Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-18-20, 05:04 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi guys!

Catching up from last week:

Wed: Firm Body Sculpt Blaster, this is a BSS series Firm. I don't pull out too many of these, a lot of step aerobics and less knee friendly exercises, but I modified it and made it work, I've always enjoyed this workout with Nancy. It is about 35 minutes and all strengthening. It is pretty much all combination exercises but was able to modify.

Thurs: Pure Barre Resistance #3 because I remembered it was the easiest of the set, and I was low on energy. I still think it's the easiest but I made it harder by using the loop for the pretzel series and ankle weights for everything.

Yesterday: I have been so overwhelmed with work and feeling down, that I took an unplanned rest day.

Today: Barlates Triple Burn (now that I know I have the DVD ) I did the Barre workout. It was 45 minutes and went though legs at the barre, seat kneeling but because of my knees I did it standing at the barre, upper body with a tough chest and rear delt sets, and then finally abs. The lower body and abs was comprehensive and I felt burnout in all the sets, but I'll have to do multiple Triple Burn workouts I think to hit different arm muscle groups. At any rate I really enjoyed it!

Tomorrow, another Tripe Burn! These are perfect for me right now. Not too long in the 35-45 minute range and I work out to my own fun music. I will find one that works different muscle groups than today. There are eight workouts in the set so I'm sure I can find something promising!

I've been in a funk lately, I have been eating a lot of junk food thanks to the pandemic and my husband having it around all the time Gained about 2-3 pounds since being in quarantine these past two months or so and feeling down. I discovered an interesting "treatment" for my knee, what is called an Osmo Patch and you wear it at night, and it uses osmosis to suck the inflammation fluid out of your knee. I got a 10-pack on amazon (they ship from UK) and they are like $6/patch at $60 for the box. Are they effective? Yes, it makes a subtle difference. I have used four treatments so far and then took off a few days to see if the improvements stay or not. So far I think they do? It's too expensive to use long term so I'm not sure what I think about it. It is really weird because after treating my bad knee for about four nights, it hurts less but now my good knee is hurting. I don't know if it hurt the whole time and I never noticed with the pain in my bad knee, or if just hurts now It is also possible that my knee wrap for my good knee had a detrimental effect and bothered it, since I started using it a couple of days ago? Anyway the continual hassle of my knee isn't helping my funk, ugh.

On the plus side, I didn't want to say anything until it went through, but we sold our house (we closed yesterday) for over asking price!! It is a huge relief to be officially down to one house! Thankfully the COVID-19 crisis did not effect the sale of our house.

Eventmom I'm sorry you've gained weight too. I think the quarantine is taking a toll on a lot of people. I'm an introverted home body and even I'm starting to feel a little edgy from being cooped up.

Buzzer I enjoy reading about all your Firm workouts!! I never thought chaptering was that important either but I really appreciated the Fitness Favorites DVDs that have full chaptering, because now I like to skip around too. Those were serious weights for Vol. 2!

I finally organized my exercise DVD collection late last weekend so I have tons of new DVDs picked out that are "maybe" for my knee, and rediscovered some things that might be good. And of course now the room looks better, I can really see/analyze my collection.
Old 04-18-20, 05:53 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

today - about 15 min of TA's original cardio then Janice's ballet workout because it has such a great stretch at the end.

I'm really struggling with what workouts to do. I know one reason I loved TA meta is that I could just follow along didn't have to spend time deciding what to do. I may go back to TA for that reason but perhaps 1-2 days something else.

ebianco - you sold your house, that is such great news! I would have found that stressful. I'm also introverted but after 5 weeks of home other than very limited errands I'm starting to feel it. I think it's easy to be in a funk - I remind myself how lucky we are to have our jobs and technology, my horses here at home but I'm finding that not being able to plan is really hard - like are we going to new mexico this summer or not? and just would love to go out to dinner! take out is really limited where we are.

hi buzzer!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 07:13 PM  
Buzzer

Firm Vol 1 for legs.. DONE!

I used my 15's on my shoulders for all the leg exercises. For anything that had arms involved it (lunges with a bicep curl, lateral raises, etc while squatting and lunging) I took out the arm part and just did the legs with heavy weights. I put my FIVE POUND ankle weights on for floor work. Woof. I took them off for leg shoots so I would be able to walk later! That was HARD! it was a good leg workout though. I also still had energy for the abs, which doesn't always happen when I do the workout as shown!!

Overall, I am liking using the Firms for different emphasis. It's really working better than I thought it would!!

Today the Thunderbirds were doing a flyover all over the state, so LB and I went into town to see it. They ran late, so instead of them flying over between about 1 and 1:30, they flew over about 2:15. Then they were supposed to double back and come back over us, and they didn't. We got to the park at 12:30, and left at 2:30, and all we got to see was them in the distance, with a not very good formation, and then they were gone. It was cold, started raining, and we stood there like idiots waiting for them to come back like the flight map said they would, but instead they changed it and just went to the Air Force Base. It sucked. Everyone was standing there (there were about 25 people we could see, it was a huge park) when my sister texted that they had already gone to the ABF. Huge let down.

I guess we got out, which I needed, we got some fresh air, and ate Good Times. Stunk that while we were waiting LB couldn't play on the playground. Lots just sucked today.

Ebianco: I am SO glad you got your house sold!! I was wondering if that was even possible in this mess! Do you have an exercise bike? I know that really helped my knee with I had knee problems. Sorry you are in a funk . I think that's everyone right now. DH is calling his weight gain the "Covid 6.5"

Eventmom (and Ebianco!): We had like 8" of snow, then about 1/2 melted, then today we got about another inch in less than 1/2 hour!! Now it's all melting again. Crazy weather! I just want to get out!!

I am feeling crazy too. I am a great homebody and introvert, and I am feeling stir crazy too. The trip to town today was like a big celebration for me. We got fast food! We got to see the park! We got to be in public!!! It was fantastic in that respect. I am dying to do something more than hang out at home. I hate that I wake up in the morning and think "ugh. what can I do to make today a little exciting at get through???" I hate that thought. Usually we have 1-2 days getting out, and playing with friends. I am over this.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-20, 12:04 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Just Joyce - bra roll & boobs just up the pyramid + arms (1st two combos - she tri-sets bi/shoulder/tri full pyramid in each combo
fitprime - dance moves

buzzer - it's great to get out even a little! going to the feed store on friday- I put on earrings LOL! But I honestly am grateful I can work from home. I don't understand the protesters 'lock her up' to their governors. Okay go out, hug each other, lick each other, stay away from me and DO NOT go to the hospital if you get sick. That's the part that I get mad about - getting sick puts others at risk. rant over.

hi ebianco!
Old 04-20-20, 07:24 AM  
Buzzer

Cathe Stretchmax... DONE!

I did all 3 segments of this. It's the second time I am doing it, and I loved it more this time! I get tired of "now we're gonna..." on the last segment. I don't think she was very prepared for it, because I know from experience that when an instructor isn't very prepared they say that! Or if they are nervous, and Cathe definitely isn't nervous to do a stretch workout. So I think she just didn't know it as well.

Lots of hamstring stretches, lots of just general nice stretch. It was perfect.

I was just over it all yesterday. I am over being the only one trying to get LB active, entertained, moving... I am and have been her playmate 98% of the time we have been cooped up. She has been with me almost constantly, and my nerves are finally so raw I can't stand to even be with myself. I need time to myself, and after about 6 weeks of constantly being around her, I just about exploded. I had to sit quietly and try not to snap, so LB watched TV, watched videos on the iPad, and just bummed around.

DH was doing community meetings on zoom (he has a subscription so he hosts them so they can go longer than 40 minutes), did his own thing, worked, did stuff for his shop... about 6pm he said "well, I'm gonna go work on footers for the garage." and started to walk out. I said "LB, go help your Dad." So I got about 45 minutes to myself before LB came in asking for dinner. Followed shortly by DH. So I had to get up and make dinner for the 12,689th time this quarantine. Can't say that helped my patience, but at least I had 45 minutes to myself (where's the eyeroll smilie again???)

I know I won't get a break this week because DH works and then spends the evening doing neighborhood chats, shop stuff, Internet stuff for his shop, he has a huge Facebook group so he does stuff for that...

I have to figure out how to deal with this. Just a vent I guess. I need to rent another kid for a few months to continue this and keep my sanity.

Eventmom: I can totally get putting on earrings for the feed store!!! HA! We got a UPS shipment, and I went out when he arrived, both dogs ran over to the gate, LB ran out the front door, DH came out of his garage office and walked to him.. I asked him if he gets such a greeting every delivery. He said "Yeah, it's making me feel appreciated in my job for sure!" the little things have become such big things!!

I forgot about Joyce! I love her. I might add some of her stuff in!

Ebianco: I am so glad you sold your house. I think I already told you that, but I have been thinking about it and I think that's great! I wasn't sure if real estate would be moving in this crap. Have you looked up to see if there's a gadget you can invest in instead to do the ozone thing? or see what ingredients are in it, and try to duplicate it?
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 04-20-20, 02:56 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

first and last chapters of sue west's seasons of fitness.

buzzer - wow, I think it would be hard to be the constant parent. I'm glad at least sometimes you can have LB spend time with her dad. I don't have any advice. that's funny about ups! DH went to whole foods today - that's his big treat!

hi ebianco!
Old 04-21-20, 06:27 AM  
Buzzer

Cathe Low Impact Series Upper Body... DONE!

I don't know when I got this one, or if I got the whole series or just parts of it... it's the mystery workout. I did it for the first time, because I had to take off the shrink-wrap!! I have a love/hate thing with Cathe. I know we wouldn't get along in real life, and sometimes I think she does different moves with the weights just to do something different, but the moves aren't really necessary. However, it was a good workout! LOTS of pushups (I did them on my transfirmer high step) and I used Cathe's weights. The only time I didn't was when she grabbed 20's for her biceps. I tried, got about 9 reps out with horrible form, and dropped to 15's. I still like the Firm better than Cathe.

I am enjoying the split routines. I am finding that when I do them, I can push myself more on the muscle groups I am focusing on. When I do full body routines, there is so much going on that I tend to not give 100%. With these splits, I am giving closer to 100%. Plus, I am getting more recovery time for my muscles.

I went through my workouts to see what splits I have. I have STS, older Cathe's, lots of Amy Bento and the other lady I get confused with Amy (she did a lot of 30 minute to fitness workouts), P90X, P90X2, some meta something workout... I have a TON of splits. I have done the Firm 40 times now (not including cardio workouts), so 40 volumes, or parts, or some weight training/cardio Firm.

I think I may change my rotation to a Firm (because I still love them and the results) and split rotation. I'll use Firm for my cardio and some of my splits, but they are so limited in their splits and things that can be used for splits, that I have to branch out to other workouts. Once I get to a point where I can give more to the full body workouts, I will do them more. I have been thinking through this that Firm was my first workout love, and I need to remember my roots. They do give results, I just need more help with the results right now than I used to!!

I just really need more of a rest between workouts on my muscles, and I also need to give more to the workout instead of spreading it out through my whole body. I think this is a good choice for me to see what I can do.

Plus, I'm a lifter. I feel good lifting weights, I like the soreness, I like feeling all my muscles the next day. Cardio feels like crap, it's a necessary evil to me. Let's see what happens.

Yesterday I texted 3 families I know have been quarantined well in this crap, and said "I am going crazy. We need to get out! anyone want to meet at the school to ride bikes? We will keep appropriate social distancing". The family down the street took me up on it about 2:30pm, and we got everything together and rode until about 6pm. I needed that SO BAD!! it was nice to get out, talk to another adult, let the kid get energy out with someone besides me, I didn't have to plan things for her, or play with her... I didn't have to do anything but be there in case someone fell off their bike. They had fun, and can keep their distance on their bikes.

I needed that SO BAD. I mean, so, so much. I actually felt good last night.

eventmom: We are almost out of some things (like coffee creamer and tortilla chips) and I am wanting to make a trip to the store. I can appreciate your DH and his big treat!! it sure does feel like a big treat!!

hi Ebianco! I hope you are enjoying your workout room to help you get through this crap!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 04-21-20, 02:26 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

tonique energy stretch - I bought this right before something like hurting my hip not sure so this was the first time I used it. I liked it, it went by fast, she switches sides (unlike TA) which is nice.
karen voight - cardio from her sleek essentials dvd set

buzzer - that's nice that you have neighbors you can hang out with at a distance. Joyce is pretty much my go to for splits! I'm still trying to figure out what my rotation should be

hi ebianco!
Old 04-22-20, 09:31 AM  
Buzzer

Cathe low impact lower body... DONE!
Leslie Sansone 5 mile walk... DONE!

I was so disappointed in the lower body work. I used Cathe's weights, and I felt like it went so fast I could barely keep up and keep good form. It reminded me why I never really got into Cathe. I have a lot of her workouts, because I like lifting more than cardio, but I now remember I didn't like how fast she went on her exercises. Anyhow, I had to stop a lot and do the sets slower... like the step up on a tall step, then step down and lunge back. She goes at a break neck speed that would tweak my back if I went as fast as her.

So, I paused a lot to slow down the work. That's kinda frustrating, especially since you have to watch long enough to find out how many reps she has planned since it was anywhere from 10-16.

Anyhow, I used Cathe's weights, and it didn't seem too bad. As the day progressed, I realized I am not up for Cathe's weights. I could feel the soreness coming on!!! All the way from just below my ribcage in my back down to my calves. I guess it was a better workout than I thought!! I will do it again, but before I do I will look up the exercises and reps so when I pause it's less frustrating.

Today I woke up and it hurt to sit down! HA! so I did Leslie 5 mile walk. I love this one. usually by mile 3 I am starting to low jog, even when I am as sore as I am today! so I already got 5 miles in today. Good miles

I have one sister still doing Linda workouts, and one that is doing Leslie workouts with her daughter. They do a mile a day, but it's something! I love it!

Eventmom: I am so grateful for my neighbors. I sent out a text saying "I am going crazy!! Please, anyone who wants to bike ride, let me know. I promise we will social distance!!" So we got to ride yesterday and I got to talk to an adult, and today we are meeting again to ride. I am so excited I can barely wait!!

Hi Ebianco!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 04-22-20, 09:50 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

tonique energy mat - first 30 minutes + charlene cardio

buzzer - it looks like they are going to try to hold a horse in May. They being one the facility owners that hosts the types of horse shows I do. Their shows tend to me small (<20 entries) and so even with helper, coaches friends it's not a huge crowd. Social distancing is not hard to do at a horse show. It's raining hard here right now. sigh.

ebianco - thanks for your great review of tonique! I was glad to know a stopping points as I don't think I could do an hour of tonique. I'm considering purchasing her hawaii power of you download. hope you are doing okay.