Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-19, 06:07 PM  
sugar rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
One really sweet moment happened over the weekend when I asked the manager of one of my favorite stores whether the store still accepts checks and explained why I was asking. He said no but offered to let me charge whatever I wanted to his personal card because he knew I'd pay him back. Did big old tears well up in my eyes? Oh, yes, they did!
Omigosh, that's amazing! Do you live in a small town?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-19, 07:02 PM  
Gams

Thank you all for your kind words about Malcolm. I have lost 4 dogs in the past 9 months. Dudley had oral cancer, Topper was being treated for a UTI and collapsed and Clarence’s kidneys failed. Malcolm had had trouble with IBS in the past and I was expecting the vet to stabilize him and send him home. I had Dr. Bob do a necropsy and he said Malcolm’s intestines were full of cancer. My pets are all seniors, so I knew something like this could happen. Malcolm was the baby at 9. I still have 2 at home that are over 14. Gosh - I miss them so much.

Yesterday I was almost rear ended by a semi. I have no idea how I didn’t get hit. I wasn’t as frightened as I should have been. Maybe there’s been so much death lately that it didn’t seem as frightening or maybe Clarence was watching over me - I named him Clarence Oddbody after the angel in It’s a Wonderful Life.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-19, 07:28 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Thank you all for your kind words about Malcolm. I have lost 4 dogs in the past 9 months. Dudley had oral cancer, Topper was being treated for a UTI and collapsed and Clarence’s kidneys failed. Malcolm had had trouble with IBS in the past and I was expecting the vet to stabilize him and send him home. I had Dr. Bob do a necropsy and he said Malcolm’s intestines were full of cancer. My pets are all seniors, so I knew something like this could happen. Malcolm was the baby at 9. I still have 2 at home that are over 14. Gosh - I miss them so much.

Yesterday I was almost rear ended by a semi. I have no idea how I didn’t get hit. I wasn’t as frightened as I should have been. Maybe there’s been so much death lately that it didn’t seem as frightening or maybe Clarence was watching over me - I named him Clarence Oddbody after the angel in It’s a Wonderful Life.
So sorry Gams. It’s heartbreaking to lose one I can’t imagine losing four in such a short time. May God Bless the 14-year olds.

I’ve always loved senior dogs and when I retire I plan on adopting a senior or two.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-19, 08:28 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar rose View Post
Omigosh, that's amazing! Do you live in a small town?
No, the manager is just an incredibly kind person.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 02:12 AM  
Sand

I'm so sorry for your loss Gams! I know that because of the unconditional love of all my pets, all my subsequent animals benefit from the love of the others.

I strongly suggest the updates on your accounts. You can even set a limit on purchases so that they have to contact you when a purchase exceeds that limit.

I had my identity stolen over a decade ago and since then it's been a nightmare! I had to initially request all my credit reports and prove which were my accounts and which ones weren't mine.

Creditors are still after the person who stole my identity, I know this because they have not only contacted me, but also my sister. I think because she stole my identity, her Spokeo information must have my sister's phone number as being related to her.

The alerts are really great to have. When I was on a trip to NYC, they texted me after several purchases there to make sure that I was indeed in NYC. Then I had to call in and verify my identity.

The same thing has happened when I've made high priced purchases.
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 09:27 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I'm so sorry to hear about Malcolm.

On the credit cards, I've come to think having numbers stolen/misused is standard these days. I've learned to check the statements of ALL my cards at least once a month, even the ones I use infrequently. I got fooled earlier this year when someone got my Macys card number and in two days ran up charges that exceeded my credit limit on the card. I was lazy and ignored that month's emailed statement, since I knew I hadn't used the card for several months and the balance should be $0. The next month's statement came with a subject line about "PAST DUE balance" and that was my first sign that something was off. After a couple of calls and confusion, all the charges were reversed and I closed the account.

Moral of story: check ALL card balances regularly.
Old 12-05-19, 11:02 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
One really sweet moment happened over the weekend when I asked the manager of one of my favorite stores whether the store still accepts checks and explained why I was asking. He said no but offered to let me charge whatever I wanted to his personal card because he knew I'd pay him back. Did big old tears well up in my eyes? Oh, yes, they did!
That's lovely! So nice to know there are people out there who will go the extra mile to help someone in a jam.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 11:10 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Yikes! You are certainly overdue for some calm and stability!

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote