Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-20, 03:02 PM  
adrien_73

Workout Suggestions for My Parents

My parents are in their mid/late 70's and in decent health. Up until COVID, they had been going to the gym regularly. My mother would ride the recumbent bike and my dad would walk on the treadmill and use some strength machines.

They have an old treadmill at home that my dad uses, and I gave my mom one of those inexpensive folding bikes that i had kicking around in my garage. I am looking for some dvds to give them to use at home to add in some variety. I bought them the It's All Heart Level 1 kit & Susan Tuttle's band workout. (waiting for htem to arrive...) I'd love to hear any other suggestions you may have.

One caveat: The instructor should be down-to-earth. (I don't think they could tolerate Leslie Sanson...) Also I notice in many clips for seniors workouts the instructors sound like they are talking to small children! They won't go for that.

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 03:43 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

What about the Tracie Long one?
https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Pla...ong-p/1196.htm
Old 04-23-20, 03:46 PM  
Gams

What about Angie Miller’s Cardio and Strength Trining for Seniors or Debbie Siebers Body Dynamx 2?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 04:27 PM  
Mickey12

How about Karen Voight's Ease into Fitness? Collage has it, Mary does not. It's made for seniors. It's got two strength workouts, one for upper body and one for lower body.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 05:22 PM  
laurajhawk

Jessica Smith (DVDs or YouTube, whichever works better for them) has a pleasant demeanor and is down-to-earth. And her mom is one of the exercisers in the DVD workouts!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 06:55 PM  
anetta

Lee Holden has a 20 minute senior workout on YouTube. His parents are in it. He leads part of the workout and his mom leads the other part.

I love his presence so calm and it shows what a great interaction he has with his parents.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 07:50 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

suggestions below are not geared to seniors on purpose because i agree that if they are, they sound like they're talking to rank beginners, and your parents are well-seasoned exercisers.

Erin O'Brien - Strong Body Ageless Body or her Strong Body Fit Body
Kathy Smith's Secrets of a Great Upper Body and Secrets of a Great Lower Body
Tom Holland - any
Rodney Yee - AM Yoga for your week
Mark Laham - Yin Yoga
Cathe - Pure Strength, Gym Styles, or Travel Fit
Gilad: Quick Fit system (has cardio and weights options)
Debbie Siebers - Slim in 6

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 11:41 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

I would recommend Classical Stretch. It is really good for getting more flexible. I think Miranda has 14 day free trial right now:

https://www.essentricstv.com/browse

Also, Jessica Smith. She has lots on YouTube as well as dvds
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 12:06 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I recently ordered a bunch of Jessica's Smith's workouts from her "Walk On" series for my mom and I to do together since she's pretty inactive and her fitness center is now closed. She can do Leslie but only on mute and I can tell from previewing her Leslie's that I prefer Jessica's demeanor and variety of moves and routines/walks (they can't be too "complex" though because my mom has 2 left feet and trouble even when she comes across grapevines in her Leslie's). I know Jessica has great youtube offerings but my mom and I are pop-in-a-dvd kind of people.

(Unfortunately amazon is estimating the dvds won't arrive until mid-to-late May.)

After doing some research on VF and viewing clips, I ended up with (in order of what I was most interested in and what seemed to be most popular):

1. Walk On: 21 Day Weight Loss Plan 2 Disc Set
2. Walk On: Walk the Weight Off 30 Day Plan 3 DVD Set
3. Walk On: 15-Minute Fast Fat Blasts
4. Walk On: 3-DVD Set: 6, 30 Minute Walking Workouts
5. Burn Fat and Have Fun! 3 Low Impact Cardio Exercise Workouts, Walk Strong 2.0 (this one is from the Walk Strong Series but maybe my mom can work up to it or do the step walk w/o the step, etc.)

Boy, looking at my list, it seems like I got almost all the Walk Ons but at the time of ordering, I really felt like I had really whittled things down.

I'm having difficulty finding strength stuff for my mom to do safely other than just plain squats, pushups against the kitchen counter, bicep curls and some shoulder work. She has a ton of limitations as it turns out. She normally gets semi-private classes at a small fitness place from a personal trainer who can watch her form and work around her issues. Hopefully they'll eventually reopen.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 05:41 AM  
adrien_73

Thank you all so much for all of the great suggestions! I actually own the majority of the workouts mentioned, so it won't cost me $$ to get them started!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
senior exercise, senior workout, seniors