Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-20, 03:57 PM  
alisoncooks

Very slow and controlled...?

Looking for workouts that are super slow and controlled. Strength, balance, standing core...but all done at a very deliberate pace?

Are there workouts like that? I remember that V-Core workout, but that instructor was a little annoying. Maybe a standing Pilates would fit the bill?

A couple of the workouts on Jessica Smith's "Build Balance + Inner Strength" are the types of moves I want, but Jessica tends to go a bit faster than I like and twists a bunch at a quick pace. She likes a quick tempo side step with flailing arms (at least, my arms feel they're flailing.)

I want ssslllooowww.

Is there anything? I'm not opposed to yoga but I generally dislike yoga for strength and sun salutations.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 05:52 PM  
laurajhawk

I like the pace of the lifting on James Crossley's "Get Fit at 40+". It fits your description, slow and controlled. I don't do the core segment of that DVD as often and don't remember what it is like.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 06:08 PM  
BunnyHop

Callanetics older workouts frequently mention moving in triple slow motion.

For what it's worth, it's a lot tougher than it looks.
Old 04-21-20, 10:45 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I agree with Get Fit at 40+. And if you do Jessica Smith or other Youtube videos, you can slow them down (or speed them up) to your liking by clicking on the gear icon and selecting playback speed.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 11:42 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I just ordered a copy of Kathy Smith's Super Slimdown Circuit DVD, one of her compilation DVDs of older workouts. I bought it for the Functional Fitness circuit workout, which I would not describe as anywhere near slow and controlled. But I'm also looking forward to revisiting Secrets to a Great Upper Body and Lower Body. I remember those as very slow with the addition of a pause between moves including a clip of proper form for the next one. The set is a nice big room, dark wood floors, white walls, voluminous sheer curtains, very light in an older building. The outfits are all black and grey, though there are some bicycle shorts involved. Various levels shown on 4 backgrounders. There is a newer release with a different cover, but it appears to be scarce and more expensive. Same compilation.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 01:52 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Leslie's Short Cuts Upper Body and Lower Body weights workout is slow enough. it's not super slow, as what was suggested in the 2 books below, but enough that you can use proper form and still get the benefits.
  • Slow Burn Fitness Revolution by Fredrick Hahn, Mary Dan Eades (2002)
  • Power of 10: The Once-A-Week Slow Motion Fitness Revolution by Adam Zickerman, Bill Schley (2010)

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 09:49 AM  
laurawd

Cathe's Slow and Heavy fits the bill.
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 05:17 PM  
wendug

Jari Love- Get Ripped and Jacked. Slow and controlled weight work that is very different than her fast paced workouts. She doesn't lead the workout, but the instructor is very good.
Old 04-22-20, 05:24 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

How about Get Ripped & Jacked? All exercises are 2 rounds, with each round consisting of sets done for counts of 8-8 (x2), 2-6/6-2 (x2), and 4-4 (x4).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 05:31 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

CLX is slow and controlled.

also, Jari's original Get Ripped is not really slow, but she goes at a normal speed and it's relatively "low rep" compared to her subsequent workouts.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balance, power of 10, slow and heavy, slow burn, slow weights, standing abs, v-core