Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-20, 06:13 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Can you explain tags?

I don't understand tags, what they are for, and how to use them for whatever the benefit is supposed to be. Can someone give me some guidance?
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 06:27 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

a tag allows you to see all the threads related to a subject.

go to Search/Tags Search

you'll see recent tags in a section called the Tag Cloud - click on any of them, and all the threads that were tagged with (Leslie for example) that tag will show up as a list.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 06:44 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I tagged the bottom of this thread with "forum tip", "tag search", "tagging feature" and "tagging threads". As far as I know, any member can add up to 5 tags to a particular thread. Tags can't be too wordy though and I believe have to be a minimum of 3 letters.

I do my best to tag as many threads that pop up that I can (that aren't check-in threads). Sometimes I even go back and tag older threads too that were from pre-tagging days.

When you start typing into the tag field at the bottom of a thread or when doing a tag search, it will bring up tags already in use that begin with those letters. I try to tag things with words and phrases that are already in use as much as possible. Obviously though when a new series comes out like Cathe's Perfect30, there was no tag for it so I tagged it with as many variations as I could: perfect30, perfect 30, cathe perfect30, and of course, just plain "cathe".

Most tags are really helpful (for me at least). Let's say you're reading a really interesting thread about sports bras or aging or a motivating story. You can click the sports bra tag (or the aging tag or the motivational tag) at the bottom of the thread and it will bring up all the past threads that have been tagged with "sports bra" or "aging" or "motivational" or you can do a "Tag search" from the search dropdown menu at the top of the screen.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 07:00 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

I had seen the tag cloud on other sites and that intuitively made sense, but I didn’t understand how it worked on VF and how it could help. Thank you so much!
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 10:06 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Any registered member can tag a thread they started, but only VF Supporters or Moderators can tag threads started by someone else. There's a stickied post from WWWendy on that.

I don't use tag searches frequently but do find them very useful when I do use them. I'll tag threads when it seems like valuable information has been posted to them.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum tip, tag search, tagging feature, tagging threads