Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-07-20, 10:15 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

monday - day 10 TA 2.4 + 15 min karen voight cardio
tuesday - fp dancey moves + floor barre
today - essentrics shoulder stretch and 30 min release.

buzzer - so sorry about the garage, I'd be equally frustrated and crying to I'm sure. It does seem like a lot to work 2 jobs and have full time classes + build a garage? I'd be worried about putting not just a beginner rider but a total beginner on a horse that is just getting started under saddle. That's really not normal at all. Keeping her on the ground makes sense.

hi ebianco! hope things are easing up.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 03:54 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all,

I finished my workout last week with some youtube zumba and Pure Barre Results Arms, for a total of 75 minutes.

Mon-Tues were planned rest days.

Today I did Fitprime Pump again but I was running really short on time so only did about 40 minutes of it. It was still great though!

Tomorrow another Cathe but not sure which one yet.

Eventmom I hope you enjoy your Valerie Walters DVD purchase!

Buzzer I am so sorry about your frustration and "hurry up and wait" feeling about your garage and house!! It seems like you've been in a holding pattern for a really long time!! I would become just as frustrated as you. And it takes me forever to get over a crick in my neck anymore, like 3-4 days instead of just one day. Perks about getting older I guess.

My DH's thing is also in a holding pattern, we will find out pretty much any day now, presumably no later than next Tuesday...so still on pins and needles about that. And I expect my work stress to continue through the end of October at least, but should hopefully get much better after that. I am certainly trying to relax though. My DH, sister, niece, and I went on a day trip to a more rural area and did a 1.5 hour trail ride on some horses (made me think of you eventmom ) and it was very pleasant. I haven't been on so much as a vacation over the past 1-2 years so just a day trip was really cool!

I don't think I would trust my creaky fluidity barre as elevation during pushups, but I do use the fanny lifter a lot for that purpose! I agree with you about the range of motion on weight machines, and I think free weights work on your muscle imbalances better. I think your weight machine could be used for the cathe fit tower workouts for sure.

You sound like you have great genes for heavy lifting! For KBs I remember using the lighter 10-15# for snatches and stuff that the 20# was just too heavy for. I just loved the zen out music of RKS. The next time I decide to shake up my routine I want to add in a kettlebell day I think.

I am wondering if my surprise weight loss of 2-3 pounds was just exercise bloat that had been on me for so long that I finally whooshed? That would be an explanation for why it literally came off over night. Except when I put it on in the first place, maybe I attributed it to pandemic eating all the time weight gain? LOL. I seem to be holding strong at a 2-3 pound loss and am thrilled about it!

The Turbo Jams are all fun but especially that Fat Blaster "HIIT" workout!

What is WOHL again?
Old 10-08-20, 10:12 AM  
Buzzer

P90X Yoga... DONE!
P90X Yoga... DONE!

HAHA! I have done this yoga 3 times in a row now, in as many days. I am just loving it right now. I know my hips and hamstrings are tight, and that totally stretches them. It is really feeling good! I am using the yoga blocks on most of it, so I am not sweating and making noises and shaking as much, instead I am relaxing into it more, "constantly redefining the posture" as Rodney Yee says, and really feeling it. I'm not trying to do everything perfect, I am doing the warrior 3, half moon, and standing split series with my arms and/or head on my weight bench. Plus, I skip the "yoga belly 7" and instead when he does holding his legs out to the side and holding it, I do a spine twist stretch. When he does a one leg up, the other barely off the ground and hold it... I do a hammy stretch. Most of the yoga belly I skip though. I also Fast Forward through the frog and the one balance where he's on his hands for like a minute and a half. So overall, it's still a long workout, but not 90 minutes long!

I used to skip the final laying on the floor corpse pose, but now I do it and find I really enjoy it.

So three days in a row, and each day has seriously been a different workout. Day 1 I felt all bound up, day 2 I felt a little looser, today I feel a little looser even. I feel each stretch different though each day!

I know the workout well enough also that I can do it with my eyes closed and just listen. I like that. I can do that with classic firms too, and I like it!

Yesterday we went and looked at costumes at once upon a child. They had seriously crappy costumes. Plus the dressing rooms are closed, so I just had LB try the costumes on over her clothes. The best costume we could find was a police man, so we got LB that. I don't know if that's what she's gonna have to wear for Halloween, but at least we got something just in case. All the costumes were like nondescript dresses of obscure characters, or those fabric stretchy body covering types of nondescript characters. No dinosaurs, tigers, cheetahs... I only saw even one Elsa dress!! Usually there's 100.

Today we do horse training, school and violin. party party!

Eventmom: the horse has been ridden and is good with a saddle, just the lady has had some health problems and hasn't ridden her since the spring. I don't think she rode real consistent before then either. She said the horse does the little bucking motion before she starts to run, and LB was trying to get the horse to go faster so maybe the horse was trying to go from a walk to a run. The lady says she doesn't know how to break the horse from doing that before she runs though. I don't know either, but we have been reading up on training and will figure something out! In the meantime, I told LB to keep the horse at a happy camp trail ride pace and be happy.

Ebianco: WOHL is the "week of hard labor" by Tony. It's just on beach body on demand, and I don't have that and don't want it! However they did some worksheets for it, so I am going to go off those. As soon as I'm done doing however many days in a row I am going to do P90X yoga! HAHA!

I'm glad you got a day trip. That hopefully helped and gave you a good day of no worries.

I remember hearing that the Cathes are like the Firms, and that's why I got some. I liked them for different reasons, but never thought they were like the Firm! I like her weight lifting ones, but some of her step workouts were so completely complicated I could never figure them out. I remember one that was like a greatest hits or something like that, it was a super long step workout and had like 3 or 4 workouts on the DVD. I got it, was so excited... then I almost broke my ankle, barely got a workout because I was looking at her like "whaaaa?" constantly, and just put the workout in my "get rid of" pile. I am only a fan of Cathe weight lifting workouts! Nothing like Firms though.

I am still feeling my neck. Not as much of a pain, each day gets better, but I am the same, I used to get over it in a day or two, now I'm working on like, day 4 or 5 and it's still there! Driving me nuts. I tried to work it out with the yoga, and I think I'm hoping that whatever is out of alignment will pop back into place. Doesn't work like that though, I guess.

So nothing done more with the garage. Still holding pattern. surprise. I just kinda wish we hadn't even gotten started, instead waited until this summer so we would at least have our year back. There was a foundation that was built and sat just as a foundation in the next town over, and it sat for years. I keep flashing to that whenever I look at the garage. If we run out of time, do we just have to let it sit like a foundation for years?
I still don't understand why we can't rough in the plumbing and electrical, just enough, pour the concrete for the floor and walls, then the drainage and rest of the plumbing and electrical and sealing of the foundation later. I guess I don't understand construction, but I am feeling like we are putting the cart before the horse and we are gonna regret it.

Anyhow, my saga. I should write a book. no-one would read it though!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-20, 03:36 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all,

Today I was also rushed for time, but squeezed in the main workout of Cathe's Strong and Sweaty Boot Camp workout. I wish I would have had time to add on the abs, but as it was I did the main workout and I really liked this one!! There were six circuits with a cardio/lower/combo/upper exercise per circuit, then on to to the next. It really kept my heart rate high and the exercises were fun and varied.

Tomorrow cardio and yoga and maybe some abs since I didn't really get to do much of them yesterday or today. Then a long strength Firm on Saturday and Pure Barre on Sunday.

Buzzer Oh I have never heard of Tony's WOHL series! There looks to be some good beach body on demand series, they definitely provide a lot of content. But like you I don't have it nor do I want i!

I have to agree with you that Cathe's are definitely NOT like Firms at all. Even if some of them are total body cardio/strength the feel is incredibly different. Cathe is down to business and everything is very athletic. I have never even attempted her step workouts, that would be a huge disaster for me. I don't think I could handle even her basic cardio. But her athletic style weights, especially her metabolic type workouts, and drill based cardio has been really good! And she does have really high production values and pretty legit music on most of her workout sets! Not exactly Firm caliber with the tune exactly to the exercise, but still really good. I'm glad I invested in a lot of her workouts. I went from about 2 DVDs to like 20, LOL.

I'm glad your neck is feeling improved at least. Hopefully just another day or two!

I'm really sorry about your frustrations over the garage. I don't understand why it can't be built in phases either, and I really hope it doesn't end up just sitting for years! Your book comment made me laugh. I keep a journal (I have for the last 20+ years) and it does help to write things down at the end of the day, or anytime of day if I am really stressed, just to get them out of my head if that makes sense. That seems to take the edge off.

Eventmom waves!
Old 10-08-20, 03:51 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA hip level 2.5 day 1 + meta dc.

so this level only takes TA 21 minutes, more like 30 for me. There are so many plank moves which are hard for me with the different past bone breaks (scapula & acromion) I don't have tons of ub strength but I'll just do what I can.

ebianco - I'm curious about the valerie walters -I'd never have paid her retail price for but $20 worth a try. Do you have sliders for the Body By Simone workouts? Trying to decide if I just just use paper plates (LOL).

buzzer - glad you are keeping an eye on LB, can the owner lunge the horse for many minutes before she puts LB on the back? I wonder about the 'buck' probably not a real buck but I've seen in when horses had a sore SI joint or other type of thing happening. I'm with you on not understanding construction - thank goodness my DH admits he doesn't either.
Old 10-09-20, 02:30 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy Friday!

Today the weather was so beautiful, I decided to go out for a brief run (and I got my best time yet!) and then 10MS Pilates Tighten and Tone the ab workout, since I missed out on my ab workout yesterday, and then Jessica Smith's Total Stretch DVD the Deep Stretch workout, for an overall 65 minute workout.

Eventmom I have one of those Obsidian slide boards that I picked up a few years ago when they were on clearance. I really like it for gliding! I'm sure paper plates would work fine on carpet!

Buzzer waves!
Old 10-09-20, 03:22 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA hip 2.5 day 2 + kathy smith project you

so it's been a long week - teaching in person + providing the class electronically is wearing me out. Also, a colleague died (he had just retired but was helping with our field project class). It was unexpected - he fell ill and his artificial hip seemed to be causing an infection and he died when they operated to replace the hip. anyway - sorry to be a bummer I just am so over 2020. not sleeping well. everything seems so awful.

ebianco - thanks, I may just buy the cheap moving sliders on amazon LOL if the paperplates are too awkward.

hi buzzer!
Old 10-09-20, 05:44 PM  
Buzzer

P90X Yoga... DONE! Again.

Day 4 of p90x yoga! I felt it different today again. I was able to go deeper in to the poses, and hold things more. I have figured out the best configuration for my yoga blocks. I am really enjoying it! I do need to work on my ab strength though. I debated doing the yoga belly 7, but for times sake I still skipped it.

I don't know if I will go for day 5, but I have really enjoyed doing this yoga for a few days. I don't feel nearly as bound up or as stiff. My knee, with my revised leg work and this yoga, is feeling almost completely better. that lets me know that the body beast legs is not for me, and I need to keep revising it. Something in that workout was destroying my knee.

Today I had to drop my car off and pick up the loaner. Then LB and I trained the horse. We actually just groomed, pet, and hung out with the horse she's training and another horse in the arena. I think we all felt kinda blah so it was a nice, chill time. We enjoyed hanging out, LB groomed both horses and did a little ground work with each one, and it was nice.

We did school, and now we are just hanging out in the camper. She needs a bath since she has horse snot on her arm and dirt on every other part of her, and her hair looks like she just got in from a tornado. I don't think we will get my car back tonight, so maybe we will go for a joy ride in the loaner car later.

Eventmom: So would lunging the horse be running the horse around the arena (alone, without a rider) first? Occasionally she does that, but if that's what it is, I'll see if she can do it every time before LB rides. Funny that you said the bucking could be from a sore SI joint or something, because the horses hooves are getting a little overgrown (where they are starting to look a little saucer-y) and chipped last week, so the farrier is coming out next week to deal with the hooves. The lady was saying she thinks that's why the horse is tripping occasionally, and that perhaps her feet are hurting her. So I wonder if that's why the buck too? Interesting. I will have to look more into that! Thank you for your knowledge, I don't have a whole lot so it's nice when I get some input from you. It leads me down paths I didn't know about!

Sorry about your co-worker. That's so sad! I hate hearing about people who just retired then pass away. I always feel so bad because you work work work and save for retirement so you can do things you enjoy, then you retire and can't do what you saved and planned for all your life. I'm sorry, that stinks I'm ready for 2020 to be over. It's just been a crappy year.

Oh, speaking of which, the Indian Hills Community Sign which I attached the Facebook link to... the guy who does it is a friend of ours. I was talking to him and he was saying he wanted to use the word "turdle" in his sign, as part of a 2020 mascot, but couldn't figure out how to do it and fit it on the board. We worked on it together, and he used the sign we came up with! He had it up earlier in the week, so go look at the Facebook page and you will see my cooperative handy work! HA! In my job I don't get many "15 minutes of fame" moments, so I will take this one. I was a 15 minutes of fame contributor.

Ebianco: Obsidian boards were on CLEARANCE? Why didn't I know that? I wanted one of those so bad! I watched them, mostly to do that barre workout that I don't think ever materialized that used the board in a barre workout. I never got one, and have since stopped watching. I had no idea they went on clearance though! I totally would have gotten it so it could sit in my workout room and take up space, and I would never use it!!!!!

So from about ages 12-20 something, I kept a diary also. I wrote in it every night to organize my thoughts and recap the day, usually sorting out problems of the day, writing down things I didn't want to forget, and just using it also so I could reference it if I needed to remember something. I stopped when I was maybe 23? I don't remember why I did. I wish I hadn't. I do have workouts from around that time that I reference back to occasionally, and I would write how I was feeling that day and something significant that went on if I thought it had affected my workout.

I loved my diary! I should probably do that again. It sure did help me.

We bought a tray of 60 something chicken nuggets from chick fil a last night, so I feel like I'm on vacation. Dinner is taken care of!! Whoo hoo!!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 10-10-20, 09:43 AM  
Buzzer

AWOHL Chest and Back... DONE!

Ow. I started out heavy, chest presses and pullovers. I went heavy. It felt good. It knocked me down for the rest of my workout.
It was all good though! I took rests, I really felt the reps, I went slow while I previewed KCM (?) split sets. I turned on the full body workout and had that in the background, so I lifted to her music timing. I did the warm up with her too. I had to drop down on lots of the sets, but really tried to go 100%. I felt it so much in my chest and back!! I had debated doing another day of Yoga, but decided to lift... perhaps tomorrow I will have to do another day of yoga because I will be so sore!

I haven't felt my back work like that in a looooooong time. My arms were even tired! One set I had to stop because my left bicep was so tired. I pushed through, had to talk myself into a lot of the sets. I ended up doing the wide pushups on the bench, and even that was hard. The first set was supposed to be 20 reps, I was lucky to get 15 and that was after I stuck my hips in the air higher for the last few reps.

My planned weights and my actual weights ended up being quite different after the first few sets. HA!

So I guess I am saying I really, really liked the workout, and really, really hated it. It was hard labor for sure!

The next is legs, and I will probably do a mix of the written legs and my own. I want to make sure I keep my knee feeling good.

DH has a head cold, and so it's been good LB and I are sleeping in the camper. Keeps us away so we don't catch it! He's doing better now though. Of course, you can't be regular sick anymore. It's kinda sad how we now have a panic feeling whenever someone gets even just a head cold.

Today is another nice day, I'm not sure what we are going to do. I'm sure getting my car is on the list, we dropped it off yesterday and have a loaner. As nice as the 2020 cars are, I like my car better! There's a feature where when you stop, the car shuts off. That panics me. I have had cars that shut off when you idle, and it's not as "feature", it's a panic. So every time I stop, I panic because the car dies. It comes on when you get going again, but I have been conditioned by broken cars to panic and I don't like it!

The car only has 350 miles on it, so I know it'll start again. However, I can't handle that "feature"!! I will be happy to have my car back that stays on at stop lights!

Yesterday was a big school day, and a big do nothing day. I am always pushing LB to do something, and yesterday we just both took off and stared at screens, played games and did nothing. We lived in the camper yesterday and let sick DH have the house. I think he appreciated it. we did too.

Ebianco: I was thinking of you because my neck still has a little twinge. It's so annoying. I almost didn't lift in case I made it worse again, but doggone it, it's been like 5 or 6 days, I need to just get over it. Maybe it's permanent at this point. I'm tired of it though!

Hi Eventmom!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 10-10-20, 02:41 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA hip 2.5 day 3 + TA popstar

after I rode- I did my new lastic lite stretch. It's a good stretch but somehow when I researched it I didn't realize I was paying $10 for one 15 minute stretch....

buzzer- lunging is when they work in a circle around you on a long rope (lunge line), if they are in a small circular ring you can work them without the lunge line, most people call it 'round penning' but yes, basically that. Long hooves don't usually give a horse pain but it can cause them to trip a bit more things like that. thanks on my co-worker, but honestly he loved being a faculty member, he worked at OU for 50 years! and was going to help mentor teams in our field project class this fall. I know they had plenty of money for retirement quite a few years ago so I think he was working totally by choice, Also, as faculty he and his wife could take time in the summer to travel and visit their kids and grandkids. So that isn't why I'm taking it hard more just that wow, so sudden! I cannot imagine what his family is going through - his wife lost her mom just a few months ago. glad you and LB can get some space by heading out to the camper! sorry dh is sick.

hi ebianco!