Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-19, 10:43 AM  
sugar rose

I'm sorry this happened to you! But I'm glad your toe is getting better. Please let us know the manager's response.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-19, 10:12 PM  
bfit

Here's my update . . . I got a long, detailed e-mail back from the manager of the studio less than 24 hours after I wrote to her. She said that they try to "adjust" people only with their permission or if they know that person and know what that person is capable of doing. She said she would talk to the instructor to figure out what happened, and she agreed to meet with me for a 20 minute one on one session to talk about appropriate modifications. The one disappointing thing was that according to her you can't do the same exercises flat footed because it does not protect the knees so if I'm going to modify I'll have to do completely different exercises than everyone else. She also said that I could wear shoes with my orthotics in them for any standing work as long as they were clean shoes that I wear for the class only. I'm not sure that will help me much with the raised toes problem though. Thanks for everyone's input!
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 07:48 AM  
topfitmama

Hi bfit,
I'm glad the manager got back to you and did so quickly!
I guess you need to decide whether you're comfortable with being adjusted manually or not. I'd rather have someone walk up to me and tell me what to do verbally than to have that person manually change my position without warning or asking me, but that's me.
I'm glad they've offered you a one-on-one session. I hope it goes well!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 08:52 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
Here's my update . . . I got a long, detailed e-mail back from the manager of the studio less than 24 hours after I wrote to her. She said that they try to "adjust" people only with their permission or if they know that person and know what that person is capable of doing. She said she would talk to the instructor to figure out what happened, and she agreed to meet with me for a 20 minute one on one session to talk about appropriate modifications. The one disappointing thing was that according to her you can't do the same exercises flat footed because it does not protect the knees so if I'm going to modify I'll have to do completely different exercises than everyone else. She also said that I could wear shoes with my orthotics in them for any standing work as long as they were clean shoes that I wear for the class only. I'm not sure that will help me much with the raised toes problem though. Thanks for everyone's input!
I'm glad to hear they responded promptly and are going to work with you on modifications--that was my experience at TBM as well. I am curious about which exercises would not be protective in a low-heel or flat-footed position... but hey, if they can give you other exercises to do that work the same muscle groups, great! At my local, lots of people did different stuff from everyone else (including me sometimes.)

Personally, I find the physical adjustments extremely helpful. Sometimes I think I'm in the right position based on the verbal cues, but a look in the mirror or just a slight touch from the instructor indicates that I am not quite there yet. Bar Method is extremely precise, too, so those adjustments are what makes attending a live class so useful.

Hopefully once you're fully on the mend you can resume your classes safely. And maybe avoid that instructor for a while until you're confident she gets the message.

I've taken a handful of classes over the years at a few studios (Bar Method, Physique 57 and exhale) that had TWO instructors--one teaching the class and the other going around offering adjustments. That is ideal. The adjuster has more time to help everyone while the instructor can just focus on teaching and verbal cueing. Of course, that is not feasible in most cases, but it's great when it works out.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 11:02 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
My concern isn’t that she was touched, but that the instructor basically forced her to assume a position that she didn’t want to be in - a position that injured her. I guess “touching” didn’t even occur to me.
This was my concern too. I don't have a problem with an instructor "touching" me to help guide me into a better position but what this instructor did seemed overly aggressive.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 03:27 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
bfit, Have you ever done Classical Stretch/Essentrics? That has helped me SO MUCH with problems I never knew I had. One of the effects is that I can stand much higher on my toes than I used to. Mind you, I wasn't even trying for that. I'm wondering if CS might help you, too. I think you could probably do it in addition to your current classes if you want to keep going. It works really fast. I've been doing mostly 22-minute workouts from the DVDs 3 or 4 times a week, and I am so totally amazed at what it's done for me.
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 06:54 AM  
Tugger31

This is not something you could do in a live class, but I modify at home when doing barre because it makes my toe joint throb. I have tried doing the exercises with flat feet and some just bother my knees and/or I don't feel the burn in my quads as I think I should. I rest my heels on a 3 lb dumbbell. I feel the burn where I feel I should but it takes all the pressure off my toes.

With regard to Classical Stretch in the above post. Which season is a good place to start, something with good variety. A cardio burn wouldn't hurt either. I can't stream anything at home so I'd be looking into purchasing on dvd or putting it on my Xmas list for someone else to purchase
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 07:30 AM  
shoegoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I think you should talk to the instructor, tell her you need to modify - and to stay away from you. I think the manager should also know about this harmful instructor. Even though you probably signed a waiver, the club is still responsible for your safety. You didn’t injure yourself she injured you.
That!

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 11:50 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Definitely have this on file. I go to Pure Barre and made it plain right from the start that I had advanced osteoarthritis in my right knee and I would be modifying at will. (My knee doesn't straighten or bend fully and I can't sit on my heels; but my high arches made a high releve' very easy.) But when I'm doing the final relaxing stretches I found that I was very annoyed when someone would sneak up behind me and press on my back. Now they know not to touch me when I'm stretching.

I'm not an instructor, but I've done barre DVDs, almost all flavors, for years. And I beg to differ with the OP's manager's assertion about flat feet. Barre3 DVDs and my live Pure Barre classes have a continuing reminder that "this is YOUR workout."
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 08:05 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
Definitely have this on file. I go to Pure Barre and made it plain right from the start that I had advanced osteoarthritis in my right knee and I would be modifying at will. (My knee doesn't straighten or bend fully and I can't sit on my heels; but my high arches made a high releve' very easy.) But when I'm doing the final relaxing stretches I found that I was very annoyed when someone would sneak up behind me and press on my back. Now they know not to touch me when I'm stretching.

I'm not an instructor, but I've done barre DVDs, almost all flavors, for years. And I beg to differ with the OP's manager's assertion about flat feet. Barre3 DVDs and my live Pure Barre classes have a continuing reminder that "this is YOUR workout."
I totally agree! I teach Essentrics and occasionally Essentrics barre. I've taught other classes also...and in all the trainings I've attended physical adjustments are discouraged. Exercise should help, not hurt and for sure it's the participants workout.

I have trouble with the high heel move and will put my feet down.

Personally, I'd leave that studio. It just doesn't sound like a fit for you...not impressed with the manager's response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Which season is a good place to start, something with good variety. A cardio burn wouldn't hurt either. I can't stream anything at home so I'd be looking into purchasing on dvd or putting it on my Xmas list for someone else to purchase
Does your local PBS carry Classical Stretch that you could record? Or does your library carry any of the dvds?

Otherwise, Season 11 is a great place to start. You might enjoy the Body Sculpting System 2, also.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bar method