Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-20, 09:43 PM  
fatkat555

Question about music in videos

I asked this is another thread I started (different topic) and thought the question deserved it’s own responses.

Random question about music: How do streaming sites like Suzanne Bowen (as an example) use pop music yet avoid copyright? I’m sure there’s some loophole maybe with lack of distribution? How do streaming sites avoid the copyright, yet Facebook or other social media if you use copyrighted music the post is removed? Is it social media vs private? I’m so in the dark on this.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 12:04 PM  
horsemom2

WOW (Walking Onlne Workouts) pays some sort of a fee but not sure to which music company.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 01:40 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Heather Robertson has a link to where she gets her music in the description below the video. https://youtu.be/tb7dWAOy7zo?t=39

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 01:47 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Youtube and Facebook will mute your music that has a copyright/infringement.

Spotify has general music to use that is copyright free.

I do my classes live on Zoom as I'm not allowed to release pre recorded workouts and have no problem with using popular music.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 02:26 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan H View Post
Heather Robertson has a link to where she gets her music in the description below the video. https://youtu.be/tb7dWAOy7zo?t=39
I’ve used epidemicsound for my YouTube as well. I think it’s the way to go.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 04-23-20, 02:40 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Youtube and Facebook will mute your music that has a copyright/infringement.

Spotify has general music to use that is copyright free.

I do my classes live on Zoom as I'm not allowed to release pre recorded workouts and have no problem with using popular music.
I’m recording my Zoom classes to put on streaming site as raw videos. I definitely don’t want to copyright infringe at all so I tell my students my Spotify playlist which I use earphones for so I hear it, they can play it, but it’s not re-recorded for distribution. My son who has autism almost always makes some sort of appearance and photobombs my Zoom sessions.

Old 04-23-20, 03:37 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I remember when Jessica Smith’s Disco Dance Party was removed from YouTube for copyright infringement. Of course, I had downloaded it by then.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-20, 05:10 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

I just noticed on a workout that Cathe put on Facebook that she used https://www.getyesgo.com/. They have a 30 day free trial.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-20, 08:50 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Usually the instructors offering streaming sites are already paying an annual licensing fee to use copyrighted music in their studio or video productions. The streaming sites are typically not offering their videos for free, either. This is one way instructors can use copyrighted (original) music titles or remixed titles (not the soundalikes) in their productions. Even if a video site is not monetized, there are restrictions.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-20, 11:56 AM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan H View Post
I just noticed on a workout that Cathe put on Facebook that she used https://www.getyesgo.com/. They have a 30 day free trial.
Thank you!

Tags
music