Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-18, 10:43 AM  
bubbles76

Kettlebells - Quick Question on Weight

Okay, so I've decided to start my kettlebell and Exhale Core Fusion rotation, depending on the response to this thread I am a newbie to kettlebells, but I have a few good instructional dvds - Sara Lurie Iron Core, AOS Providence, Kettlebell Goddess, and one Lauren Brooks dvd. I've also got a few others on standby for when I get more experience with kettlebells. However, I see that Skogg is highly recommended around here. If I have these others, do I need Skogg?

Additionally, I have a 20 pound kettlebell, as that has been recommended for starting out. But I have a tweaky shoulder. I was thinking of also investing in a 13 or 15 pound. I don't think it will be a waste of money, as I also have Kettlebell Kickboxing dvds, and one or two Paul Katami dvds that move a bit faster. What do you think: should I invest in a 13 or 15 pound, keeping my tweaky shoulder in mind, or is a 20 pound enough? I don't want to spend a lot on a kettlebell, only to outgrow it in a month.

Thanks!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 11:34 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

The Paul Katami DVDs do move a lot faster and much as I like him, I haven't kept any of them because they make me worry about tweaking my knees and shoulders. I would recommend 15 lb and 20 lb kettlebells to start (or 8 kg = 16 lbs and 10 kg = 22 lbs). I initially got an 8 kg bell and a 12 kg bell and I did find the latter useful for one arm rows, deadlift variations and goblet squats. However, the 8 kg was best for almost everything else that was more dynamic initially. I actually ended up using a 10 lb dumbbell for the overhead moves initially (and then could move on to 12.5 lb dumbbell as substitute, and eventually to 15 lb dumbbell... and by now I use the 8 kg kettlebell). For swings, I started with 8 kg (that should be the minimum so 15 lb is good too) and then quickly moved on to 10 kg. I can now do two handed swings with a 16 kg bell, but if I'm doing one handed swings, it's back to 10 kg for higher reps and 12 kg for lower reps. My hands seem to small for the bigger kettlebell so it's the little joints that get tired, not my glutes or quads, when lifting heavier bells! I eventually acquired a 6 kg bell for moves involving a bottoms-up kettlebell carry but this is a rare move in DVDs (and I can see it being handy for those starting with get-ups too and any other overhead moves).

I mostly do more "traditional" kettlebell DVDs by Lauren Brooks (lots of those!) and Anthony Diluglio (a bit), but also enjoy KCM's routines (Strength & Stamina, Slim Sculpting) and Angie Miller's Kettlebell Bootcamp. KCM and Angie's DVDs are less "traditional" so I have to use lighter bells on those -- more reps, less breaks, some weird variations I don't like so I modify (Angie's creativity with some swings aren't for me).
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 01:01 PM  
Sissy B

I have kettlebells in a variety of sizes. I need the lighter ones because of a wonky shoulder so I would definitely recommend getting the 13# or 15# kettlebell.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 01:35 PM  
Betty Boop

I also agree with getting the 15# kettlebell. Even though they are different weights, you can still use them for double kettlebell moves -- switching your hands in the middle.
Old 10-10-18, 01:36 PM  
Sissy B

Bubbles - I have a 13# kettlebell and it's the one I use the most.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 01:47 PM  
Vantreesta

I agree with getting the 15 lb. Mine get used a lot, especially when I'm restarting.

I personally think you'll be fine without Skogg. I have never even previewed mine yet. I used Lauren and Andrea DuCane (KB Goddess) when I started. I did take a one session class through community ed at the beginning but as long as you are careful with form it is probably not necessary.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 06:07 PM  
bubbles76

Vantreesta you should go preview yours, right now and report back to me And wasn't I waiting on you to preview Baladea as well?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am thinking about getting that 13 pound CAP kettlebell that has been recommended. Still debating on Skogg.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 07:12 PM  
Vantreesta

Haha! Yes, Bubbles, I think you are! I haven't previewed it either!

Maybe it would get me motivated again.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-18, 08:40 AM  
Exercise Diva

Bubbles, definitely keep the weight lower with overhead moves, especially if you have a weak shoulder to begin with. I never had an issue with my upper body before, but I'm currently in rehab with a torn shoulder labrum - I think partly due to overhead KB work that I wasn't careful with and other stuff. My PT said she is seeing more shoulder injuries because of KBs and though she's not against KBs in general, she's not a fan of some of the ballistic overhead moves (American swings, snatches). When I get back KBs, and I will because I love them, I plan on staying away from these moves and subbing in other exercises instead.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-18, 10:33 AM  
starbelly

You can always use lighter kettlebells for doubles work which is incredibly fun. Lauren Brooks and AOS (Newport?) have some double bell work and I also liked Kettlebell Bombshell Advanced DVD (low production values, but solid workouts).
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner kettlebell, kettlebell, kettlebell beginner