Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-20, 06:42 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Kettlebell Swings - Total Body?

I've been on a kick lately of doing kettlebell swings, which seems to work most of my body. Based solely on which of my muscles are or aren't sore the next day, I'm thinking I would need to supplement kettlebell swings with chest and tricep work. Has anyone incorporated kettlebell swings as a regular part of your workout and if so, what muscle groups did you feel like you were neglecting?

TIA.
Old 10-10-20, 09:16 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

I know that Tracy Reifkind (who wrote the book The Swing) has said that she supplemented swings with yoga. I think everything would be covered between the two. I personally like supplementing with pilates, though I haven't done swings in a while.

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-20, 12:26 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

I personally find swings to be mostly cardio with an emphasis on core, back and hamstrings. You could add get-ups for your chest and shoulders (among other things they’re a total body move too) or cleans to press or snatches for additional upper body work. That move that Anthony DiLugio used in Newport or Providence where he curls the bell up and then raises it up and behind his head and does a tricep press would work those nicely.

You could easily work a flow of swings to clean and press or swings to snatches and then do get-ups and finish off with bis and tris work. Add in a few renegade rows and push-ups would hit everything. Back would be a little weak with just swings.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-20, 01:18 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale K. View Post
I know that Tracy Reifkind (who wrote the book The Swing) has said that she supplemented swings with yoga. I think everything would be covered between the two. I personally like supplementing with pilates, though I haven't done swings in a while.
I was going to mention Tracy also. Swings, walking, and yoga. I think she did hot yoga (Bikram) but I'm not positive if that was the only yoga she did.
Old 10-10-20, 02:05 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

Tracy has definitely added snatches into her workouts. Check out her YouTube channel if you don’t believe me.
Old 10-10-20, 04:17 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjayd View Post
Tracy has definitely added snatches into her workouts. Check out her YouTube channel if you don’t believe me.
I believe you. She taught me snatches -- so it's not like she never did them, but she preached that swings were enough.
Old 10-10-20, 04:35 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

Maybe she has added in a few moves because of what you’re asking about, not developing an imbalance in muscle development. I know she was big on swings. Maybe she focused on those for her book because it’s simple even though it’s not completely balanced. It could certainly start a person on a weight loss or other fitness journey but to advance it more moves are needed. I know she’s been working on snatches herself for several years.

Other instructors consider get-ups the perfect exercise. I don’t think one move can cover everything but it really doesn’t take a lot of moves to be balanced. I know Dasha Anderson is big on balancing push moves with pull moves. Steve Cotter has a whole set on push/pull. I recently completed Lauren Brooks BESLAM 2 and I gained a lot of upper body strength. She does use swings but mostly as a cardio interval. She definitely likes the get-ups, clean and press and squats.
Old 10-12-20, 07:42 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

This is all great info. Paring with yoga does make sense, though when I get to choose, I seem to always choose restorative yoga. (I live about 60 miles from the closest yoga studio). I'll have to dust off some of my power yoga dvds.

I like the idea of adding in snatches. I can promise you get-ups will never be a voluntary part of my routine!!