Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-14-19, 11:04 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Jane Adams Yoga for Beginners (Lying Poses for Flexibility-- 36 min practice)

I still have a lot of lower body DOMS from Exhale Core Fusion so Jane's Lying Poses for Flexibility felt wonderful this morning. I had packed away my yoga strap so I wish I had it this morning for Jane's practice.

Beth, I struggle with shortened days and lack of daylight too. Thanks for starting us! I enjoyed hearing about all your prizes from the book sale especially your DVDs! You're going to have fun trying those out.

Cyana, I agree that sphinx pose does feel good.
It sounds like you'll be happier with your new job.

Garrie, Cathe's High Reps always gave me forearm DOMS, which I don't get from any other DVD (must be from the Front Press exercise).
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-19, 11:48 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Garrie, I definitely would have picked up T25 if I had seen it; I like Shaun T. I'm not sure if I'll wind up keeping the Pilates fusion DVD, but you win some, you lose some. Those 2 KCM workouts back-to-back must have been tough!

Paine, if you have an old belt or a tie from DH, you might be able to use that as a strap sub until you move. Are you looking forward to the So Cal weather after you move, or will it be too hot for you?

It's nice to be off work today! I was able to go to another yoga class at the new canalside studio. I also found that the are doing a special 30 days for $30, and since I paid the drop in last week and today, we decided to apply that to the 30 days, so now I have "free" yoga there until November 7. Only problem is that the class times there are tough for me. Class this morning was with one of my teachers--not my main teacher Aimee, but Joan, who owned the studio who hosted my YTT and who taught the YogaEd portions. She did a nice long preparatory series on the floor, and we did some fun stuff with the chair, such as revolved triangle.

We have another visit from the clean-up crew today, this time to assess touch up painting needs. Hopefully we will be done this week though.

Happy Monday to all!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-19, 01:26 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, it's nice that you have been able to go to more yoga classes lately.
All the belts and neck ties are packed except for the one belt that my DH wears on his jeans, which he needs, lol.
I can't wait for the gorgeous sunny weather in southern CA and flowers all year around! I won't miss the dark snowy winters at all.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-19, 02:22 PM  
Garrie A.

This morning I TAUGHT two classes back-to-back: Functionally Fit and Cardio. I had only four students for the former, but around 10 for the latter. It was cold when I got up this morning--36!

I'll be doing a heavy weight workout this evening, and will be back with my choice.

Paine: I've often used a bath or pajama robe belt as an "emergency" yoga strap. Yesterday I felt a little tightness in my inner thighs from High Reps, probably from those gliding disc lunges.

Beth: Yes, the KCM workouts were tough. Since I wanted a total body workout, I did both workouts on Muscle Up back-to-back. Workout 1 works back, chest, shoulders, and core. Workout 2 works legs, biceps, and triceps. Both workouts, plus warm-up and cool down are slightly under 30 minutes. And, as with Kelly's other DVDs, there are a variety of premixes plus a Tabata ab bonus. I'm also glad you're able to take more classes. Enjoy your day off!

Waves to all!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Joyce Vedral "Mix-It-Up" Rotation

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-19, 04:08 PM  
Anny

Beth thanks for starting us off. I am really impressed with your book sale finds, especially the Beachbody Yoga Retreat.

cyana I might just try that Jessica workout (with mods of course!) and the yoga one. Thanks for the links!

Sandra that walking at lunch time is very appealing. Can you do a walk before or after your Saturday work at the library?

Paine I am sure you will love the warmer weather when you move!

Garrie thanks so much for the Pilates suggestions. I will also look out for the ten minute solutions ones.

Yesterday I did so much walking for my main job, visiting school sites, in the warmer spring weather. My leg felt tight when I got home last night so for my workout I did Pilates. I bought a book on Pilates a week or two ago and it has three beginner workouts, three intermediate and three advanced. I did the first beginner workout.
Old 10-14-19, 06:25 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Anny, I definitely got lucky at the sale this year! I actually tried Pilates way back when before yoga, and I first used a book, Brooke Siler's The Pilates Body. I liked it at the time, but Pilates doesn't seem to click with me in the same way since I discovered yoga.

Garrie, I was just thinking recently that I haven't yet taught 2 yoga classes back-to-back! I have my college class and my studio class on the same day, but a few hours apart. It was cold here today too; I do't think we got out of the low 50s.

Paine, makes sense that your DH would need his one belt. My DH was just saying that as much as he hates the cold, he thinks he would miss having seasons; if it was warm all of the time, I don't think I would mind!

Another update on our restoration project: looks like the painting/baseboards are going to be done on Thursday and the carpet cleaning on Friday. So, by Saturday (hopefully) we should be back to normal, which is not too bad given that the issue happened a week ago Saturday.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 10-14-19, 07:40 PM  
YogaGal

Sandra: Columbus Day isn't a holiday for me either; in fact I spent part of the day at the Reference Desk and 1.5 hours teaching a class about Biography and Newspaper databases. Also while you are back to weight lifting again, I am slowing down due to my lower back bothering me again. I am fairly sure that it is a sciatica problem this time.

Beth: Regarding the crown, I thought it would take me awhile to get used to having a tooth in that space again, but surprisingly, I adapted to that fairly quickly. The harder part is remembering when I eat that I CAN chew food on my right side again and not funnel it all to the left out of habit. I think most of the houses I’ve lived in have had water heaters in the garage.

Paine: Our previous house had a light colored (creamy tan?) tile floor in the kitchen with medium dark cabinets. We liked the look, so before we moved into our current house, we had some rooms with old tile -- including the kitchen – replaced with the same tile used in the previous house with the intention of eventually replacing the old white cabinets with a darker color. So eventually is upon us! We know that white is the current IN color for kitchen cabinets, but I feel that someday that will be passé and then we will be in style. The cabinet color we picked out is called Chocolate Glazed: not too dark, or too red, but just right. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to find it. However, I think it looks darker on the computer than in real life.

Garrie: Hope you enjoyed your 3-day weekend! Sounds like you worked for part of it teaching classes. Do some heavy weight lifting for me as I nurse my back into good health.

Anny: Congratulations to your son! Glad to hear you took it easy for working out after walking so much.

Still busy at work with another class to get ready for on Wednesday and several coming up next week.

With this sciatica problem (no idea what caused it) that popped up last Wednesday morning I am doing mainly yoga and plan to alternate a short easy walking cardio with a seated upper body workout prior to some yoga. I'm skipping lower body workouts and modifying anything that doesn't feel right.

Today I did a Jessica Smith Walk and Talk youtube workout about Releasing Stress & Tension followed by Nerve Strength & Core Power Yoga from RaviAna's Yoga for Beginnners & Beyond.

Does anyone know where Linda is? Waving to her and anyone else I missed today.
Old 10-14-19, 07:45 PM  
Garrie A.

Today's workout:
Cathe's LITE Strong Body Stacked Sets: Upper (the premix that adds on abs)

I've only done this workout once before (when I first got my LITE set). This is one I need to do more often! You do three groups of six exercises done back-to-back, each group is done twice. The first group is chest and triceps, second is shoulders, and third is back and biceps. Usually I have to go lighter than Cathe with her workouts (especially with the barbell), but with the Lite ones I've done so far, I can match her (and sometimes go heavier). Without the ab work, it's only 35 minutes. I like those kind of workouts--get in, get done, and get out. And it's just right--challenging without wiping you out.

The ab work is one of the bonuses. I had to take several breaks. Intermediate my butt!

Beth: I also hope your basement is restored by Saturday.

Anny: My favorite 10 MS Pilates are the original (with Lara Hudson), Rapid Results (Lara also, has some Reformer moves done on the mat), and Pilates Perfect Body (Suzanne Bowen, fuses Pilates with barre moves)
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Joyce Vedral "Mix-It-Up" Rotation

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-19, 07:50 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Carolyn, sorry you are still bothered by the sciatica; hope it resolves soon! I do remember having to "relearn" to chew on both sides after I got my crown too. My house growing up had the WH in the garage; I think most places in this area have them in basements.

I haven't heard from Linda; I hope she chimes in soon!

I actually would have had to work today too despite the holiday, but the students have "Fall Break" this weekend. There are actually no classes tomorrow, either, but I'll be at work and have practically a full day of clients scheduled since some of the students do stay on campus during this break. Given that we are a state college, we do get a lot of holidays--I get holidays for both Election Day and Veteran's Day next month, but I always work both and then take the day before and day after Thanksgiving off.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 10-14-19, 07:56 PM  
YogaGal

Beth, My college takes off on Labor Day, but no Fall Break or Columbus Day. We do get a holiday for Veteran's Day; this is the first place I have worked (school or business) that has a VD holiday. Glad to hear that your restoration project is coming along and that it didn't interfere with your book shopping!