Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 08-04-08, 06:12 PM  
deniseg

oldies, but goodies

I lost 45 post pregnancy pounds(after having my 19 year old son) doing an oldie, Kathy Smith;s Tone UP! Does anyone remember this one? It used Large rubber resistance bands.
I also used her Fat Burning video to loose 60 Post preg. after my 13 year old was born.
I dont think there is ONE video.dvd that does it. Its Consistant healthy eating (I keep track with a food diary), keeping hydrated, exercising at least 5 days a week, with weight training included with your cardio routine. There is no such thing as a 'quick fix'. Nothing worth having is ever easy, and having a healthy lifestyle is absoulty worth having.
I also measure as well as weigh once a week, only. Sometimes youll lose inches, even when the scale didnt budge, and that decreases the discouragement factor.
deniseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 01:38 PM  
BeChi

Richard Simmons Broadway Sweat series got me started for the first month, then I added the The Firm’s Body Sculpting System (BSS1) set the next. I was near as I ever want to get to 200lbs in 2002.

I’m so happy there’s a way to get into shape at home!
BeChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 01:51 AM  
CarlaShanti

I was using Firm BSS 1-4, because they were all I had and at the time (amazing as it seems to me now), they were all I knew even existed. (I ws over 200 for most of the 90s...lost my weight 2003-4...down 70 lbs to 133, which I maintained for a couple of years. Now I weigh 140, because I let myself eat more treats.)
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 03:10 AM  
imhere2dance

I used only Denise Austin's DVDs in the beginning (for about a year), and I lost about 55 of my 80 pounds with her. Then I found Leslie Sansone a year ago and I lost the rest of my weight by mostly walking. I still do Denise's workouts a couple of times a week, but walking is my main thing now.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-10, 07:07 PM  
jahra

Ada Janklowicz (Gilads sister)

I love the series Basic Training with Ada (Gilads sister),
it really is fun to do and I saw results faster than I would
have expected. Agree with previous posts, consistency is key
Old 12-17-10, 07:24 AM  
bubbles76

I used Tae Bo and Jari Love DVDs. Oh, and some Christi Taylor later on near the end of losing the weight. I believe I lost 30 or 35 pounds the first time I tried to lose a lot of weight, back in 2007 I think. It was for the military. Although I have a zillion DVDs now, I know that I can probably always come back to these three instructors for a weight loss. But it's nice to have options
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-10, 08:24 PM  
Janga

A decade and a half ago I weighed more than 100 pounds above what I currently do and exercise was a huge factor in losing the weight in a healthy manner over a period of time but IMO exercise is an aid to weight loss and certainly paramount in building a healthy, fit body, but weight loss depends on getting the food right and I know this is controversial and irritates a lot of people when I say it (not only on here), but there it is, as far as results, there isn't a DVD that produces weight loss but of course all exercise helps the process as far as lifestyle.

That said, when I was heavier and less fit Leslie videos and long walks were pretty much the only thing that keep me consistent as far as exercise.

I miss Leslie, gave most of my remaining ones away this summer.

The above said also, weight training of any kind really does help build a body that is optimum for maintaining a weight loss, although one may put on scale weight in the beginning and that can discourage those just beginning the journey.

And the key, as someone said up thread, is yep keep at it whatever you do.

And log food! (Sorry, t'is true, it is about food!)

"Who puts the food in my mouth? God? The devil? I do!" ~ Jack LaLanne

"If you're going through hell, keep going." ~ Winston Churchill
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-10, 09:48 PM  
mommy2two

I get so discouraged cause the "easier" stuff like Leslie, or Richard Simmons, or other walking workouts. I will do some harder stuff like taebo, or firm, every once in awhile but they are a real struggle for me and not stuff I can do on a regular basis. All the talk of all the different systems has me confused on what all I need to be trying to add . I need to lose at least 50 lbs, but that will still be considered overweight. I definately do not want to lose the weight and still look flabby and unfit.
mommy2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-10, 10:18 PM  
Janga

Don't be discouraged. You will get there.

"Who puts the food in my mouth? God? The devil? I do!" ~ Jack LaLanne

"If you're going through hell, keep going." ~ Winston Churchill
Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-10, 07:52 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2two View Post
I get so discouraged cause the "easier" stuff like Leslie, or Richard Simmons, or other walking workouts. I will do some harder stuff like taebo, or firm, every once in awhile but they are a real struggle for me and not stuff I can do on a regular basis. All the talk of all the different systems has me confused on what all I need to be trying to add . I need to lose at least 50 lbs, but that will still be considered overweight. I definately do not want to lose the weight and still look flabby and unfit.
That's why I stuck to one system. Kathy Smith for years has been the number one instructor to help me lose pounds because her cardio gets me into the fat burning zone without making me puke in a bucket. I used her Fat Burning Workout back in the late 80s, Peak Fat Burning in the 90s and Project You in the Aughts.

I love PY and still have it but for the life of me I cannot bring myself to do the entire rotation from scratch again. Right now I'm starting to lose the baby weight I gained from 2 pregnancies nearly using Turbo Jam and Zumba.

If all else fails, it will be back to Kathy and old FIRMs. I was a huge FIRM fan for years because they added great tone once I'd lost the weight. Even though I sold off all my old FIRM systems, I left myself the option of repurchasing them on DVD.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broadway sweat, kathy smith tone up, mis, old thread alert, results, significant weight loss, successful weight loss, weight loss