Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-15, 09:30 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Smile A year of daily Kundalini Yoga

One year ago today I wrote about my first “kundaliniversary” and how I had fallen in love with Kundalini Yoga: http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=201068 At the time I wondered what would happened if I practiced KY daily for a year… I didn’t tell anyone about it but that’s just what I did! Today marks the 365th day of getting on my mat EVERY.SINGLE.DAY and what a journey it has been!

I will admit there were days where it took all I had, all my resolve and commitment (and inspiration from the wonderful KY check-in), to get on that mat; days where I stomped to my mat, growling about this %*?!$& yoga; days where my mind never quieted for a second during a one-hour class. But most days my practice has been a joy, a refuge, an opportunity to reconnect and to recharge my energy. I think that over time I developed some sort of Pavlovian response to the Adi Mantra and as soon as I begin to tune-in I feel the world around me slowly dissolve. Now I simply cannot imagine a day without yoga.

Some of the highlights of that year were attending an incredible 3-day workshop with Kia Miller as well as completing six 40-days Sadhanas, repeating the same practice for 40 consecutive days. Otherwise I averaged about 45 minutes a day.

This adventure has brought me so many benefits and has convinced me that KY is the fountain of youth and radiant health. The health issues that had become “normal” for me – headaches, insomnia, irregular and painful periods, seasonal allergies, colds, chronic back pain, etc. – have all pretty much disappeared! I am amazed to say that at 45 years old I have more energy than I ever had in my life. I also noticed huge emotional/psychological benefits: I am calmer, more focused, much more productive, more creative, way more joyful, and more loving to myself in others. I am someone who always had a tendency towards ruminative thoughts, negativity and depression – no more!

I think I am writing this in part as a “note to self” in case I wander away from KY for some reason, to remind myself of why I should “keep up” But I so often read posts on this forum about people struggling with depleted energy, stress, imbalances, depression, etc. and I hope this will inspire you to try or to get back to Kundalini Yoga. It might not be the yoga for you (or the right time for it in your life) but it is SO worth a try.

So who else is feeling the KY love?
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-15, 09:36 AM  
mle777

This is just wonderful I've been trying to get back into yoga, any yoga, for months and this may just be the post that pushes me to do it. Thank you!

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-15, 09:59 AM  
PennyK

Congratulations!!! What a wonderful and inspiring post!!!

I have recently become interested in trying Kundalini after reading some posts including yours and have bought a few dvds, but have yet to try them. I am especially interested in the many emotional, psychological, and health benefits you mentioned. It sounds like powerful stuff! So happy for you!
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-15, 10:20 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Congratulations on completing an amazing challenge!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-15, 11:00 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Bravo Fuzzie I'm so proud of you and I'm glad you are experiencing all the wonderful benefits of being committed to your practice.

You have inspired me to get back to mine!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-15, 11:08 AM  
dianestjohn

Fuzzie, thank you so much for posting about this and congratulations on your journey! About 8 years ago I did a little Kundalini (15 minutes was my minimum) every morning and I also felt radiant, happy and healthy during that time of my life. You have inspired me to make Kundalini a priority again
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-15, 11:37 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Congratulations, fuzzie, and Happy Kundaliniversary! I fell off the kundalini bandwagon, but funny enough, just this morning in a workout I was doing I did some BOF. I love your post and your inspiration. Thanks for sharing.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-15, 12:03 PM  
Fidget Queen

Ok. That's it. I am putting Kundalini back in. End of story. Good for you for your amazing dedication. This was exactly what I needed to see today.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-15, 12:05 PM  
sherry7899

Congratulations! What an accomplishment!

I really need to get back to it also.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-15, 01:09 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Yes, congratulations! That's very inspiring!
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurmukh, kundalini, maya fiennes, nirvair singh khalsa, sad, seasonal disorder