Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-18, 03:22 PM  
PhyllisG

Yogalosophy?

I didn't pay much attention to this when it first came out but it was mentioned in another thread and caught my interest. I am doing mainly yoga these days. So what do you think? Pros and cons. Any good clips? I checked on youtube but maybe didn't look carefully enough. Anyone have one they want to de clutter or trade. Any info would be appreciated.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 06:18 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I've never done the longer practice. I saw that other thread, too, so last night I pulled it out to preview the longer practice. I didn't have the sound on and I was FF'ing, but it seemed to me to be a series of chapters of different moves rather than one flowing practice. Maybe someone else will chime in and either confirm or dispute that. The short practice that's 30 minutes is a nice flow with built-in toning moves like squats, lunges, etc. I've done it maybe a handful of times in the years I've owned it.
bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 06:21 PM  
Eibhinn

I was never able to do much with this one because I have bad knees. It's essentially a fusion of body-weight strength training and yoga. So my recollection is that where you would usually do chair pose, the instructor had you doing a bunch of reps of squats, and where you would usually hang out in a warrior pose, you do lots of lunges. The instructor is a former comedian/actress, so she's very jokey, and I recall other people found it annoying or inappropriate. I actually enjoyed her instruction, and found the video really visually appealing, I just couldn't do it because it killed my knees.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-18, 09:13 PM  
Scorpio6

It really helps if you also get the book, it explains in detail the flow, and it does flow. It's just that there's the basic version, and then there's the fully-leaded full length version. The book tells you what's the basic and what it leaves out, then day by day coaches you on what to add on. It also gives modifications.

I love the music she chose for the dvd, and it has a sound option where you can just hear the music without instruction. I like that it kills two birds with one stone, you get the yoga, and you get the toning effect, and I guess if you wanted to really amp it up, you could add hand/wrist/weights or weighted gloves to the whole thing, the way Rodney Yee did with Yoga Burn. It also would be really easy to continue with her line of thinking and add in several barre moves, which I have done.

Anyway, I highly recommend it, and I liked that she has an irreverent sense of humor and isn't so deadly cult-serious the way a lot of yoga instructors are, that drives me up the wall. I think Mandy Ingber must have been the inspiration for Jillian Michaels' two yoga dvds, the second of which was Yoga Inferno.

Last edited by Scorpio6; 01-27-18 at 09:14 PM. Reason: add info
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-18, 10:21 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
The instructor is a former comedian/actress, so she's very jokey, and I recall other people found it annoying or inappropriate.
I think that what others found inappropriate was not just that she jokes but that she says "ass" several times. (To me, that just seemed unnecessary.) It was okay for a fusion routine but not really what I want for my yoga practice, so I got rid of it awhile back. You could read my review for more info.

PS--I also tagged this thread, so you could check out past threads on this DVD as well.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-18, 12:10 PM  
sillygirl

Haven’t done it in a while but remember loving the music-only express workout. There are written cues on the screen. Don’t mind her saying a$$ when I’m alone but sometimes my kids walk into the room.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yogalosophy