Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-17, 02:06 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
So I also am looking at resistance band work, which is on another thread I started. Just got back from town and found a few gems I couldn't resist getting. All for $10.00.

Element Accelerated Pilates w/Resistance Band WO - like new
Winsor Pilates Power Sculpting w/Band W) - new/sealed.
Winsor Pilates Power Sculpting Buns & Thighs w/band - new/sealed.
Winsor Pilates Basic 3 DVD set - great cond.
Winsor Pilates Sculpting Circle Advanced. (I have no circle). - new/sealed.

Would I be combining methods that work together? Any help would be appreciated.
I think it is basically safe to - I knew a Callanetics instructor who taught a fusion of them (mostly she used Pilates exercises for the abs section.) But personally, I don't like combining them - I'm not really sure why. I think you could benefit from either technique.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 02:08 PM  
TinaT

Quote:
These were the first update from Callanetics 10/10. Many people find these to be very boring, but the exercises are fine and will produce results. It has many modifications and some new exercises, but I think the other new DVDs are more updated from these. If you are shopping for new DVDs I would recommend the newer ones (the ones with Lacey) or maybe the streaming workouts
I do like what I see on the newer workouts. I think I will give them a try.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 02:13 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Would I be combining methods that work together? Any help would be appreciated.
when I was pregnant, I created a rotation that used Callanetics and Pilates. I read Mari Winsor's book "The Pilates Pregnancy" and several other pregnancy fitness books, all excellent, by Kathy Kaehler and Denise Austin. I was in "top" pelvic shape when delivery time came! bottom line is that pilates and callanetics compliment one another since the moves are different.

I also did the firm using a step co. step for leg press, all the way through my 3rd trimester. the firm is great for working out while pregnant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
These were the first update from Callanetics 10/10. Many people find these to be very boring, but the exercises are fine and will produce results. It has many modifications and some new exercises, but I think the other new DVDs are more updated from these. If you are shopping for new DVDs I would recommend the newer ones (the ones with Lacey) or maybe the streaming workouts.
before the Lacey ones came out, I considered getting the Evolution series for variety. the prices had gone down from the time they were first issued.

during my research of the Evolution series, I was surprised to find out how Callan's company made legal maneuvers to become the sole producer of Callanetics DVDs. perhaps someone can fill in what happened there.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 02:30 PM  
TinaT

Quote:
before the Lacey ones came out, I considered getting the Evolution series for variety. the prices had gone down from the time they were first issued.

during my research of the Evolution series, I was surprised to find out how Callan's company made legal maneuvers to become the sole producer of Callanetics DVDs. perhaps someone can fill in what happened there.
This is interesting. I'd like to know too.
Old 09-11-17, 07:19 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

legal docket:
http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/...359/284533/42/

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 09-11-17, 10:31 PM  
TinaT

Wow... that explains a lot.
Old 09-11-17, 10:58 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Wow... that explains a lot.
if you go to Wikipedia, the evolution workouts are noticeably excluded.

Old 09-12-17, 06:07 AM  
hotncmom

I'm in the middle of a Suzanne Bowen rotation, but after following this thread, I signed up for the Callanetics online workouts last night so I can try out the 30 Day Countdown. My fall pants are too tight so I'm hoping that adding this on will help me slip into them faster.

Of course, I'm making dietary changes as well, and trying to walk as much as possible, so it will be impossible to say for sure what part, if any, Callanetics had!

I did Level 1 last night and then previewed Level 2. They're the exact same exercises! I'm worried that this will get boring fast. Maybe I can do this while I watch TV?
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 08:09 AM  
TinaT

hotncmom ~ I worry about getting bored as well with the 30 Day program. I've decided to do a blend of Callanetics and Pilates. I know my muscles could use a ton of confusion and my joints could use a break. So, I'm excited to try this.

What programs are you using by Suzanne? I've had so many sit on my shelf, but never make it off. I ended up trading/selling them. Now of course, I might be regretting it. How have your results been?
Old 09-12-17, 09:41 AM  
IceQueen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
I'm in the middle of a Suzanne Bowen rotation, but after following this thread, I signed up for the Callanetics online workouts last night so I can try out the 30 Day Countdown. My fall pants are too tight so I'm hoping that adding this on will help me slip into them faster.

Of course, I'm making dietary changes as well, and trying to walk as much as possible, so it will be impossible to say for sure what part, if any, Callanetics had!

I did Level 1 last night and then previewed Level 2. They're the exact same exercises! I'm worried that this will get boring fast. Maybe I can do this while I watch TV?
I am doing both. I started both the SB rotation and 30 countdown at the same time. Yes, they are the same exercises throughout, but for me doing SB at the same time is also giving me some variety.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
callan pinckney, callanetics, callanetics evolution, pure sculpt