Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-20, 09:17 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a varied day. The cleaners came this morning. I had my infusion this afternoon. I came home and cooked a pasta dish for DH. it has been gray here since Sunday, I think. I'm ready to see the .

Paula - I hope your DH gets over his cold and you don't get it.

Anita - Hopefully, you are getting some time to relax after the trip.

Dede - I'm with you on this winter being weird. I'm sorry you are dragging so much!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-20, 08:03 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on this being my last week feeding bats today at the WRC - hope Batman has recovered after his knee replacement surgery and is back! Otherwise planning on putzing around and doing some cleaning in the house. My leg got pulled back out into proper placement in its socket yesterday - not fun! Also got a hamstring exercise to add to my PT - rolling a ball in with my butt up and heels on the ball - 15 reps. I feel it more in my knee replacement leg than my hip leg.

Paula, I used to run a bit, but a 5k would be my max distance - I did participate in a few races. Yesterday there was a man on the path I use with Gus (about two miles) - he circled me three times to my one loop!

Laura, No cleaner profs coming here to do the work, but I'm cursing myself a bit - used a Magic Eraser to clean some scuffs near my staircase and I can see the paint differently in the cleaned areas - sigh. I think the powdery finish got taken off with the eraser and left a mark - hoped it was just wetness at first, but nope. I'll probably have to get the wall repainted this summer - I don't want to do it as with the staircase i don't have a good way to get up to the upper corners of that wall.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-20, 09:03 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Hi Cronies! Life has been busy here. We too are having a weird winter. Super cold to well above freezing and everything in between within a few days. DS was home last week for reading week - he's continuing to do really well It's a change for us not because we didn't think he would/could do well, but because he didn't have to or chose to work very hard in High School. This year he is excelling, putting in a big effort, all on his own. He says "See what happens when I LIKE school?" We are just happy that he is making good use of our money.

I'm continuing with the online coaching group TRE and am starting week 6 of their 8 week strength program. I am seeing strength gains which is exciting. I'm starting to feel stronger and more ready for running again. I've been doing some short walk/runs as well as some Leslie YT stuff. Lots and lots of foam/ball rolling and smashing too which seems to be making the biggest difference.

I'm a firm believer we need a shift in thinking when it comes to health and fitness - sleep and stress management are just as important as exercise and diet.

We are continuing to help out on weekends with my inlaws whenever they need us. We try visit my parents as well. It's tough. But I try concentrate on the fact that everyone is still here and we need to enjoy the times we have together.

Waves to all!
Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-20, 02:06 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I went to the Y this morning and did mostly cardio, although some of the moves had a strength component. DH has a PT appointment this afternoon, which I will take him to and then we'll go to Mom and Dad's. They got a "new to them" car yesterday and they want to show it off. Their old car apparently had a $1200 issue, one repair too far, so they went shopping.

Beth - It's great that you are seeing gains and that the coaching is helping you. What is reading week?

Anita - Ugh. I hate it when stuff like that happens. Sorry about the paint finish! I hope Batman comes back.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 02-26-20, 04:37 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello VF friends! I have been having hectic days, somehow. I feel like there's lots I want to comment on.

Laura, I'm glad your DH is feeling better. Just found out my son's girlfriend has the flu, and when they went to urgent care to be diagnosed, urgent care told them there has been quite an uptick in flu cases recently. And she had a flu shot. I hope it doesn't make its way to our house!

Dede, re: Madison/Oshkosh, I don't know if Anita would agree with this, but I've often been told Madison is like the Berkeley (CA) of the midwest. If you're not familiar with Berkeley, that probably doesn't help, but to me it conjures up images of hippies and intellectuals commingling.

A couple of our dogs have Aussie in them, Anita, and in fact, our very first dog, who died about a year ago (I think it was), theoretically had Aussie in her. We don't know for sure, but your adoption story made me think of Gina. She was about a year old when we got her, and she had already been in and out of seven homes!!! I think the place, knowing we were first time dog owners, really expected us to bring her back, but she definitely found her forever home with us. I think she was going to busy/loud suburb type homes, and we live quite rurally so she had the run of about five-ish acres. Much better fit for her. I miss that dog.

And speaking of rural living..... I scored 29 on that bubble quiz. That was a funny quiz -- very PBS-biased, it seemed. I think I live in way more of a bubble than implied by that, but they didn't even touch on my bubble-like things. For instance, we have 60-some chickens, two tractors, and an excavator. Not to mention a wood chipper. And yet we're about 30 miles from the heart of silicon valley. How's that for bubble living?

Paula, do you guys also go to the Reno air show? We have some family friends who always used to go to that one.

Oh, that MedCram site sounds interesting for the Corona virus updates. I'm supposed to be taking two different airplane trips in April and let me tell you I am not at all happy about that at this point.

I have been doing more Cathe workouts -- I've really fallen back in love with her workouts with my new mindset about modifying, cutting out, etc. It's been very fun. I'm loosely trying to follow a weekly rotation (not in order) of one total body day, three cardio, one leg day, and one circuit/metabolic. Also still trying to add in my PT core exercises and many days a walk.
Old 02-26-20, 06:38 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Good evening, ladies. I hope you all are doing well.

Today's workout was PHA2 and Step Boss bonus abs 2.

We did get rain today, but it wasn't bad. It mostly sprinkled on me while I was running errands. It will get cold tonight (about 29) but we are supposed to have a break tomorrow with no rain. Then it's back Friday. I don't miss the times of drought, but I sure wish we could split the difference.

Laura, I understand your parents' thinking. DS had the same issue with his car. Too many fixes, so DH suggested he just get another car. Are there lots of people at the Y? I don't know that we have one anymore. Is it like a big gym or a little one?

Hi, Beth! Sounds like things are improving for you. I'm glad your son enjoys university.

Anita, I'm sorry you're still having trouble with your leg/hip. If Batman returns, what will you do? (LOL! Wasn't that a movie? )

Bee, I'm sorry about your son's girlfriend having the flu. I hope you stay healthy. Cathe has been my go-to forever. I'm glad she's doing more intermediate stuff, especially since she doesn't seem to be aging like the rest of us. Maybe people are right; she is a robot.

Paula, I've never been a runner either. More like a shuffler. But, like you, I wouldn't even attempt that now.
Old 02-26-20, 09:18 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Rael Pilates Sys 7 followed by the PT routine.

Anita, I'm glad if you're glad that this is your last week feeding bats. I'm still doing most if not all of the PT rountine every day and I continue to see improvement. Although, at least at first, I hated the rolling - it was so painful. Yeah, I've noticed when we walk around the lake there are people we see a couple times as they've gone around twice to our once. Getting old...

Beth, good to see you girl. Sounds like things are going well for your DS - it's so wonderful he likes college. I'm with you on shifting focus, I know sleep has gained importance in my life. Holding good thoughts for your parents and inlaws, I know how hard that is when they are all dependent upon you.

Laura, We've done the same thing with a car more than once - the old one just started costing too much to keep running and reliable. Hope they like the new vehicle.

Bee, your home sounds lovely - best of both worlds, out in the rural area and close to the city. Do you mean the Reno air races? No, we've never gone to that, races aren't our thing. Hope you are able to stay healthy.

Deedee, Hope your staying dry. Spring is coming.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-20, 08:49 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Today I'll be going to PT, walking Gus, doing lots of laundry, stopping by the bank, packing up and getting Gus to boarding again. Tomorrow's flight is at 7 am so probably need to get up at 4 am . Not my usual day... At least I'll be getting a ride to the airport from my friend's husband. Looking forward to this weekend though!

Beth, so glad that DS is doing so well at college! I'm actually unfollowing lots of fitness leaders on FB as I'm now focusing on just doing my PT level exercises and walking - I miss being able to do things from my past, but need to focus on the current situation in my body. Glad you're still be able to help your extended family when needed .

Laura, I lucked out that a low tire pressure light just needed some air in one tire - no holes found! Glad to get this rather than $$ repairs. I'm kind of hoping this car will continue till I move to a senior place and then I can get a small car - no more big SUV. Nice your parents were able to find something that works for them in the used area.

Bee, yes I agree with your classification of Madison, especially in the university area where I lived on the West side. The East side is lots more working class people. Awwww, glad you were able to give Gina a good home . I'm looking forward to my weekend away in Philly, but hope not to pick up flu in the crowds. Hoping coronavirus is still far from spreading here.

Dede, your cold is our warm highs here! I'm still waiting to hear if Batman is good enough after his knee replacement surgery to return on Wednesdays to take car of the bats. If not, I can help a bit next Wednesday, but not a full morning. I want my Wednesdays back! I'll still be doing bats Mondays and Fridays.

Paula, I'm surprised how quickly this slow walking is my only speed has hit me - good grief I'm about ten years younger than you! I kind of lost it with knee problems before the hip problems... I'm glad Gus likes to browse the side of the path slowing me down also.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-20, 03:40 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

The sun is out today finally and I have been cold all day. It's not all that cold, high 40s or low 50s. But, we seem to have a wind chill that has an edge to it. It is REALLY good to see the though.

I recorded two videos this morning, one a segment that I missed in a video on printing in Excel and one short stand-alone video on searching and replacing in Excel. Then Mom and Dad picked us up in their new car and we went to lunch at all of our favorite place to eat. This afternoon, I have some video editing to do.

My bubble score is 30. I've almost always lived in big city suburbs. I think my score fits me.

Paula - Yeah, DH and I have too. In fact, we got his last car a couple of days after we found out we needed to spend a lot of money to fix his old car. It's good that you continue to see results from the PT exercises. Just remember that you're a winner for getting out there walking. Being passed doesn't matter.

Anita - I missed it. Where are you going this time? It's good that Gus likes the place where he boards. Good luck getting up at o'dark 30!

Dede - Yeah, it would be nice for the weather to be average rather than the highs and lows that make the averge... I think it's a pretty big YMCA. The whole second floor is the gym and the exercise room is downstairs. There are several areas of machines and some open spaces where people can do free weights and their own thing. I heard once that 1500 people go through the whole building a day.

Bee- Yeah, I've heard that the flu shot doesn't keep you from getting hte flu necessarily, but it might not be as bad, if you do. I hope that for her. And, I hope that you don't get it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 02-27-20, 08:44 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. No workout today other than some walking in Dana Point Marina. It was our anniversary and we went out to (over)eat at our favorite restaurant in Dana.

Anita, is this the trip for the flower show you're getting ready for. Yeah, I noticed today while we were doing our usual walk in Dana that I just couldn't go as far or as fast and going upstairs still hurts - not as much but still hurts.

Laura, sounds like you had a productive day. I do have to keep reminding myself to do what I can do and if others can do more and faster that's OK.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote