to walk out in the cold!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-20, 09:38 AM  
Buzzer

AWOHL Arms... DONE!

This was shoulders to start, all 20 reps. Then heavy biceps, like supposed to only get 6 reps biceps. Then triceps that start out heavy and end up "whatever you can do in 30 seconds". I ended up doing 15 reps for all the exercises that were supposed to be 30 seconds. I pushed, and for the most part I did more than 6 reps. Some of the exercises, like skull crushers, the weight that I should be able to do 6 reps at I couldn't even do 1 or 2 reps. The weight I could lift, I could do 10-12 reps. So I just increased the reps and called it good. I was able to lift the weights for 6 reps on biceps, so those I got the 6 in. Otherwise I did more reps.

I tried to get my weights logged onto the "total body" workout for AWOHL, but I didn't understand what the rep range was. Even what the set range is! It said like "Ladder up, 1-4 build 5-10 reps heavy" or something like that. I looked at it and couldn't figure it out at all. So which is it? 1-4 or 5-10 reps? and each exercise was written like it had one set, and I think then where it says "combo set" at the bottom of each "ladder" that perhaps it would be the second set, of all of them together? I don't know. So instead of guessing, I will either look it up or do a Firm instead. I'm sure it was made intentionally confusing to look important and to make sure you subscribe to BBOD to see what it is, but I have enough workouts not to fall into their trap. Bwahaha!!

Yesterday we found LB a giraffe costume she loves. She looks adorable in it too! We both were surprised she wants to be a giraffe, but she is happy. My car is still in the shop. Sunday when we went to church, the display said my back tire was down to 15 psi. I thought it must be a computer glitch, because the car has a whole 300 something miles on it, the tires should be fine. Well yesterday when we got in the car, it said "13 psi". So, knowing we are in the "blow out" range, I drove slowly on the backroads to the tire place.

Sure enough, it was flat. He said it didn't even register on his tire gage. So he blew air into it, and asked if I wanted it fixed. I said "it's not even my car!" so I called the dealership where my car is being worked on, and left them a message about their car. The guy at the tire store said it would take about an hour to fix it, I am NOT having someone else work on a brand new car that isn't even mine!! The dealership has yet to call me back, which is weird. I do have their car though, DH said we can fill it with the air compressor if it is flat again today, and hopefully I will have my car back today.

I am really feeling today's work! My arms were shaking. When I was training, I used to say "if you can got to drink your water after your bicep work and miss your mouth, it was a good bicep workout". I almost missed my mouth, and my water bottle was shaking. So it was a good workout!

I watched KCM splits, the full body workout while I did it. That looks like a good workout too. I might use light weights and do her workout as a full body instead of the total body WOHL.

So essentially, I really like AWOHL. oh, and it's Sagi not Tony! I was looking up what the ab workout is on the 'net, and noticed that it's Sagi. I kept thinking this was a Tony Horton workout.

Waves to both of you! I hope things are working out in your favor Ebianco.
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 10-13-20, 07:13 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

monday - flexibility for athletes
today - TA hip 2.5 day 4 + your body breakthru cardio

So this level is getting more doable but no way will I ever do all the plank work.

this was not my week for DVD purchases. I got the lastic lite -and it is a good stretch but somehow I missed it was $10 for 1 15 minute stretch! Then I finally got the Valerie Waters set - it's 6 discs. One 50 min circuit for women one 50 min circuit for men. 1 dvd with her intro stuff where she just sat at her computer and talked. One dvd where she is in her kitchen talking through some recipes, one dvd that is a 15 min power yoga workout by someone else and one disc that is recipes. not my best research but I'll try it and probably throw away all the other discs - one is pix-elating and the box got trashed in the mail.

buzzer - great job on the workout! sorry about the loaner I wouldn't fix a loaner either but you probably picked up a nail or something. Glad the farrier will be out this week, that should address the issue.

hi ebianco!
Old 10-15-20, 06:22 AM  
Buzzer

P90X Yoga... DONE!

Yes, I did it again! I do love this workout. I feel stretched, and I have figured out how to modify it to me to feel the most stretched. I don't try to go low into the warriors like he wants me to, and I modify the warrior 3/half moon/twisting half moon to be doable for me. I prop my leg up on the standing leg balance, and just stretch my hamstrings. Overall, it's a great stretch workout for me! I did skip my usual... the yoga belly 7, locust (he does it forever and I don't have the wrists for it), and the frog that he does forever. I don't know why he holds those two torturous poses forever.

My arms were screaming yesterday from the AWOHL arms, and they even are today!! I love that. I am debating another week of that, or going back to the body beast workouts. They are kinda comfortable and still tough for me right now. Did you ever have a week or so where you just feel defeated, beaten, and just done? I am having that week. So I need the comfortable workouts!

I binged on Chex mix yesterday, and seriously felt like crap. But it was comforting to do it at the time! I swear my butt has swollen, pants that usually I have no problem pulling over my butt are tight to pull over. They fit once they are on though. I don't know if it's swelling from the workouts or what, but hopefully it isn't permanent. That's all I need, not to fit into any pants now!

LB and I went and got the coffee table we wanted yesterday. Well, we paid for it, we get it on Friday. I don't know if we have room in our living room for a coffee table, but we need a table for school, for eating, for working puzzles and just in general trying to get things out of the puppy's way. It's this one so even though it is painfully expensive, we are gaining some seating, some individual desks for school, dining area, craft/puzzle/game area.... I spent a few weeks talking myself into it. I am glad we did it!

So that is my week highlight!! HA! We are looking forward to getting it and putting it together on Friday!

Yesterday when LB and I got home, we just bummed in the camper and watched things on the internet, and she has a horse game she played. I kept thinking how I should get us to do something else, but in the end I decided we both just needed to bum and do nothing with our brains, so I let us waste the evening. I guess we need that every now and then.

Eventmom: We went and watched the farrier. I held the horse while LB and the lady watched and asked questions. LB was fascinated! The farrier was great and answered every question, and took time with LB showing her what she was doing and why. She took before and after pictures to show me and LB. The hooves look SO different after! She said that probably was why she was tripping, and explained why. It was an excellent education! LB is turning horse crazy now She got her hair washed and styled earlier in the day, and I told her we should take her 3rd grade pictures with her hair all pretty.

She asked to have her picture taken with the horse, so after the farrier, I took her picture. I got some great ones! I need to send them in and let the lady who owns the horse have one. LB was so proud.

I have been sending LB to get her hair washed and styled every 2 weeks because we have well water, and it turns her hair into, you know those weeds that will catch on your clothes and not let go? That's what her hair turns into. It gets so rough and tangled and untangling it is hard. Washing it makes it worse. The hair lady said it's probably because of our well water. So she charges us just $10 to wash and style LB's hair. It makes a world of difference, gives me an hour to just sit back and relax while she's doing it, and gives LB a little pampering for $10! Of course I overtip, so it's more worth the hair lady's time.

I was looking at the lastics stretch too a while ago, because everyone was saying how stretched they feel after it! I love that feeling, and was looking for a workout that did it. I didn't buy it, but I guess that was good if it's only 15 minutes!! Wow. I didn't know that. Sorry about your dud purchases. I do that sometimes too and kick myself for not being a better researcher. That set is crazy though, I hate it when they add on recipes, tips, ideas, a whole "workout" of form tips, etc. just to bulk up the DVD count of a set

Hi Ebianco!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 10-15-20, 01:32 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all,

Catching up from last week-

Sunday: Fitprime G-Force with Tracie (about 20 minutes of rebound cardio) and Pure Barre Results Thighs, for an overall 65 minute workout.

Mon-Tues: Planned rest

Wed: Fitprime Metaboost. I got a better workout than the last time I did this one by upping my poundage. I still don't like it as much as Pump, but it's still good for variety!

Today: A new to me but oldie workout, Cathe High Step Challenge. I really liked it! I did not do the full 68 minute workout but the 51 minute timesaver workout. It still hit all the muscle groups plus cardio. I am a late bloomer to loving Cathe but I love her now! I mean, not the deepest love I reserve for Firm and Pure Barre , but I'm still truly enjoying her workouts. I thought her workouts were okay in the past but never really clicked with them like I have been lately.

Tomorrow, cardio and stretch, I enjoyed Jessica Smith's stretch DVD last week so I may do that again, or Classical Stretch which I haven't done in a while.

Eventmom That is a sincere bummer on your Valerie Walters set. What a lot of junk on there for a 6-DVD set! I also saw the Lastic DVD on Mary's site, especially since I've been looking for more stretch workouts. But then I saw that they are only 15 minutes, and thought UGH I can just find something on youtube for that length of time. That is definitely not such a deal for $10.

Buzzer There was a lot of build up on Beyond Barre but then it seemed like nobody got it, or didn't review it I guess. I really like the obsidian board though. I use it for all my gliding work. Although I was turned off by gliding when I did Cathe Slide and Glide and my lower back hurt so much, I've mostly avoided it since then. But I know I'll come around. I really like the gliding work on some other DVDs.

Yeah I like the chick fil salads better than the nuggets too! But they are insanely popular. It seems like everybody is obsessed with chick fil a. I have a drive through location near me, and there are TWO rows of car drive through lanes, and they are always packed with a huge line in each. I'm like, it's okay but not wait in line for 20 minutes good, right? LOL. They definitely have their loyal following. It's like the Starbucks near me, that also always has a packed line around it, no matter the time of day.

I bet LB makes an adorable giraffe!! And I like the nesting tables you picked out!

I've been eating, and feeling, like crap the past several days. I had that weight loss for a week before I plumped back up again, I think from my own crappy eating more than a mystery come and go bloat. I'm just stressed out still. DH was told he would have a decision on his thing within two weeks...which came and passed earlier this week on Tuesday. So I guess we remain in purgatory And work is REALLY busy and will stay that way through the end of the month, but then starting in November should become more leisurely! I just need to push through the next two weeks.
Old 10-15-20, 04:55 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - TA 2.5 day 5 - no cardio - my farrier came out!
today - TA 2.5 day 6 + DC 1.1

buzzer - farrier work well done is pretty amazing and it sounds like the horse needed the trim I'm sure the tripping will improve. Wow, $10 sounds cheap for anything with hair. We never had that problem with any of our wells but every place is different. I think your nesting tables are a good solution, at least you can reduce the space they take when you push them in . thanks for the sympathy on my bad purchases, not the end of the world just teaching me to be more careful.

ebianco - so sorry you don't have resolution on your husband's issue. A lot of junk is a good way to put it with those extra dvds, and honestly one is maybe 15 minutes total and it's just her talking to the camera on her computer, no lighting, nothing.
Old 10-16-20, 09:41 AM  
Buzzer

Firm Vol 2 with 4 pound weights.. DONE!
body Beast Bulk chest... DONE!

So yesterday I was sore in pretty much every muscle group still, so I decided to do Vol 2. I used 4's for the whole thing, and just did no weights (except my shoes) on the floor work. It was still tough! I loved it though. I think Vol 1 is my favorite since it was my first, but Vol 2 is my true favorite. I have always loved that workout.

Today I did chest bulk. I did the same weights I used last time, and it was TOUGH. I had a rotator cuff injury in my 20's, and on the incline flies it starts to hurt (that's how I got the injury in the first place, on incline flies). So I changed the final set of incline close chest press to an incline fly to close chest press to a regular chest press. It took that twingey feeling out of my shoulder.

I watched Cathe's STS disc 25 chest and back while I did it, so I rested with them a few times. I have found I really like watching workouts while I workout! I guess it's like watching hoarders while you clean. That show always motivates me! Is it even on anymore? I haven't cleaned to that in a while. I need to though!

anyhow, I pushed myself super hard! It was a great chest workout!

So yesterday the horse kicked towards us. It was scary! We all flinched and moved backwards. I am having Mom brain torture that my instinct was to move myself back and I didn't grab LB, but she was Ok. She said the horse was very close to her face though. I don't know what's going on, Eventmom! The horse is suddenly bucking more, and kicking towards us. It seems like it's just lately. She will put down her head to be scratched and is super sweet and cooperative when we are doing ground work, and when she kicked at us was when LB was using the flag to just get her to walk around the arena. It's like when the lead rope is off, she suddenly is getting feisty. LB hasn't ridden her for a while, since the bucking incident with her on the horse, and I don't think I'd let her ride alone without a lead for a while. The horse seems to be getting worse at training instead of better? The lady has talked about how she had a trainer come before, I'm thinking she needs to get one back again. I know money is tight for them, but I think it's needed!

I don't think LB is giving off "I'm scared" vibes, but maybe she is? Would that cause it? It seems like since the riding incident that it's gotten worse. Are we somehow reinforcing bad behavior? I am going to look up YouTube videos and see if anyone has any information for me, but since you are around horses, I was thinking to ask you too. I am keeping LB closer to me for sure, and I have a riding helmet for her, I might keep it on her even when she is ground training!! Now I will be giving off those scared vibes I guess!!

Ebianco: I have decided I like Cathe's weight training, but not her cardio. She is way more advanced than I am! I just can't see myself reaching for them. I need to pare down my Cathe collection for sure. I am certainly envious of her body though! That woman is compact and muscular! I love it.

Our chick fil a is really popular too around peak times. I always wonder if they put some crack in the chicken or something. it doesn't make sense. their food is good, but not so good that I will wait in a long line for it. We will go on off hours when we can just drive through, but if there's a long line we will just go to good times or something. I like their chicken better than nuggets at Wendy's or Burger King or whatever, but they aren't so great that I am willing to go too far out of my way!! Starbucks used to be super long lines too, but now they are closing Starbucks around us and the lines are gone. There used to be 2 or 3 on a block sometimes! Now they are fewer and further between. I bet that happens to chick fil a too. Eventually people will find somewhere else and they won't be the only chicken nugget game in town anymore.

So now that I've watched STS, I am going to go look through the worksheets and see if they are something I want to do. Mix it in with my body beast. She doesn't do just one muscle group like BB does for the bulk workouts, however it still looks like a good workout. I probably won't do them with her on video, because I don't like having to lift at their pace, but I will do them off paper and watch another workout! I am really finding watching other workouts are motivating!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 10-16-20, 02:12 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA hip 2.5 - day 7 + tamilee's cardio blast.

buzzer - honestly I don't work horses with flags so I don't know what exactly the person is trying to do. superficially it seems like a horse that has figured out how to get away with disobedience and is doing that - it seems like when the horse is asked to work, has figured out how to get out of work. I'm not there so I can't say exactly what is going on! In no way can you blame any vibes that anyone is giving off - don't go there - at all! I think this person needs to get professional help if the horse is not progressing, especially if going backwards in training. And I would not trust a youtube video - sorry there are decent ones and some really crappy one. The good trainers doing video training in my sport are associated with pay sites.