Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 05-07-02, 07:39 AM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

Question Best-chaptered DVD's

Hey everybody,
Wondering in your DVD experience what your favorite DVD's are. I'm especially interested in learning what the best-chaptered DVD's are. My best and worst:
The best-chaptered one I have to date is Karen Voight's Cardio Strength/BLT DVD. The worst is Leslie Sansone 3 mile Fat burning walk, which has no chapters at all; just the straight workout beginning to end.
I also bought Dummies Pilates and Basic Yoga, which I think I'm going to be extremely happy with (especially the Pilates one). They are both chaptered for each pose, plus each has beg. and int. workouts, and allows instruction-only or instruction/music options.
What are your picks?
Kathy

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
*pet*art*girl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 08:34 AM  
ErinF
Exchange Moderator

Cathe's, hands down

From about the PS series onward, Cathe has offered so many chapter options it's amazing. Not only do you have chapter options for each body part in the weight training workouts, you also have chapters for each, individual exercise. It makes building your own workout a breeze. In IMax she has it chaptered for each interval if you want. And everything is accessible from the menus. Her earlier releases weren't as well chaptered. Especially disappointing was Circuit Max, which has chapters for the warm up, the cardio and leg weights circuits, upper body, and cooldown. Period. But I think the feedback from that release was what helped her home in on what, exactly, we DVDiots were looking for. And she's been giving it to us ever since.

DISCLAIMER: I appeared as a background exerciser in a Patrick Goudeau step video. Impartiality in regard to his workouts, or any those of any other instructor with complex choreography, is NOT guaranteed!
ErinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 08:38 AM  
Linda B
VF Supporter

I have the Tae Bo Live DVD, and it really isn't chaptered at all either. It separates the 4 sections (Intro, Basic, Advanced, 8 min), but that was it.

Cathe has done a good job chaptering hers. CTX is incredible. Maybe not as inspired as KV's, but as well done. You can access and program everything, she just hasn't put together alternate workouts for you (except for the Upper Body one which collects all the Upper Body weight work).

The FIRM's Super Cardio Mix is also well chaptered. They have a ffeature that lets you put 8 sections together without programming it. This is a nice feature, but it makes for a short workout (but a nice add on) and has little chapter breaks at every section.

Kathy Smith's Moving Through Menapause is nice because the chapters separate her talking from the workout. So you can do the whole workout, or listen to her talk about menapause without FFing through the parts you don't need that day.
Linda B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 09:56 AM  
MsChana
VF Supporter

My vote for worst is Yoga Journal's "Yoga for Strength & Energy." With Energy, you have 5 segments, each corresponding to a certain time of day. Chapter placement would be rather obvious you think, but no. If they ever do come up with an updated version, I'll probably get it; it bothered me that much.
Old 05-07-02, 10:19 AM  
Tami S.
VF Supporter

Cathe's DVDs are the BEST. The great chaptering makes the workouts so easy to mix and match. Especially the CTX series. And I love that she had the upper body pre-programmed.

I really like Christi's new DVDs too. I love it that she added a bonus cardio section. I like the idea of the move master. I'm just not sure it was carried out so well. My bet is that Christi will improve on this for her next DVDs. In the meantime, I appreciate her innovation!

I also like the Pilates for Dummies DVD and SuperCardio.

In general, DVDs are wonderful. It makes is so easy to skip a section and program your own workout. And best yet, NO REWINDING. I wish all videos were in DVD format.
Tami S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 10:38 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Best use of DVD tech...

The Yoga for Weight Loss DVD is an outstanding example of a great way to plan a DVD (well, a yoga DVD anyway). It has the "angle view" feature where you can view the person at your level through the whole workout. Which you can change at any time. Or go back to the regular workout where you see everyone. And for each pose a little icon appears on the screen. If you press "enter" you see Suzanne giving a detailed explanation of the pose and it's modifications.

The DVD is divided into only three chapters. But I still think they did a great job.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 10:59 AM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

The CTX DVDs are unquestionably among the best. I have a 2-disk player and almost always one or the other of the CTX DVDs is in one of the slots (usually #2, because of the ab sections).

Another excellent one is Tamilee's I Want That Body. The sections are well chaptered and she too included that angle feature Alta mentioned. What I like less about this one (besides the title!) is that there's screen after screen of credits etc before I can get to a menu. I can't skip past the stuff and I can't get to the menu with the menu button on my remote. Anyone have ideas about how to get around this? It's not just IWTB that has this shortcoming (Living Arts DVDs also come to mind), so any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 11:02 AM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Alta, I just Had to say...

...that your kitty picture is Adorable!!!

Old 05-07-02, 11:09 AM  
Tami S.
VF Supporter

Credits/Intro

Actually, that's a pet peeve with almost all my DVDs (except Cathe's). I don't mind watching the intro once (the first time I view the DVD), but ever single time is so annoying. Tami Lee's Stretch for Beginner DVD (which is quite good as well) and SuperCardio is especially annoying because the intros are so LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG.
Tami S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-02, 11:13 AM  
Linda B
VF Supporter

Oh Yeah-

Yoga for Weight Loss is a great DVD. It is especially nice for those starting yoga, as there are 3 people doing modifications, and you can pick your level, and never have to be confused trying to pick that person out of a crowd like in some other vids. Plus, the Sedonal setting is spectacular.

I am waiting for the new Yoga for Energy/Strength DVD. THey have rechaptered it, and were supposed to have a little sticker on the new one. I haven't seen any with stickers, so I haven't bought it yet. If they end up not putting the sticker on them, it may take me a yeaaar or two to trust themenough to buy it.
Linda B is offline   Reply With Quote