Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-19, 07:47 PM  
Gams

Watch your credit cards

I had unauthorized charges this week on both my credit card and debit card. The one that really ticked me off was a couple (large) charges at Amazon. And then I was upset because when I called them they suggested I must have given out my credit card number - I told them I NEVER do that. Then they did an investigation and sent me an e-mail say their investigation showed my account was secure. So I called them again and said they better do a better job investigating because someone used my card number to charge a $231.00 book and some other stuff, so my account is NOT secure. What kind of book costs $231.00 anyway? I’m so not in the mood for this - we are snowed under and I’m still reeling from the loss of my little Malcolm last Monday. I don’t need this headache now.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-19, 08:51 PM  
LAC

I'm so sorry to hear about Malcolm. Losing a fur baby is absolutely heart wrenching.

To have your credit/debit card number stolen in the midst of your grief must feel like the universe rubbing salt in your wounds. I hope karma catches up with the thieves soon.

Hugs to you.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-19, 08:58 PM  
Gams

Thank you, LAC. I’ve been beating myself up all week because I wasn’t with him when he died. He died in the middle of the night while hospitalized at the vet’s office.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-19, 09:21 PM  
Messe

A professional thief managed to slip my wallet out of my purse this week and used my credit card to buy over $6200 worth of merchandise before I realized the wallet was gone. Fortunately my CC company has been incredibly helpful and understanding. The bad news is that hardly anyone accepts checks anymore, so I'm in a holding pattern until my new credit and debit cards arrive sometime next week.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-19, 09:38 PM  
LAC

Oh Gams, I know it is easier said than done, but please don't beat yourself up for that. I'm betting you did everything you possibly could for him. It is a terrible thing we humans do to ourselves sometimes, compounding our grief with guilt. Wishing you peace and comfort.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 08:58 AM  
antbuko

My debit card was hacked last year, just a week or two before Christmas. Multiple charges from AirBNB which I have never used, nor will I ever use them because it happened again just a week ago. Luckily my bank has a good loss prevention team who reached out to me to authorize the charge and I did not lose money. Last year when it happened I had used the card to tank up my car and my daughter told me that gas stations are notorious for being hacked so I have never used it since then to buy gas; I always pay with cash. This year though, I hadn't even used my card recently so I asked my bank how does this happen. He said the scammers could have got hold of my card number months ago and then just bet on me having the same card number now. It was another AirBnB charge this time. I don't know exactly how these scams operate, but I kind of blame AirBnb. There must be something going on there that facilitates these scams.

ETA: I just re-read your post, and I'm so very sorry for your loss.
Old 12-01-19, 09:00 AM  
furmomof6

We just had the same thing happen with our Amazon card. Someone charged over $300.

I'm so sorry for your loss, too! ((HUGS))

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 09:41 AM  
geojill

Gams, I am so sorry for your loss. We lost our Lola last Monday, too, and she was the last of our dogs. I donated the rest of the dog food and the three large dog beds to the humane society (the cats have plenty Of places to sleep besides the dog beds) yesterday and it made it seem so much more real

I will check my accounts later and will keep an eye on them.
Old 12-02-19, 11:18 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Gams, I am so sorry to hear about Malcolm. It really sucks when the universe decides to pile it on all at once. {hugs}

My debit and PIN were skimmed a month ago, probably at a gas pump, and thieves were able to take over $900 from my account at an ATM in Florida (I'm in CA), leaving me with about $200. I didn't know about it til someone else in Chicago tried to use a fake card with my info in person at Gucci and Walmart, both of which were declined because my account was basically empty and my bank's fraud dept was alerted. I'd been blissfully paying bills not realizing I had no cash, so they mostly bounced. Thankfully, my bank is refunding the stolen cash and reversing the overdraft charges but the investigation has taken nearly 30 days.

tl;dr: Go inside to pay for your gas!

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 01:23 PM  
mtngoat

Thanks Gams for the warning about credit cards. I will be extra-vigilant!

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Malcolm. Believe me I know all about self-reproach (warranted or not), but please be kind to yourself. Malcolm died in the care of professionals - you were taking good care of your fur-baby. It's not feasible to stay there 24-hrs a day.

(geogill my condolences as well.)

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote